Goon-Made `Mechs and other Crazy Things From SomethingAwful

53 replies to this topic

#41 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

Get someone to make a mini of that Marauder and I'd buy it. Good job.

#42 TG Xarbala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationCan I get back to you on that?

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 August 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

well...I probably took your input TOO literally. Decluttered and simplified the lines. Not in love with the results, but maybe that is the point? If the basic shapes by themselves don't rock your socks, then all the details and doodads in the world are really just window dressing?

*shrugs* Well, regardless, the more input, the more I learn.

Yup! That's exactly my point, actually, and a point I had to learn myself--one vital to the BT aesthetic, as pointed out to me long ago. Now that you have the design philosophy down, all I have to say is to work from the basic structure (and skeleton) first to keep things in line with a realistic relative perspective on each body part. This is the biggest flaw in my Guillotine drawing, that I didn't start with a solid structural-skeletal foundation before getting to details. It's a bit of a hassle to begin with but once you see how shapes are supposed to interact three-dimensionally you can start making solid and convincing action poses.

Incidentally, this is why I try to limit my own "action" in my sketches, hah. When giving advice I always feel like a pot calling out a kettle.

Personally, I don't draw skeleton sketches, but I do block in rough shapes to make sure they interact properly. I guess since I keep talking about my Dougram Reseen project, I might as well post my WIP now.

Spoiler

Yes, I sketch my `Mechs all out on a big long "sheet" in Photoshop. Some of these I'm working straight from the Unseen and editing from there, others I'm starting from the Project Phoenix versions and working backwards to fix them up. Only the Shad is a noncanon variant, and it's my entry to the PTN Ryuken contest. It was one of the winners, though not because of any art I posted. And frankly the art for my Shad is long overdue.

Also for my Capellan MRM-40 Raven. Heh.

Once I finish the Dougram `Mechs I'll edit the OP to properly reflect the fact that I'm turning this into the "TGX Art Megathread" so I don't take up too much space in the art forum. I'll post a bump with the finished art and quietly edit the OP to include it as well.

Edited by TG Xarbala, 22 August 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostTG Xarbala, on 22 August 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

Yup! That's exactly my point, actually, and a point I had to learn myself--one vital to the BT aesthetic, as pointed out to me long ago. Now that you have the design philosophy down, all I have to say is to work from the basic structure (and skeleton) first to keep things in line with a realistic relative perspective on each body part. This is the biggest flaw in my Guillotine drawing, that I didn't start with a solid structural-skeletal foundation before getting to details. It's a bit of a hassle to begin with but once you see how shapes are supposed to interact three-dimensionally you can start making solid and convincing action poses.

Incidentally, this is why I try to limit my own "action" in my sketches, hah. When giving advice I always feel like a pot calling out a kettle.

Personally, I don't draw skeleton sketches, but I do block in rough shapes to make sure they interact properly. I guess since I keep talking about my Dougram Reseen project, I might as well post my WIP now.

Spoiler

Yes, I sketch my `Mechs all out on a big long "sheet" in Photoshop. Some of these I'm working straight from the Unseen and editing from there, others I'm starting from the Project Phoenix versions and working backwards to fix them up. Only the Shad is a noncanon variant, and it's my entry to the PTN Ryuken contest. It was one of the winners, though not because of any art I posted. And frankly the art for my Shad is long overdue.

Also for my Capellan MRM-40 Raven. Heh.

Once I finish the Dougram `Mechs I'll edit the OP to properly reflect the fact that I'm turning this into the "TGX Art Megathread" so I don't take up too much space in the art forum. I'll post a bump with the finished art and quietly edit the OP to include it as well.

Awesome stuff. I love the dougram designs. The scorpion makes me want to get you input on a stylized chassis version I did, but seem to be having the devils time getting legs that I am happy with. I actually do the skeleton/block thing with my pencil art, which after many mods, ends up getting inked, so that I can erase the pencil. I taught my ex-GF (who is now far better at it than I) that technique, because I saw a lot of potential, her eye for detail and texture was great, but her ability to pose and proportion was way off. Once she took that technique, and a few other observations, she was absolutely on fire.

#44 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

All of those are excellent, and that is now officially my favorite Battlemaster re-design.

View PostTG Xarbala, on 20 August 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

Battlemaster, by dis astranagant: Taking a distinctly different bent from the other Assault-class proposals, the 1KD Battlemaster removes the stock variant's SRM launcher, Machine Guns, and one of its total six Medium Lasers--moving two from the torso to the left arm. The PPC was replaced by a Kuritan experimental Heavy PPC and the spare weight was allocated to enough Jump Jets to give the Battlemaster mobility comparable to a Highlander. And unlike the Highlander, the BLR-1KD was designed to operate independently from major supply lines. The "jump-mobile" Battlemaster design is still in consideration pending further developments from the NAIS. At the moment, though, the tonnage allocated to maintaining heat levels limits the current 1KD's combat potential.

So much want. :)

#45 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Yeah yeah, slag me for reviving a dead thread. But this is the first time I've seen this post.

Really liking the mech designs, especially the Warhammer and Battlemaster variants. Do you suppose they are far enough beyond the original unseen art to pass a legal challenge? Anyone suppose PGI would be interested in incorporating two of my all-time favorite mechs into the game as re-re-seens? (With proper rights and permissions, of course!)

PGI - are you listening? Get your lawyers on this. Stat! ;)

Edited by HighTest, 03 December 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#46 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostHighTest, on 03 December 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Yeah yeah, slag me for reviving a dead thread. But this is the first time I've seen this post.

Really liking the mech designs, especially the Warhammer and Battlemaster variants. Do you suppose they are far enough beyond the original unseen art to pass a legal challenge? Anyone suppose PGI would be interested in incorporating two of my all-time favorite mechs into the game as re-re-seens? (With proper rights and permissions, of course!)

PGI - are you listening? Get your lawyers on this. Stat! ;)

Ain't nothing wrong with Nerco-ing this thread. TG is a great artist, and even more to point, a real good source of info for improving one's own art. This, IMO is one of the better threads on the forum.

(also had to fix the busted link on my reply)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 03 December 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#47 Backhack

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWelp!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

There is not enough discussion about the Justice Foot going around, this needs to be amended.

#48 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

That is a good point. TG, I DEMAND that you illustrate the Ballad of Engine Joe as a children's book.

#49 Prawned

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

A good thread, but does need more Justice Foot.

#50 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostTG Xarbala, on 20 August 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

Posted Image

All drawings are amazing, but this Wraith... this Wraith is of a whole new league.

#51 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

Wonderful....

#52 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Great stuff...man, I wish I had artistic talent like that.

#53 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

As someone with little experience in the tabletop, I can't comment on the rest, but the art is superb.

#54 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:11 AM

Very Gundam-ish designs. Love the Gargoyle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users