ISN News Flash

41 replies to this topic

#21 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

You may be mixing Capellan with Draconis recipes...

While both are ancient, wonderful, rich cultures. The Draconis Combine's culture is largely based on Terran Japanese, while the Capellan Culture is Chinese with some Russian influences

The book you must be reading is called the Dictum Capella Furta Proditor I believe.

#22 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

You are correct VB!!! My bad!!!! It's so hard to get good Chinese in my part of Steiner space....

Let me open the correct book...

Yakitori is grilled chicken speared on sticks. All different parts of the chicken, thighs, skin, liver, etc. can be used for yakitori. The following recipe shows one of the most popular kind which is prepared with chicken thighs and leek.

Ingredients:
  • Chicken thighs: without bone and skin
  • Kurita leek (negi*), leek, or green onion
  • Soya sauce
  • Mirin* or sake*
  • Sugar
  • Honey or maple syrup
  • Small wooden spears
*This ingredient may not be available in Western Inner Sphere supermarkets, but you should be able to find it in Kurita grocery stores that exist in most of the Draconis Combine

#23 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 21 February 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

I thought imitation was the most sincere form of flattery, and writing a parody of someone's work just brings more attention to their work.

Kurita should be thankful that the Commonwealth Press are keeping the Dictum Honourium culturally-relevant and popular.

The Commonwealth Press is a lowest common denominator based Entertainment Agency masquerading as a news agency. They have no respect for cultural diversity, and perhaps their headquarters should be burnt down.

#24 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 21 February 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

You are correct VB!!! My bad!!!! It's so hard to get good Chinese in my part of Steiner space....

Let me open the correct book...

Well I have no good knowledge of Chinese cooking, but perhaps the next time we invade your planet, I shall give you an example of some good old homestyle Draconis Cooking as a replacement for whatever we blowup. I am trained in sushi preparation, and members of my lance also are good cooks (except for Gordo, who just eats a lot).

...which planet were you on again?

#25 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

View Postverybad, on 21 February 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

The Commonwealth Press is a lowest common denominator based Entertainment Agency masquerading as a news agency. They have no respect for cultural diversity, and perhaps their headquarters should be burnt down.

Are you going to wage a Seisen against them for satirizing your sacred icon?

Edited by Prosperity Park, 21 February 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#26 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

The Commonwealth Press clearly is not as "Balanced and Fair" as they claim. They are obviously more interested in garnering hits from outland yokels than in encouraging actual learning about different cultures.

I do not enjoy killing Commonwealth citizens, they are human as well as I, however their hatefulness against the peaceful, perfect society that the House Kurita has formed in the Draconis Combine leaves us no choice but to defend ourselves by destroying their ability to fight, preferably on their own planets.

I kill because I am a warrior, and it is my duty to defend the one true successor to the Star League's golden age. If some must suffer for the greater good, that is unfortunate, but unavoidable.

It is not up to me to determine where my lord next sends me to fight, however if it is at the headquarters of such an evil agency as the Commonwealth Press, then I shall be most pleased.

Edited by verybad, 21 February 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#27 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

At least some of your Peaceful, Perfect warriors had enough humility to commit seppuku after their Peaceful, Perfect actions... however absolutely none of your Billions had the courage to punish Jinjuro Kurita for his acts of Peaceful Perfection.

Don't talk to me about how you wish to do away with "evil entities."

Edited by Prosperity Park, 21 February 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#28 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 21 February 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

At least some of your Peaceful, Perfect warriors had enough humility to commit seppuku after their Peaceful, Perfect actions... however absolutely none of your Billions had the courage to punish Jinjuro Kurita for his acts of Peaceful Perfection.

Don't talk to me about how you wish to do away with "evil entities."

Odd how a mechwarrior that fights for money, and wil kill for no other reason but the C-bill finds time to deride a warrior who fights for a purpose and a cause, over the actions commited over a century ago.

Edited by verybad, 21 February 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#29 pursang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

C-c-c-COMBO BREAKER!

You guys are too funny. Everyone knows that seared lone wolf breast is the best.

#30 Rico Kelly

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBerenson, Free Worlds League

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:26 AM

I assume due to the grave covenant of the Federated Commonwealth that the Lyrans are as implicit in this racist slur against our customers, er I mean comrades in the Draconis Combine as the Davions are. In the spirit of the Concord of Kapteyn I shall be writing forthwith to my MP (the right-honourable Judith Strangehand of Zion Province) to complain most strongly.

#31 GDL Rahsan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

Well anyone claiming that his House is peaceful and perfect is lieing you know =p

#32 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

View Postverybad, on 21 February 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

The Commonwealth Press clearly is not as "Balanced and Fair" as they claim. They are obviously more interested in garnering hits from outland yokels than in encouraging actual learning about different cultures.

I do not enjoy killing Commonwealth citizens, they are human as well as I, however their hatefulness against the peaceful, perfect society that the House Kurita has formed in the Draconis Combine leaves us no choice but to defend ourselves by destroying their ability to fight, preferably on their own planets.

I kill because I am a warrior, and it is my duty to defend the one true successor to the Star League's golden age. If some must suffer for the greater good, that is unfortunate, but unavoidable.

It is not up to me to determine where my lord next sends me to fight, however if it is at the headquarters of such an evil agency as the Commonwealth Press, then I shall be most pleased.

:P

I look forward to carving the eagle upon your back.

#33 revanus

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

You know what's great about being Lyran?

Freedom of Speech.

House Kurita, we will gladly accept your formal protest. It will make for an excellent introduction when we publish Volume 2.

P.S. As a token of our appreciation, please accept this coupon for one (1) free copy of the "Dicktat Honor's Rare--ee--um."

While we know the Combine works very hard to supress dissent, in the Lyran Commonwealth it is a well-known truth that "Controversy sells." And everyone now wants to read "the book the Draconis Combine would have banned!!!"

In fact, since the announcement, sales have been up 33%, and we haven't even started our new marketing campaign.

#34 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 21 February 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

I'm sure there's a code somewhere in there that says you can't laugh on the battlefield...

...or, as least, if you do, you have to be moving your lips both before and long after you make the laughing sound.

http://mwomercs.com/...do-in-the-dcms/

Some excerpts:

Citizens of the Draconis Combine who pilot the Coordinator's 'mechs may not march them. Such an act will bring dishonor to their family. Citizens of the Draconis Combine who pilot the Coordinator's 'mechs may not laugh in, within 500 meters of, about, or otherwise remark of their assigned 'mechs. Such an act is punishable by death.
Citizens of the Draconis Combine who pilot the Coordinator's 'mechs may not read this. Such an act is punishable by death.

#35 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

View PostRico Kelly, on 22 February 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

I assume due to the grave covenant of the Federated Commonwealth that the Lyrans are as implicit in this racist slur against our customers, er I mean comrades in the Draconis Combine as the Davions are. In the spirit of the Concord of Kapteyn I shall be writing forthwith to my MP (the right-honourable Judith Strangehand of Zion Province) to complain most strongly.

For the record, the Commonwealth Press is, in fact, a Lyran company.

The FedSuns equivalent is the Federated News Services (also called, albeit informally, the Federated Suns News - hence being known both as FNS (official) and FSN (informal)).

Any complaints would be better served by directing them to the proper parties. ;)

That being said:
1.) A number of the Combine's own MechWarriors have already satirized the Dictum Honorium. Is the Lyrans' version particularly degrading? If so, how so?
2.) As stated by the Lyran representative, perhaps the people of the Combine ("Dragons"? "Draconians"? "Combiners"? What is their demonym? :o) could look at it as a boon - the hoopla surrounding the situation draws attention - and interest - to the Dictum that it likely would not otherwise receive.

#36 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostDihm, on 22 February 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

;)

I look forward to carving the eagle upon your back.

You wave the Ratsalhague Flag, then mention working for the Free Wold's League (our allies)...You must be confused.

View PostStrum Wealh, on 22 February 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

That being said:
1.) A number of the Combine's own MechWarriors have already satirized the Dictum Honorium. Is the Lyrans' version particularly degrading? If so, how so?.

The differenceis, any Draconis Combine warriors doing so are merely being lighthearted (if I find any warriors under my command doign so, they'll be cleaning out dropship sewage tanks for the whole trip to the next target btw."

Commonwelath Press supporting that kind of thing is propaganda aimed at making Draconis Combine citizens, high and low, look like unthinking fools.

Sure we have a code of conduct, sure it's not necessarilly easy reading, but it's an attempt at making ourselves better, at rising to a new level...EVERY day.

Commonwealth demeans our culture, and in so doing, truly demeans their own.

Edited by verybad, 22 February 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#37 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

View Postverybad, on 22 February 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

You wave the Ratsalhague Flag, then mention working for the Free Wold's League (our allies)...You must be confused.

It is you sir, who are confused.

The blood eagle has nothing to do with the FWL. ;)

#38 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

So far as I know, Rasalhague warriors do not use that primitive 'custom', it's not been described as in use anywhere so far as I know. If you are some sort of psychopath that finds death and defiling the dead to be amusing, then I'll take comfort in removing you from the realms of the living.

The Eagle however is the symbol of the Free Worlds League.

As I have mentioned previously. I kill because it is my duty. Those that take pleasure in it are sick.

However, I am rather confused I admit why you support the Commonwealth press. Were it not for our grandiose gift to your people after the 4th succession war, you'd be just another March in the Steiner-Davion's sprawling empire.

Edited by verybad, 22 February 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#39 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

And of course it had nothing to do with the fact that the Tyr movement bled you dry. Or to pressure the Lyrans into giving up worlds they gained during the 4th Succesion War and to give yourself a buffer state so you don't have to deal with them and can focus on the Davion front. Or the fancy mechs and tech you fanagled out of ComStar. Was definitely some moral ephiphany that only took what, seven centuries or so, to come to. ;)

Let's not forget that you failed to return 20 worlds which are now part of the Alshain military district, which we will be coming to liberate from your tyranny and oppression. :o

#40 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

Of course it had to do with that. However it still remains that You would now be an FC March rather than your own state had our leaders not made that move, which considering the situation at the time was, and I think you will agree, making the best out of the worst.

As for "returning" those worlds. They are by majority, descendant from families that have been Draconis Combine for many centuries. Long before we took over the Rasalhague Republic in the first place...in order to PROTECT you from becoming money grubbing Lyrans, who'd have absorbed you otherwise.

So for just a few minutes, stop waving your flag, and pretending to be modern Vikings, and look at the truth. Of course we did not want to give up the worlds of the RR, however we have, and it has made us stronger without tending to your terrorist actions. I say good riddance. The Lyrans don't wish you any more well than we do 'viking', but at least we'll come out and say it, rather than trying to undercut your economy, lying to their people about your culture, and pretending to be your friend.

As for buffer state, the FC has got the biggest border of any state out there by far. Sure they've got a lot of mechs, but they didn't seem to be able to beat us in '39 now did they? Alone against them, yeah we'd have problems, however they've got 2 Great Houses other than the Draconis Combine to be concerned about.

So 'viking', go buy some more Lyran ale for your Lyran horns. So long as you buy their products, I'm sure they'll protect you.

依存

Edited by verybad, 22 February 2012 - 12:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users