Non Canon Battlemechs- Do they have a place in MW:O?

136 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll Dancers Vote Here: (139 member(s) have cast votes)

Can new mechs be added?

1. No. (77 votes [55.40%])

Percentage of vote: 55.40%

2. Maybe, if mech experts introduce them and there are things like news feeds to support their entry and they make sens in the time frame of BTU that we are playing in. (46 votes [33.09%])

Percentage of vote: 33.09%

3. Yes (10 votes [7.19%])

Percentage of vote: 7.19%

4. I am unsure! (5 votes [3.60%])

Percentage of vote: 3.60%

5. Other - Please explain! (1 votes [0.72%])

Percentage of vote: 0.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostTechnoviking, on 17 February 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

it was like a clown-car Raven

Hahaha that's awesome. Now I'll carry around THAT image.

View PostVexgrave Lars, on 17 February 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

An original Mech "concept" thats not so hard, define the style? How would you like it? I have Blender ;) Can I say that we have gone through all the shapes that there are in the geometry box? Probably not. Would it be cool? Maybe.

Ask an artist for a "Concept" and you can get all kinds if weirdness.

The point is.. the only LAW is the rules, which should not apply to DESIGNS (How it looks, whats it named! to clarify ).

The rules define what and how much you can strap to a chassis... What that chassis looks like and its NAME are really kinda well... up to the artist.

Who cares is we name a mech a "VISHNU VSN-H7U" and its got giant flares and foils on it with wing planes on the arms. IF its 80 tons and fits the gear, Moves at X rate and has X armor. Long as the math works.. let the designers have a little fun.. that so hard.

We seem to be on different wavelengths. When I say concept, I mean speed, weapons loadout, heat management, range fighting. Who cares about looks? We have a great artist who is 'fixing up' all the old mechs so they look cooler. Is how they LOOK really what you're complaining about?!

So let me get this straight, you want the design equivalent of a Dervish that looks like a 747 ran into a boat and then put that on legs and you'll be happy? Just as long as it doesn't look like a Dervish?

Posted Image

#42 Kael Tropheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

No, player made mechs are rarely balanced properly and tend to be over optimized.

New cannon mechs can be added all the time. Just because the next TRO after 3050 is 3055, doesnt mean everyone sat on their butts for 5 years. Its more of a compilation of mechs over the 5 years since the last one. Many of the IS mechs in this period are flat out panic reactions to the clan's appearance which is why 3058 is right around the corner with more refined mechs. I think it would be neat if mech chassis were added according to their actual field dates and spread out over time.

#43 Graefin Zeppelin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationHunting pirates at Sisyphus's Lament

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hmmm a Dervish LAM, interesting. I would give it a try.

#44 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

If were talking new "Designs" I'm talking the physically view-able characteristics (height, dimension, geometry, color, names), would i be happy with the Dervish + 747, dunno... its not for me by description, but who knows what an artist can come up with. The "canon" mechs aren't always what I would call "beauty pageant winners"

If were talking "Specifications" I would agree that a great diversity already exist but is far from 100% comprehensive. (Discussing weight, class, arms and armor, speed etc). Is there much room to grow probably, not a whole lot, but some.

And while LOOKS may not be important to everyone.. making a comparative of a dervish + 747 means that your final statement about not caring seems a bit well hypocritical.

So far I am thrilled with the art concepts I'm seeing.. but a hunchback is a hunchback.. lacking surprise.

A NEW mech would have to meet the criteria of being new completely. Since weapons remain the same pretty much, and the roles of battlefield components are limited we can only change the specs so far.

All I'm suggesting is give the devs rooms, in your mind, to conceive and present. Really 1/2 the fun of the game is designing and testing new mech "specifications", why not allow new "designs" as well.

Edited by Vexgrave Lars, 17 February 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#45 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

View PostStone Profit, on 17 February 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its screwed up. Since they created it, they get to do what they want. I for one loved the WOB Jihad and Dark Age, while not the best, wasnt all that bad. More people need to appreciate the hard work the people involved with BT have put into it, and stop wishing things were the way you want it. Grow up and realize you arent the most important person in BT\MW

I really don't know where the heck your coming from Stone.... but I really think you better read my posts: I am saying we, not I

and I am talking about 12 years of Law Suits, and such, that left us with empty promises and just Books, and TT.,., even the manuals stopped for several years, there and many had to be re-written

I too liked JIhad, and Dark Ages, it was a hard pill to swallow.,., but historically, many mechs still remain unseen aka clans, Comstar, and god knows where else people have hidden stuff. Back when I started TT play i amazed me how creative the universe, and Fasa was and I hope they still are.

imho, its mindless to cut off everything as canon, and nothing every is going to be new. We have a chance to influence a whole new generation of Mech warriors...why be so conservative

argh EDIT: My fingers need caffeine

Edited by Opus, 17 February 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#46 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostOpus, on 17 February 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

I really don't know where the heck your coming from Stone.... but I really think you better read my post I am saying we, not I

I too liked JIhad, and Dark Ages, it was a hard pill to swallow.,., but historically, many mechs still remain unseen aka clans, Comstar, and god knows where else people have hidden stuff. Back when I started TT play i amazed me how creative the universe, and Fasa was and I hope they still are.

imho, its mindless to cut off everything as canon, and nothing every is going to be new. We have a chance to influence a whole new generation of Mech warriors...why be so conservative

Perhaps you dont remember speaking for everyone. Since you dont know (and cant know) what everyone thinks, you are just stating your opinion. If you dont know where im coming from, perhaps you should read my post again since it contains all the points and opinions i desired to make.

Edited by Stone Profit, 17 February 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#47 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Personally.. If I was strapping together a mech.. I'd strap an Apache Helo front end to an M1 Tank Chassis and Turret Add legs and Arms.

Call it a Marauder ;) A MRLS Rocket launchers and call that a MadCAT. ROFLMAO!

#48 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostStone Profit, on 17 February 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

Perhaps you dont remember speaking for everyone. Since you dont know (and cant know) what everyone thinks, you are just stating your opinion. If you dont know where im coming from, perhaps you should read my post again since it contains all the points and opinions i desired to make,and didnt hide behind things like "what everyone thinks is", unlike yourself. Quit trolling the MWO forums and go back to myspace dude.

Wow...

#49 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostOpus, on 17 February 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

hey, its 3049 right, Mech technology is about to take a huge hit, in the next 18months on the ramp up of Clan technology being introduced.

there is NO reason Canon mech technology is in stone;

Fasa, MS, and Harmony Gold have screwed this world up for us the last 10 years; I feel WE as fans can influence technology and help create a new vibrant life into the Mechwarrior/Battletech world...

the part where you state "screwed this world up for us" thats called speaking for everyone. Do you not know what point youre making? Comon dude, words have meanings,if thats not what you meant, learn to choose youre words better.

#50 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

would make the devs ability to balance near impossible.

#51 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostOpus, on 17 February 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

Wow...

easily surprised, huh? Not all that shocking, considering your ill-formed statements

#52 Epic Weasel

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 26 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

This is getting heated. I'd say the poll is headed for a landslide "No"

But I say "Yes." Theres great art coming out of PGI, and I want to see what they can invent on their own. And if I spent years pushing a project like this through the tubes, and was the one to pick up the ball after years of stagnation, I'd make my own mech.

If PGI wants to throw in a 3-legged 101-ton super Urbie, I'd say they've earned that right.... and I'd want to see it ;)

#53 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Unequivocal NO. There are plenty of canonical 'mechs that never get their due, I would MUCH rather see those than have a bunch of new stuff added in ;)

#54 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Lets keep friendly here ;). Save your nerd-rage for the battlefield. ^_^

I think giving the lenience to allow development to take place is overwhelmingly more valuable that adhering to the past. I respect the more conservative players right to be concerned that the devs can easily overstep the specifications bounds. However as long as they stick to the engineering method of weight being the basis of the build out, there should be little argument over new gear after the first year.
Thanks o7

#55 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

The reason why I am supporting older mech designs to appear in MWO rather than brand new designs is because some of these older designs never got a chance to shine at all in any Mechwarrior game.

Secondly coupled with the fact that there are plenty of variants, some mechs can play totally different, like the dual PPC Catapult which functions like a cheaper Warhammer, but still different enough. Thus there is sufficient variety.

Anyhow a few more years down the road and I probably have to quit gaming and spend full time with my kids, just humor me and some of the old dogs once to see some classic 3025 designs get a rebirth ;P

P.S. I am still waiting for that Phoenix Hawk and Imp !

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 17 February 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#56 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

View Post[EDMW]CSN, on 17 February 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

Stick with Canon mechs first.
In fact the only 100 ton IS mechs that made it into the game are mostly the IS Atlas and Annihilators.

If taking 2750 SL designs and 3050 Invasion Era. We got Atlas (slugger D variant or sniper K variant), Annihilator (AC-10 boat), Imp (energy boat), Marauder II (Jump capable 100 tonner), King Crab (dual AC-20 boat) and the Atlas II (all round fighter). Out of the 6, we got only 2 readily shown in the IS line up.

This gotta change no ? And this is just the 100 tonner designs !

Your more likely to see the likes of the Devestator, Albatross, Grand Titan before you see an Atlas II.

It disappeared with the SLDF exodus (for all intents and purposes) and doesn't really appear again until the whole post jihad bumf as devlin stones ride.

Lets just get more of the current expected timeline mechs in before we start asking for anything outside what IS available readily to the IS (or comstar for that matter)

#57 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostVexgrave Lars, on 17 February 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Lets keep friendly here ;). Save your nerd-rage for the battlefield. ^_^

I think giving the lenience to allow development to take place is overwhelmingly more valuable that adhering to the past. I respect the more conservative players right to be concerned that the devs can easily overstep the specifications bounds. However as long as they stick to the engineering method of weight being the basis of the build out, there should be little argument over new gear after the first year.
Thanks o7

I dont understand why people want to add new stuff to a well established universe which has tons of unused elements that are pretty freaking awesome. Everyone want something else. If you want something else, why are you playing BT?while im all for innovation, there is no need for innovating the technology more than it already is in BT. And for those who saytheres no reason for techto be stagnate,how about 300 yrs of most places that could create the existing technologies getting bombed to the stone age and a mad scramble just to stay at the current tech level?

#58 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Stone ;)

The problem is that the Universe we will operate in is not the static universe in the books. Canon gets an A/C round to the head after that day. After launch the games borders will change as groups win and lose battles, worlds will change hands that never did before. The pervasive universe that has existed in literature will not be the same as it always was after the launch date of this iteration of the MW game. Why should there be an expectation that technology won't be as diverse in time?

Again.. not at launch... after 3050 sure.

In your TT group... did you always lose the battles you were supposed to? Probably not. Did your opposing force make believe you didn't win.. Like you would let them (LOL, "griefing" is half the battle even at the table).

Again.. Specs and Designs differ... Not trying to sway you, I agree their needs to be conservation, I just dont agree that saving every mech in the canon, makes sense, if the canon is gone after day one, and that as the game develops so should the gear.

Note: Some of that unused "stuff" is unused because players found it to be well.. useless, I know I found several things I never used among, mechs, armor, infanrty, helos, aero... playstyle or it just plain sucked. Thats why ^_^

Edited by Vexgrave Lars, 17 February 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#59 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

I put maybe in the future i did like some of the Mektek & NBT mod mechs.I think the reason this comes up is you get tired of seeing the same old mechs day in and day out for X amount of years.That makes the newer added mechs seam brand new.I would like to see the exterior battle view of the mechs change as the weapons and component's are added or subtracted from the chassis.Of course this would be a harder thing to render per mech chassis but yet again it would let you see what your mech or your opponents mech looks like with that certain weapons and component load out which would break up the boredom factor of seeing the same mechs day in and day out. ;)

#60 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

The only issue that some of these "same old mechs" never appeared anywhere in many MW games. Or appeared once and disappeared forever. When was the last time someone rode a Champion, a Cataphract, Caesar, Grasshopper or the Guillotine ?

They certainly don't look ugly (well the Champion is a little wonky looking) and don't suffer the same unseen drama. Why not give them a shot ? These are all 3025 to 3050 era heavies fyi all ~

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 17 February 2012 - 12:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users