Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostSoda Popinsky, on 20 November 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

Made it back to Kerbin with 66 m/s of delta-V to spare! Talk about going on fumes.

Nice!

In career mode I got a Kerbal to orbit as one of my first missions, but ran out of fuel to burn him down. So once I unlocked some unmanned craft, I sent up a rescue mission. Planned an intercept, got the rescue vehicle close, then sent Jebediah out on a 1km spacewalk to close the distance. He made it all the way to the capsule, then noticed Bill sitting inside staring out at him. I had forgotten to take out the kerbalnaut when I launched the vehicle. So back to his capsule to wait for the next mission! :ph34r:

#22 Tolkien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

View PostHeffay, on 21 November 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

Nice!

In career mode I got a Kerbal to orbit as one of my first missions, but ran out of fuel to burn him down. So once I unlocked some unmanned craft, I sent up a rescue mission. Planned an intercept, got the rescue vehicle close, then sent Jebediah out on a 1km spacewalk to close the distance. He made it all the way to the capsule, then noticed Bill sitting inside staring out at him. I had forgotten to take out the kerbalnaut when I launched the vehicle. So back to his capsule to wait for the next mission! :ph34r:

I think we've all done something similar... my most disappointing mistake was planning a multi launch mission to Eeloo that would require multiple pieces of equipment to dock in orbit, fly to eeloo together, do the mission then have a return stage sent ahead for docking and bringing the crew pod back to kerbin.

-Sent the fuel+engines probe to eeloo
-Sent the buggy carrier out to eeloo
-Sent the fuel and drive section up to orbit of kerbin
-Sent the crew module up to kerbin and then noticed I couldn't get it to dock....

Turns out I had installed all of my docking ports backwards and the vehicles were all useless... had to do the designs over and repeat allllll the launches.

I also have a poor kerbin from one of my first launches when I hadn't figured out how to 'hit' a stable orbit yet stranded orbiting the sun. I really should rescue him one of these days.

#23 Soda Popinsky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

View Postdal10, on 20 November 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

you almost had to send 2 rescue missions.

Are you kidding? 2/3 of my missions tend to be rescues of earlier botched missions.

View PostTolkien, on 21 November 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

I think we've all done something similar... my most disappointing mistake was planning a multi launch mission to Eeloo that would require multiple pieces of equipment to dock in orbit, fly to eeloo together, do the mission then have a return stage sent ahead for docking and bringing the crew pod back to kerbin.

-Sent the fuel+engines probe to eeloo
-Sent the buggy carrier out to eeloo
-Sent the fuel and drive section up to orbit of kerbin
-Sent the crew module up to kerbin and then noticed I couldn't get it to dock....

Turns out I had installed all of my docking ports backwards and the vehicles were all useless... had to do the designs over and repeat allllll the launches.

I also have a poor kerbin from one of my first launches when I hadn't figured out how to 'hit' a stable orbit yet stranded orbiting the sun. I really should rescue him one of these days.

Wow. I don't feel so bad now. My first lander I sent to Duna, I didn't have a good grasp of delta-V budget, and put way too big of a rocket engine on it, and way too much fuel. So instead of a nice squat lander (like my Mark 2), I sent in a 3 story rocket that lands on it's rear with 3 dinky landing legs. I had to have 3 ladders to reach the ground.

I also did an orbital assembly where I stacked the top lander can onto the rest of the lander and attached command module, but realized when I landed, I attached it 180 degrees the wrong way. The top ladder connected to nothing, as the rest of the ladders were on the other side.

I actually sent this and it's sister ship (connected) to Duna & Ike. First landing attempt was at Ike. After landing on a slightly inclined surface, and worrying this top heavy monstrosity would topple over, I finally hopped out of the landing can to do some EVA. Since the ladder didn't reach the ground, I just used the jetpack to get up to the landing can (3 stories up). My kerbal barely tapped the lander, and I watched in horror as the whole thing started to tip over in slow motion (Ike's gravity is pretty low), and land on it's side. Attempts to launch sideways didn't fair well.

So in summary, I made a horribly top heavy lander, assembled it backwards, and knocked it over after getting it millions of km to Ike.

#24 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostSoda Popinsky, on 21 November 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

So in summary, I made a horribly top heavy lander, assembled it backwards, and knocked it over after getting it millions of km to Ike.

But that's the best part of KSP! Rrrrrrrrrrrescue missions!

#25 Soda Popinsky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostTolkien, on 21 November 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

But that's the best part of KSP! Rrrrrrrrrrrescue missions!

If that's true, 2/3 of my missions are the best part of KSP. Doesn't matter, after that fiasco, there wasn't anything left to rescue.

#26 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

Super-necro:

My Eurofighter replicas. I felt like this poor plane needed to fly at least once, even if it's just in a game.

Plane is shipped in one or two seat version. Flies pretty well actually.

Spoiler

#27 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostIqfish, on 21 November 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

Super-necro:

My Eurofighter replicas. I felt like this poor plane needed to fly at least once, even if it's just in a game.

Plane is shipped in one or two seat version. Flies pretty well actually.

Spoiler

Nice. I can't really get into the planes. Takes ages to get anywhere in them.

#28 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

View PostBilbo, on 21 November 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

Nice. I can't really get into the planes. Takes ages to get anywhere in them.

Pretty much the opposite for me, after landing on mun manually once I actually completely stopped building rockets. I only build planes actually

#29 Sizzles

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationWaiting in line for his UrbanMech UM-PP.

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

Trying to build one of these.

Posted Image

A K-1 Drop Shuttle.

Considering I typically build nothing but aerospace craft . . . It's an interesting challenge.

#30 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:51 PM

KSP is such a great game. :)

#31 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:15 PM

Attach the craft loadout file for those please! I still have problems with plane building, and SSTO is something I really want to get good at.

#32 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:15 AM

I made a Kerbal video!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users