Any STO Refugees posting on the forum yet?

85 replies to this topic

#1 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hey all, first let the great exodus from the travesty that STO has became, begin.

Second, Hey to everyone that I don't know yet.

The idea of this thread is to see how many of my buddies have already made the jump over here. Post up if you have fled STO.

I have to admit, I'm more excited about this game than I have been excited about any other in quite a long time.

Edited by Mavairo, 13 August 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#2 HDMan

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 80 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

I still like STO... Though if you are a "Mech-head" like me, I STRONGLY recommend a founders package so you can check this one out!

#3 Auzen

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

I wish I could get my lifetime subscription money back from STO and put it to better use with a founders package here. :P I haven't logged into STO in a long time; I keep thinking I should log in and poke around with it some more, because I did like the combat changes they put in eventually, but I never actually get around to updating and logging in. The space combat was a fun diversion, but...

...now that MWO has my attention, I doubt I'll ever give STO another minute of logged in time.

Now I just need to convince myself to spend some money on this game. I'm a bit gun-shy after what happened to me with STO, an investment I don't feel worked out in my favor.

Edited by Auzen, 13 August 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#4 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

I enjoyed STO although I wasn't a hard core player by any definition. Of course this is a very different game.

#5 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

STO looked like a train wreck before it was even released. Never wanted to try it.

#6 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

I'm willing to spend 60 on this one easy I think.
I spent that on Dragonage 2 (another heinous disappointment), and frankly after some of the things one of the devs in STO said I can safely say they won't be getting another dime out of me for new ships. Giving them money, for any reason will just encourage their bad decisions.

I was going to buy Fleet Vorcha till one of the devs said things that were just so stupid that I realized that 20 bucks for a new ship could go 1/3 the way to this game, or buy a couple of car packs in Forza4.

The gameplay that I've seen so far, already has me hooked. Can't wait for payday :P

#7 Phalanix

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

Used to play STO, didn't abandon it though, just haven't had time nor the mood to play. It's been awhile since I've played, but I did like the ship combat in that game. MWO is a different breed though, can't compare the two. LOL

#8 Dragonlord

• 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

I have played STO on and off, but not for some time.
I originally bough a lifetime sub, which I now consider a waste of money since they made an online arcade shooter out of my favorite IP after promising a Star Trek MMO.

Edited by Dragonlord, 13 August 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#9 Telecleez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationLost in the void

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

I've played STo and SWTOR but i haven't been on either much lately especially sense SWTOR is gonna be going free to play... wish i could take back the money i spent on SW and put it here, unfortunately no luck with that but i am try'n to save up for at least the $30 fp but yeah i fled STO as well as Swtor nice to have fellow refugees here to i dont feel so lonely now :P

#10 JFlash49

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationKingston

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Nope...

#11 Shad0wsFury

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

STO was SO BAD. The only thing worse about STO than STO was their customer service.

Luckily EVE Online has a better, deeper, richer experience anyway.

#12 Dreadnought13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

Played STO beta.

Got my char (Andridge@sanctuary13) to RA within 3 weeks of casual play

???

Left.

I came back for the F2P hullabaloo, but Perfect World is a nightmare to deal with, especially now that they REQUIRE you to login via a PW account instead of Cryptic.
Crypitc will never get another cent of my money again, that's for sure. The space battle was a lot of fun, but was built by a different dev and then Craptic took over, copied and pasted their Chumpions Online dookie onto it and voilá! A pile of dookie with a Lifetime Sub option!

To this day I still want to love it, but every time you actually play it you remember why its a failure. Space combat is a blast for a while, but once you hit RA theres not much to do in space, and ground missions are pure drivel, even with the updated aiming mechanic. Instead of repairing the multitude of issues, they just kept adding more and more crap to the C-Store at insane prices (550 for a troi uniform, and it doesn't even include the uniforms she wore for the majority of the F%@#ing series.)

Anyways, since its free you cant really say you've COMPLETELY quit. I've still got 150 of those zeni points but nothing worth spedning them on.

The fact that you can STILL buy lifetime subs, and they're STILL $300 just shows that Craptic isn't a real game dev, they're just con-men plain and simple.

Welcome to MW:O.

#13 nad2357

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

i still like and play sto but i am very excited for mwo

#14 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

View PostShad0wsFury, on 13 August 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

STO was SO BAD. The only thing worse about STO than STO was their customer service.

Luckily EVE Online has a better, deeper, richer experience anyway.

STO could have been flat out amazing. It's pvp dynamic was certainly unique and very engaging. (the gameplay was... not so much on the game types variety which still remains Pitiful.) The devs kept hitting it with a shovel to drive it and us away though.

Also, be fair for Cryptic to have bad customer service/support they would have had to had it to start with. :P

Eve to me was a Spreadsheet. Not nearly active enough with your ship in combat. To each their own I suppose.

Also question, those of you that have made purchases, to get in beta, which did you go with and why. Is it worth it to go the full 120 vs the 60?

Edited by Mavairo, 13 August 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#15 Galvanized

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

STO was a good game, it wasn't really star trek unless Star trek was only the DS9 Space battles.
I still like it, in short spells, very short spells. It's not really an MMO in that sense.

EVE: is STO's opposite. Its well made, pretty polished, NO content for people who like plot. The action is slow even on fast ships, the logistics are heaven for some, a snorefest and headache for others.
Basically if you want to get stuck in immediately, avoid it, if you want to earn everything you achieve (except skills) then go for it.

MWO: Looks Awesome, and looks like it has absolutely nothing to do with EVE or STO in terms of gameplay, though I could be wrong, I hope its slow and stompy, but not slow and boring, there is a fine line there, I think MWO has probably managed it since the staff understand mechwarrior (behind avid gamers themselves).

#16 anonymous175

• Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

I thought this was The Cruiser Thread.

If you're looking for C-Bills, you know who to call.

I started with Elite because I thought it'd be the usual arms race so I picked the Atlas.

Once I started to play around with the rest, I enjoyed every chassis in some way or form so I wanted a Founder of each weight class. So that's why I subbed gold for these veteran rewards ho ho ho.

And of course, we're supporting a fine fine fine crew.

Edited by Zeno Scarborough, 13 August 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#17 Demokitos

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

Well after watching some vids and Mav confirming viable military strategies I will very shortly be getting this game and testing the beta out.

#18 Shad0wsFury

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

EVE can be pretty boring, I'll grant, until you start making enough money in-game to just PvP non-stop with no worries about your losses because your income can easily afford it.

As to why I went Elite, I've been a Battletech fan since the mid 90s, and if I had the extra money I would have gone Legendary just for that reason. Everything I've seen tells me this game has A LOT of potential.

#19 CGB Trent

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 17 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, MB, Canada

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

Like most mmos solo play is fun for a while then it can become a chore to log in and do things.
I have played most major games out there WOW, STO, EVE, and TOR, and WoT. The main reason I still play the last 4 is because I still have friends playing them, which IMO makes these games more fun, as long as you have Vent or TS lol

#20 Renaissance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNew Jerusalem, Tharkad

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Not really an STO refugee. I still play STO regularly and am really impressed with how much the game has improved since launch. Not sure where this talk of awful customer support has come from, since I've had nothing but fantastic customer service from Cryptic. I mean I bought a lifetime subscription after the deadline needed to get a Liberated Borg character... and I simply e-mailed them and asked nicely if I could get it unlocked/flagged for my account. And they did it. They didn't have to. By all rights I had missed the deadline that was clearly specified. But simply asking nicely and being polite worked. I can't say that about some other MMO customer service people. Of course, much much later they flagged all lifetime subscriptions as getting the liberated borg, but this event happened well before then.

That said, STO does have a lot of bugs and it seems with every new thing they add or fix, 5 other things get broken in the process. And that gets really old.

I do play often, though. Mainly because of the new fleet starbase and fleet project system they introduced. It really makes me proud to be part of a fleet and work as a team in a collaborative effort to improve and upgrade the base and get high-quality equipment for my rewards.

But MWO? MWO is awesome. I love everything PGI has done thus far and they really seem to be doing the IP justice. The fact they're devoting themselves to sticking close to the tabletop rules is very admirable and respectable. The news updates every single day is great, even if it's some flavor text and footnotes on in-universe history going on. I see MWO going far and accomplishing much and leaving the predecessing BattleTech PC games in its wake.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users