Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries - How to download and play.

61 replies to this topic

#1 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

Alright everyone. You want this, you need this. It can be yours - if you really want it. There are some challenges to overcome, but you are worthy. The windows version of MW2 Mercs does not run on XP, you have to use the DOS installation to run it in XP (Hilarious!) So pay attention. Here's the rough guide, Mechwarrior :

Edit: Please see the posts below for help with Windows7 architecture. I can't guarantee that you'll get it working as I don't use this system.

1: Go to [redacted] Register for their forums. Edit: They appear to have funding problems, and the ads on the site are really annoying now. Sorry.

2: Go to the Forums > ISO Cellar - under the M's. Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries, this is what you're here for. Download the .ZIP's, they will decompress to a .IMG file . While those are on it's way, move to the next step.

3: Download and install DosBox - You'll only need this for the installation step. If you're a fan of games this old, you may already be familiar with this program - Good for you! If not, the site has plenty of troubleshooting tips - Abandonia also has the forum thread you've already seen.

4: Once downloaded - Burn the .IMG to a disk as a Disk Image(if you want the awesome in-game soundtrack, you'll need a hard copy) - Ensure that you've burnt a Disk Image, and not just a data copy. The disk should autorun when you put it in the drive - DO NOT INSTALL FROM THE AUTORUN!

5: Load up DosBox. Type the following lines into the command prompt, press enter after each line (If you know DOS and or DosBox, you'll understand whats going on here):
mount c c:\ *Ok, this will give you a warning not to mount your c: - ignore it and continue
mount d f:\ -t cdrom *f:\ in this case is whatever drive the disk or mounted image is in
d:
cd dos
install

6: You are running the install program for the DOS edition. I had issues if installing it anywhere but C:\MERCS, which is the default. Do it. Test your sound settings, fiddle if necessary. In WinXP, my settings auto-detected just fine.

7: Close Dosbox. In windows explorer, in the directory you just installed the game (Which should be C:\MERCS) - find MERCS.EXE. Right click, properties, compatibility tab - set for compatibility in Win 95.

8: With the disk in the drive, double click on MERCS.EXE.

9: You are victorious. Enjoy.

Feel free to use the rest of this thread to troubleshoot, send me a message if you really want. The important points are 1: Do not use the windows installation. 2: You need a hard copy of the disk 3: You have to install through DosBox. Don't blame me, blame the world. Damn you World! Deal with it and move on - You are now playing arguably the best Mechwarrior game yet released.

Q: Why do I have to download it from this stupid site?
A: No torrent I've found has the Dos install, I uploaded the .IMG from my personal disk. As no company lays claim to the title, it's officially Abandonware. That's what the site does, and they host the file.

Edited by Egomane, 02 December 2013 - 07:12 AM.
Abondonware sites are not welcome on the forums

#2 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

I thought Activision still held the game in their grips, and as such it still is not considered abandonware aside from the fact Activision has abandoned it.

#3 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

I think if you own the original game/cd you have the full right to play it. Obviously on its own it wont play in an XP environment. Thanks for the steps to play my favourite MW game!

Edited by xChaoSx, 17 February 2012 - 08:24 AM.

#4 Chilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hello folks... ;)
As I've been readhing these forums, a couple of weeks ago I dug out my old Mech 2 games (I have all three) and installed D-Fend Reloaded on my Win 7 Home 64 bit system. I have Mech 2 installed, and it runs great. The only problem is that I cannot seem to get the joystick to work. I have an old MS Sidewinder Precision Pro that I am trying to use, but the control config interface is a bit confusing. For example, when I go into the config and the throttle to the throttle control on my joystick, then click Accept, it tells me that I have two settings mapped to the throttle control. I have seen that there are four pages in the config settings, and have gone through and made sure that only page one has the settings for the joystick, but still no dice. If anyone has any pointers or tips specific to the config of controls in the Mech 2 game series, I would be very grateful!

#5 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hey, this was a private message that might help you if you have no experience with this type of process.

Dunnardel, on 17 February 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

Ok i downloaded all 7 files from that site, i have no idea what to do with them after that and ive never used dos box and id really love to play this game, i do have dosbox downloaded though. Can you spare some time to walk me through this?

Hope I can help! First - the 7 files you downloaded should be an archive. Other people took over hosting so I'm not sure what they did - What is it? .RAR, .ZIP or a bloody .7Z - The first two can be decompressed with Win-Rar(which should already be part of windows), .7Z's I think need another program, just google ".7z compression". You will end up with a .img file around 730 Mb large. You will need to burn this to a disk, which is a process you'll need to research yourself. Sorry. Do not burn a Data copy of the file, burn it as a Disk Image (very important)

Right. Install DosBox, it's really straightforward and a tiny program. Load up DosBox - it will open 2 windows, one is a command prompt - use this window. As per step 5 above, type each command line as it's shown, and press enter after each line. Of course, don't type the comments, they're just there to explain the commands. The steps are pretty easy after these two hurdles.

I know, it's a real pain in the arse.

#6 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

In regards to the validity of sharing these files -

Activision no longer supports, produces, or sells MW2 Mercs. Every now and then you can find a copy of the win95 version on Amazon, but they're all either 2nd hand, or stock that's been dumped. Either way, the DOS version is for all intents and purposes, extinct in a commercial sense.

People still want to play this game, and do not have a vendor to purchase the game from. I have a legitimate copy and am willing to share this awesome game, for no monetary or equity gain.

Fair is fair. Not selling it? I'm sharing it for free.

If Activision really wants to, they could just ask that the link be taken down. Abandonia, and myself are respectful of the grey area this treads legally, and they would take it down without a fuss. If Activision is really butthurt by this, they can subpoena Abandonia for my email address or contact details and I would fully comply. Since the link has been up for a few years now, I'm guessing that they don't care as long as nobody else is profiting on their hard work.

#7 Opus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

I'm doing something wrong, I have all my original disks....I thought I did everything as you wrote, damn, double damn...

I'll reboot and try again...

Edited by Opus, 17 February 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#8 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostChilly, on 17 February 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

Hello folks... ;)
As I've been readhing these forums, a couple of weeks ago I dug out my old Mech 2 games (I have all three) and installed D-Fend Reloaded on my Win 7 Home 64 bit system. I have Mech 2 installed, and it runs great. The only problem is that I cannot seem to get the joystick to work. I have an old MS Sidewinder Precision Pro that I am trying to use, but the control config interface is a bit confusing. For example, when I go into the config and the throttle to the throttle control on my joystick, then click Accept, it tells me that I have two settings mapped to the throttle control. I have seen that there are four pages in the config settings, and have gone through and made sure that only page one has the settings for the joystick, but still no dice. If anyone has any pointers or tips specific to the config of controls in the Mech 2 game series, I would be very grateful!

1: Can you run the calibration for the joystick? Yes - then make sure it is selected in the device list on the left. No - I can't help ya there, bub. Sorry.

2: Those 4 pages are all custom configurations, see if one is already doing what you want and just select that one. I only had a bog-standard 2 button 2 axis joystick, never one of those fancy things. If possible, try to configure the buttons/axis to your choice - but you're in uncharted territory as far as my experience goes. As far as I know, if the calibration step works you should be able to configure it.

#9 Opus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Artiifice: are you running windows 7 ?

I must really be f'ing it up here, 3rd attempt and I get locked everytime,, I did get the flash screen for a few seconds

EDIT: Nevermind a few beers, and noticing the win 32 files I got it fixed...

Edited by Opus, 17 February 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#10 EGG

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

This smacks of warez. The fact that Activision doesn't sell it anymore doesn't put it into the public domain.

The IP is primarily held by MicroSoft, but Activision have a degree of legacy ownership that I can say I don't fully understand and you haven't bothered to look into at all.

#11 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

At the same time... I do not think Activision or Microsoft are really going to give a crap about some mid 90s game that they are not producing any of, and as such will make no profits off it at all.

Anyone havinhg problems I stand behind MechVM. Not the greatest, i mean MW2 and GBL do not have wireframe, but with a PC running like it does now wireframe is not needed.

#12 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Agreed, CoffiNail. Besides, I'm proud to take full responsibility for this - This was a great game and I'm just glad I still have the disk.

I can't see any reason for any of the companies involved to waste their time trying to stop the sharing of this one, especially as all it would take to do so is an email.

#13 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:16 AM

After heavy discussion with Dunnardel, it appears that this method will not work under Windows 7.

If anyone gets this to work with Win 7, please post here with tips and fixes!

Edited by Artifice, 22 February 2012 - 06:17 AM.

#14 irony1999

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

Only problem with running through dos box is that you don't get all the improvements in v1.1, which are only in the windows version of MW 2 mercs (which doesn't work on my XP or Vista systems)

#15 Wild Cat

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

I'm pretty sure MW2:Mercs can be run on a VirtualBox machine. When ever my Windows 7 x64 environment is causing problems VirtualBox often saves the day.

#16 Mautty the Bobcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

Okay, so I've tried signing up twice and I've yet to receive an e-mail on either of my accounts from that forum...

#17 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

View PostMautty the Bobcat, on 22 February 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

Okay, so I've tried signing up twice and I've yet to receive an e-mail on either of my accounts from that forum...

??

#18 Mautty the Bobcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 22 February 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

??

I've tried to make an account on that forum to download twice, neither email I've signed up with has received anything from the forum to complete the signup. I've used both a yahoo and a gmail account, and I don't have a hotmail so I didn't have to worry about their warning for it.

#19 Choronzon

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

Did anyone get any further with Windows 7? Would love to be able to play this!

#20 Mautty the Bobcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

Would love to but I never got the email after registration so I'm still stuck unable to login.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users