Non Canon Battlemechs- Do they have a place in MW:O?

136 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll Dancers Vote Here: (139 member(s) have cast votes)

Can new mechs be added?

1. No. (77 votes [55.40%])

Percentage of vote: 55.40%

2. Maybe, if mech experts introduce them and there are things like news feeds to support their entry and they make sens in the time frame of BTU that we are playing in. (46 votes [33.09%])

Percentage of vote: 33.09%

3. Yes (10 votes [7.19%])

Percentage of vote: 7.19%

4. I am unsure! (5 votes [3.60%])

Percentage of vote: 3.60%

5. Other - Please explain! (1 votes [0.72%])

Percentage of vote: 0.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Opus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

View PostSporkosophy, on 17 February 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

I don't count a draw as kicking their 'azz', although I do hate the clans so very much.

Yup, A stalemate was a from a point of view major victory of any IS military unit, but in the scheme of prolonged combat and sustained logistics they lost...Badly

only one clan won their battle, Ghost bears if I remember right..

I only like to steal Clan Tech, I really don't consider them heroes or sometimes human...

Edited by Opus, 18 February 2012 - 07:58 AM.

#122 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

well you all loose for keeping this thread alive past page 3.. :P

Though this thread was not a troll, I figured the topic was pretty cut and dry. Yes or no, insert reason. *shrugs* I am less dedicated to serious topics then I am crazy outlandish and wild speculation..

Ok, you can continue debate now n__n

#123 Cur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 335 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

My biggest question is, with the dev' saying melee is probably going to be a No go...

what would the point of mechs with hands be?

I mean as nice as it would be to jump in a Hatchetman, and walk around with that axe.... it would just make you rage knowing that it'd never actualy be swung at the enemy, and its purely for decoration, no?

#124 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostCur, on 18 February 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

My biggest question is, with the dev' saying melee is probably going to be a No go...

I mean as nice as it would be to jump in a Hatchetman, and walk around with that axe.... it would just make you rage knowing that it'd never actualy be swung at the enemy, and its purely for decoration, no?

Actually, as I recall, and correct me if im wrong, but the devs said that melee was in but only on 1 planet (solaris?)

#125 Derick Cruisaire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 247 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

I voted no. At least not at launch. Perhaps further down the timeline, when Mech production gears back up there could be the opportunity for some non-canon Mechs to be introduced. However, they should be left to the Devs to create. If the player base were given the chance to make Mechs from scratch, the universe would soon be inundated with Mech designs.

#126 Six6VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

I voted no as well. There are more than enough mechs to choose from before 3050.

#127 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

View PostRazur, on 18 February 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

Although, I have to say he basically makes the entire point right here. If you can customize your mech.... and ALL players can customize their mechs.... game isn't canon AT ALL.

Not to mention, the reason you can't customize every mech you field in battletech is because it's the one aspect of battletech that IS realistic. If you could place an entirely new gun on half the tanks rolling around the middle east on a whim well..... then it would make sense that any mech, which is just a big walking tank that rolls of an assembly line same as weapons do in the real world, could easily be customized on a whim and completely retrofitted at the drop of a hat.

*shrug*

MW:O will be anything but canon.

uh, the devs havent stated full customization, and in fact the info provided in the last interview supports the idea that we only get variants with limited customization. So, ya know, completely non canon is a huge stretch since you probably wont be able to make a variant that hasnt at some point been created in the vast, expansive Battletech universe.

#128 Outlaw Wolf

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 46 posts
  • LocationStatus: Classified

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

I really don't think that is necessary. After all, the timeline has already technically passed the point where MW:O so we have already seen what mechs could be added later.

#129 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostStone Profit, on 17 February 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

Actually, on tukayyid comstar defeated 5 out of 7 clans as i recall, and they did it through combined arms, god tactics and causing the clans to over extend their supply lines. There was no room for a draw, clanners dont give up in a draw, they fight until theywin or lose, thats the clan way. And id say defeating a better armed foe on relatively equal ground over the course of maybe almost a month and winning 5/2 to be kicking "azz" lol

The Jade Falcon battle is noted as a 'Draw' by virtue of casualties being so extreme on the ComGuard side, so they only won four. Additionally, given that Clan Wolf was able to embarrass four ComStar armies, I'm not sure if you can claim 'god tactics'; intelligent ones to be certain, but most of the Clans used terrible tactics themselves. Additionally. ComStar used Star League era Mechs, so they were closer to the Clans then the rest of the IS military's technologically. The battle as a whole essentially neutered the ComGuard, wiping out nearly half of their forces; had the Clans not adhered to the truce, things would have gone much differently, I'm sure we can agree.

As for the Clans fighting until the end, Steel Viper withdrew after suffering minimal casualties rather then face an arrayed force they could not defeat in the eyes of their leader.

#130 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

I say no. There are already an overwhelming number of BattleMechs in existence, each with it's own history already established through canon lore, why do we need any more? Also, let us not forget that the Succession Wars were an era of technological attrition, not just simple war of control. When the Great Houses started to develop new systems, new designs, new weapons, etc... it was almost a certainty that someone out there was either going to A) Try to steal it or :P Blow it sky high. The most basic thought process at this time was "Don't let them get better toys than we have." This is what resulted in the general lack of development of the IS.

#131 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

View PostSporkosophy, on 18 February 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

The Jade Falcon battle is noted as a 'Draw' by virtue of casualties being so extreme on the ComGuard side, so they only won four. Additionally, given that Clan Wolf was able to embarrass four ComStar armies, I'm not sure if you can claim 'god tactics'; intelligent ones to be certain, but most of the Clans used terrible tactics themselves. Additionally. ComStar used Star League era Mechs, so they were closer to the Clans then the rest of the IS military's technologically. The battle as a whole essentially neutered the ComGuard, wiping out nearly half of their forces; had the Clans not adhered to the truce, things would have gone much differently, I'm sure we can agree.

As for the Clans fighting until the end, Steel Viper withdrew after suffering minimal casualties rather then face an arrayed force they could not defeat in the eyes of their leader.

good tactics, not god lol comon :P

Star League weapons are in no way close to clan. Sure, they have er ppcs, but they do the same damage as a standard ppc. Clan er ppc does half again as much damage. I think that qualifies as much better. Other weapons have similar advantages.

and on the part of steel viper, thats still fighting until they decide they cant win lol. My point still stands. So, the falcons fought and killed many comguardsmen, they still lost. Wolves won, and who else?

Edited by Stone Profit, 18 February 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#132 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostStone Profit, on 18 February 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

good tactics, not god lol comon :P

Star League weapons are in no way close to clan. Sure, they have er ppcs, but they do the same damage as a standard ppc. Clan er ppc does half again as much damage. I think that qualifies as much better. Other weapons have similar advantages.

and on the part of steel viper, thats still fighting until they decide they cant win lol. My point still stands. So, the falcons fought and killed many comguardsmen, they still lost. Wolves won, and who else?

Ghost Bears scraped a marginal victory. I would call it a draw though. Falcons draw purely on virtue on how many Comguards they "fragged"

#133 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostOmigir, on 17 February 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

I am not going to like.. I did not expect this to make it 6 pages. : \

I loled that you're surprised by any measure. This is a hairy topic many people would just love to argue about. :P

#134 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:00 AM

Hands are on mechs for alot of very good reasons. They enable you to pick things up (supplies, obstructions, etc) they enable your mech to prevent falls by putting the hand out to brace so as to avoid the mechs head smashing into the ground (just like a normal person)
They enable a mech to get up of the ground once it has fallen.
They enable a mech to more readily assist another mech, to carry out field engineering/repairs...
They enable a mech to rescue pilots from the wreckage of other mechs, or to clear rubble off friendly mechs.

Alot of mechpilots prefer mechs with hands in the canon for the utility of them.

Customisation via changing weapons is non canon yes, and wont be in Mech Warrior Online, as you can see from this mech xp tree example:
Posted Image
We all know that mech variants are the same mech with different weapon combinations and suchforth- so those unlockable variants would be pointless if you could swap weapons at will.

People assume that swapping weapons is the only way to customise, but the devs have already stated that they will be including module slots on the mechs to put role based customisation modules in. So the Canon should be more intact in MW:O than in any previous MW game.

#135 Sym

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:51 AM

I have to say No for now. As many have said, there are plenty of canon mechs to use. However, the other side makes a good argument.

Let's just use what everyone knows and loves and get this game off the ground and running before we start added more to it. If it does the distance than why not. until then, no.

#136 yngvef

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationThe planet Bardu

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:01 AM

Start with Canon mechs, then give us the Nikon and Olympus mechs... (sorry. bad joke)

Seriously though: I don't care if the mechs are canon or not, as long as they are cool. I like the idea of computer games adding to existing IPs, like we've seen in Star Wars-games and Warhammer 40k (Blood Ravens etc.)... even if everyone doesn't like the additions.

Also, i figure a lot of the future MWO-gamers don't know the "story" of Battletech (and don't care). They just want to drive huge robots blowing stuff up.

Just my opinion. :P

#137 yngvef

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationThe planet Bardu

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

View PostRazur, on 18 February 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

Not to mention, the reason you can't customize every mech you field in battletech is because it's the one aspect of battletech that IS realistic. If you could place an entirely new gun on half the tanks rolling around the middle east on a whim well..... then it would make sense that any mech, which is just a big walking tank that rolls of an assembly line same as weapons do in the real world, could easily be customized on a whim and completely retrofitted at the drop of a hat.

Actually, field modifications of military equipment is quite common. Sure, you can't change turret on a tank in the field, but mounting a different machine gun, improvised armor skirts, special optics or non-standard ammunition is quite possible. Also, you'd think that a thousand years of development would improve modularity and interchangability of military equipment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users