214 replies to this topic

#61 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

So far so good.

Do you think there will be any hickups with water cooling? Seems like it should be pretty straightforward.

#62 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Mainly where to mount the rads and how to route the tubes

#63 Evedro Solais

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 179 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

I've always been wary of watercooling, ya know Condensation+Electronics=A new computer On the other hand I do have plans to build an AC unit for my PC. I'd rather blow chilled air though my case than cool the heatsink directly with watercooling.

#64 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

Watercoolings not that bad really. I've been doing it for the past 5 years or so. Lately there's enough manufacturers that finding purpose-built parts for stuff isn't that hard. Even video card blocks come out in a timely fashion now adays.

When I built my gaming seat/desk, I just kept all the PC components in the Case. It's a mountain mods U2. It's plenty big. There's a 3x120 rad in the front you can see, and a 2x120 one in the lower back. It's just held on by two thumb screws on the bottom, so it comes off with ease if you need to actually move it somewhere. Getting the monitor off the arm is more tedious, and that's still thumb screwed. Mountain mods makes bigger cases, but that one's pretty big on it's own. 18" cube (the monitor is a dell 30" if that puts it in perspective).

Posted Image

#65 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

Liquid in a WC system is never really that cool (or more specifically, never cooler than the ambient temp), so it never causes condensation (can't drop ambient air below the temperature for condensation with liquid that's only ambient temperature :lol:). If you tried it with chilled liquid, yeah, then you'd have a problem :)

Edited by Catamount, 07 March 2012 - 06:03 AM.

#66 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Sweet rig Wraeththix I just sold my MM case to fund this project, BTW man you looking for a Merc corp to join up with?

#67 Vernius Ix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOscar Mike

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

I am building a new PC now that I am going to throw either a Antec h20 920 or a Corsair H100 in. Since I am just now getting my feet wet (lol) in WC, I figured I would go with a premade closed system.

#68 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

View PostVernius Ix, on 08 March 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

I am building a new PC now that I am going to throw either a Antec h20 920 or a Corsair H100 in. Since I am just now getting my feet wet (lol) in WC, I figured I would go with a premade closed system.

Nothing wrong with that, its important to always push your limits but nothing sucks more that ruining hardware cause you bit off more than you could chew.

#69 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

Small update

My 2x4 HDMI Matrix Showed up in the mail yesterday, this little box of awesome will let me switch between 4 different HDMI inputs and out put them to either the 42 inch LCD or my projector or both at the same time! The reason for a device like this is that I plan on watching more stuff on my LCD than projector as much as possible due to the significantly shortler lifespan of the projectors bulb.

Posted Image]

Next up is my XFX 6950 2gb showed up today! Its been flashed to a 6970 Bios and although used is in like new condition. I moved my sapphire doen to the next slot and slid the PCTV card inbetween and presto enough power to rock my triple monitor setup properly. I added some extra fans to make sure cooling doesn't become an issue.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now this is not the hardware I plan on mounting inside the desk its just my benching/review setup. For the Desk build I am hoping for a 2011 or AMD build so I will have enough PCI-E lanes for all of my needs.

#70 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Just played some MW:LL on Very High with AAx4 in triple eyefinity and This is now my face

Posted Image

#71 Vernius Ix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOscar Mike

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

I am so jelly right now...

What monitors are you using for your eyefinity set up?

#72 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Acer 23 inch 1080p's they were cheap and work really well.

Ok New update, while I am still wrangling with Cad I decided to start working on the layout of the custom printed vinyl layout for my desk top. As I have said before it will be Mech Warrior themed as that is my favorite gaming franchise and with the advent not or 2 but 4 new Mechwarrior games in the works I couldn't think of anything more appropriate. So right now I am going to be doing some test runs with the artwork and sizing for the areas I have to work with. First up I have the Map of the entire Inner Sphere which I got from the MechWarrior Online art page. I blew it up to 30' tall by 47' and printed it on some heavy duty paper, this is just to see how the artwork looks at this resolution I have not vectored or tweaked it yet but its always important to test print as you never know what you aren't seeing on your monitor.

Doing a rough trim.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next tape it down to let it stretch a little and offgas.

Posted Image

This is the area I want to put the map on.

Posted Image

Do the final trim.

Posted Image

And check how it lays out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#73 Vernius Ix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOscar Mike

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

The jelly continues.

#74 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

oh oh oh ... I soooo want this kinda map toooooo ... :)

#75 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Any chance of a detail photo of your print test?

#76 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Sure I will get some later tonight.

#77 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Amazing work Vince. I just wish I could be there and help build it just to say I was part of the awesomeness.

#78 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

there is a way........send money and I will put you in the sponsor section I have planned for the desk :P

#79 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Will do. :P

#80 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa