121 replies to this topic

#81 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostCPTAmerica, on 15 February 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

UPDATE: Okay, I saw that all "supporting elements" will share a cool down timer but, I am still curious as to the availability of these resources to the mechwarriors in the company.

Couple of ideas spring to mind. Starting Company Commander dictates how many/what type depending on modules installed , and if he gets taken out and command shifts to a lance commander, he gets access to said allotment and CD. How they decide if he's allowed to do so with or without the appropriate modules seems like it'd be up to testing/their ideas about how to handle it.

or

Possibly the unit as a whole provides the number of uses depending on modules installed, and the type still being dictated by the commander's modules. Not protecting a commander may lock you out of said abilities if he dies, giving extra incentive for smart commanders and good teamwork. This could be moved to a team bonus, something that's allotted to your team as a whole so you have access regardless of who's in charge should the commander die. Still kind of similar to the first scenario, and these are only two quick ideas and are in no way super thought out.

In any case, I'm sure they'll answer us about this eventually, and it'll probably be a fair and easy solution.

#82 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

Aegis Kleais
you must really like the swiftwind

#83 Petriarch

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationEllwangen, Germany

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:44 AM

I dont need a mech lab.

Too much customizing destroys the balance of the game.

No one needs a mech with 15 medium lasers.

I prefer a limited number of choices.

#84 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts
  • Location"Mechs are mobile war machines. You're either moving, or you're dead"

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:55 AM

Thank you very much for the answers. This gives a clear idea on how the system works.

I like it :)

#85 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:09 AM

SPROUT, Please use the multiquote button .... :) It will keep you outta trouble with the boss.

View PostSprouticus, on 15 February 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

View PostSprouticus, on 15 February 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

View PostSprouticus, on 15 February 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

#86 The Maestro

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

So heres the million dollar question. I see alot of talk about varients, but nothing about a mech lab. It sounds like we will be limited to just certain varients of each chassis and no real ability to customize the mech to our liking. Any dev care to expand on this?

According to BattleTech canon, any of the 'Mechs available on launch are pretty much impossible to customize anyway.

#87 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

View PostNaduk, on 16 February 2012 - 12:02 AM, said:

Aegis Kleais
you must really like the swiftwind

Why is that?

#88 Khushrenada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

DAVID]So there is no official Commander role, there are simply people who have installed Commander modules on their ’Mech. If someone has three module slots on their ’Mech, they could install three Commander modules, one Commander module and two Scout modules, or any other sort of combination. As a result, the game does not officially enforce, or even recognize, any sort of strict Commander role. It will be up to players to decide who should bring which Commander modules (as well as any other modules) into the match, as well as establish any sort of chain of command they wish to follow.

i`m slightly irritated by this statement... in the beginning of the information month the devs said "you have to watch out for your commander, if he dies, its all over for you with commander benefits". it was also said that we will have 1 company commander and 3 lance commanders, now they say "there is no commander"?
in the end it seems to may come down to what i predicted from the start: 12 people on a map pinging around on the overview, giving themselfes contradicting orders... :ph34r:

i thought those skills like orbital bombardment would be tied to that role of a commander... THE commander, not just ANY pilot who happens to have that module installed.
in the end everyone will have that mighty bombardment module installed, cause they wish to make a defastating blow on the enemy forces and gain lots of xp and credits for that.
this will lead to 2 possibilities:

1) we will see bombardments all over the place, which will be totally defastating to the gameplay (no mechs, that fight their battles, since as soon as one is spotted someone will activate his bombardment and ruin his day... not a MECH game for me anymore then). may not happen, since someone said there will be a global timer on this skill for everyone, but then it depends on how long that timer will be...

2) people will wait for the one single red dot on the radar and when it appears, 12 people try to trigger the bombardment as fast as they can, cause one of them WILL do so, regardless if it is wise from a tactical point of view atm, since there is a global cooldown after the first activation and everyone wants that nice xp and credit bonus. after all no one knows if they are still alive when the cooldown has run out and the bombardment is ready again.
so all this highly praised tactical part of the game is going down the drain.

face it, there will be 12 people on a map, that don`t know each other, most of them will be in for the action and their personal gain of xp and credits. there is no such thing as tactic in a game with 12 random people. if you give all of them the same ability with a global cooldown for all, the first one to activate it wins (xp and credits), the others get nothing, so the above stated action will happen.

i think neither of those 2 possibilities will do the game any good in terms of gameplay (2) or fun (1) :D

as a matter of fact i don`t like the whole concept of arty support or what ever bombardment of areas. i didn`t like it in world of tanks (i wanted to drive around and battle out the fights with my tank and not beeing blown out of the match with a one-shot of some guy sitting at the other side of the map) and the same applies here, this is a mech game and i want to walk around in my battle mech and fight my fights personally. feel the joy of winning against an other mech through manouvering and aiming, getting in his weak spot and tearing him appart. if i loose that fight, ok, so the other one was better than me and i might learn a trick or two, but to loose cause someone clicked on my position on a map and an orbital bombardment rips me appart... definitely no fun.

in the end we will have to see how all fits into place, but atm this whole commander/bombardment thingy is starting to make me worry :lol:

edit: typo

Edited by Khushrenada, 16 February 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#89 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostPetriarch, on 16 February 2012 - 03:44 AM, said:

I dont need a mech lab.

I greatly disagree - who couldn't use a 'Mech with 15 medium lasers? :ph34r:

#90 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 16 February 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Now where did that .gif go... oh, there it is!
Posted Image

#91 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

@Khushrenada

I'm with you in principle. The way I had envisioned it was that if it's 12v12, that's a Company vs. Company. That means 3 lances per side, and 1 designated lance leader per lance, who is, in effect, the "Commander".

But in order to prevent what I think is a misnomer, let's instead call that person "Lance Leader". A lance leader SHOULD make use of the Command Role Tree in order to maximize the abilities that this slot allows (like calling in artillery). That means that on a Company, there are up to 3 Lance Leaders who have this ability, and look to their current Mechs's Commander Role Tree for abilities.

I think a lot of the confusion that's going on is that the names chosen for certain things are very ambiguous, which leads to a lack of comprehension by the community.

#92 Breakout

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

I think part of the confusion is that the person in the "commander" role may not necessarily be in charge. The person leading the company/lance may be in any role in everyone is in agreement. To use other MMO terminology, the "commander" could be a support or "buffer" role. It makes more sense for the "commander" to be in charge, but not necessary.

In Lord of the Rings Online, there is a class called the Captain. The Captain has a lot of buffs to give to their team based on the concept of leadership. However, the actual leader amongst the players is determined by the players. If they want to have their tank or DPS person in charge that's up to them.

I suspect that will be the case here, but acknowledge that I may be way off.

#93 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostPetriarch, on 16 February 2012 - 03:44 AM, said:

I dont need a mech lab.

We can agree to disagree here. It isnt a MW game without a Mechlab.

View PostThe Maestro, on 16 February 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

According to BattleTech canon, any of the 'Mechs available on launch are pretty much impossible to customize anyway.

Well yes and no. Any of the old technical readouts have varients for most of the older mechs. Granted, there werent alot of them, but they did exist. As i said above, it isnt a MW game if you dont have a mechlab.
That being said, I think I'm looking foward to seeing what kind of balance they have struck with the varient/ customization of mechs most of all. Next month most of these questions will be answered I think. Is it March yet?

#94 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostBreakout, on 16 February 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

I think part of the confusion is that the person in the "commander" role may not necessarily be in charge.

Just like the real army :ph34r:

#95 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

View PostPaul Inouye, on 15 February 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Please give us the benefit of the doubt that we do know how to balance a game and that the key focus is 'Mech to 'Mech combat, not dropping bags of poo on each other... though that might actually be funny to put in...

Why would we want to ASSuME you know what your doing..?? I mean come on.. really..? :D

Your doing it for free right..? :lol:

Otherwise one would have to gather they are paying you good money because you know what your doing and they want to get this right.. just like the fans do :ph34r:

#96 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

View PostSilentWolff, on 16 February 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

It isnt a MW game without a Mechlab.

As long as the Mechlab doesn't allow anyone to do anything too crazy, like say, swap out one part for another, then I agree. :ph34r:

#97 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 16 February 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

Just like the real army :ph34r:

Is that how it works up north? The US Army is in fine order...

#98 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

BTW I always seem to miss when they do the Q part ?

OR do they cull the questions from the forum posts..?

#99 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostChuckie, on 16 February 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

BTW I always seem to miss when they do the Q part ?

OR do they cull the questions from the forum posts..?

No you didn't miss them Chuckie, the Dev/Mods just put a filter on the threads that prevent you from seeing them. Now worries though, we know how you think and ask the proper questions in your stead. :ph34r:

#100 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 16 February 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

I tired it once in the TT. It didn't work out so well. If you have enough medium lasers to really leave a mark you don't have enough heat sinks to not constantly overheat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users