• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 606 posts
  • LocationAnother Galaxy

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:25 AM

View PostPht, on 31 May 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

38,000+ views.

INSANE.

It would be more if the moderators did not scaer off the other people.

#142 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:30 AM

... 40,000 views ...

That's a pretty big snowball...

#143 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostFelix Dante, on 23 February 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

I actually learned something new! Posted Image
i know isent it great

View PostPht, on 26 February 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

I knew I felt a disturbance in the force for some reason... Posted Image

Thanks man. If you want the original sources, go pick up TechManual, it's riddled with these sorts of technical bits and such; and the older source, Classic BattleTech Companion.

And please, stop by the http://bg.battletech.com/forums/ and drop "cray" a thank you. He wrote the stuff. I just retyped it so everyone else could get the goodness!

Apparently most clan mechs don't have one.

That said, hey, why wouldn't you want one? ... you do realize that you can refuel your fusion engine with pee, right? Posted Image No, seriously, you can. It will separate out the hydrogen to use in the engine.
but you will need to poop some time can the engine use that i think not

View PostWhisky, on 16 March 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

Oh man, I am dangerously interested in this. Terrible. I barely know how cars work and now I can explain in disturbing detail how a fictional war machine operates? It's bad enough I have a better idea of Inner Sphere politics then anything happening in America. Losing my grasp on reality over here.
so im not the only geek who keeps his in lore politics straight

View PostVictor Morson, on 09 April 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

Somebody should have done a system for this in the Periphery books. Not as built-that-way 'mechs or anything, but as "alternate repair rules." If a 'mech loses it's gyros/legs and can't walk anymore, include rules for a field refit using tracked or wheeled vehicles.

Mostly because the hilarious image of a 'mech torso riding around strapped to the back of a semi-truck just seems so, so bandit kingdom.
bandit kingdom???????/

View PostAsfaloth, on 28 May 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Good job compiling all that, now we just need someone to do the same for the backstory fluff. I've got a few friends that are finally coming around to Battletech and are having trouble keeping atop the story.
as the new guy learning his lore even just a quick back view of all the factions even just the major ones

View PostSilent Hunter, on 08 September 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

So Mechs are actually closer to becoming reality...

http://www.richardda...s-their-weight#
well form what i under stand the only reason the us is not makeing mechs to fight is battery tech i guess they review the idea of makeing mechs to fight every year or two and every time they do they say impractical do to the limits of battery technology

View PostNova Latios Storm, on 09 September 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

What about zoids? They have AI and can move with out a pilot but still has a cockpit and can be controlled with a polit. The AI helps with combat like the zoid is a "living" mech.
Posted Image
yes i love zoids nice to see some one else who likes um but like the man said not here thats what offtopic it for

View PostHeavenly Angel, on 12 October 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

ENGAGING HOSTILE ATLAS IN SECTOR G8. NEED FIRE SUPPORT. I AM OUT OF TOILET PAPER. REPEAT, I AM OUT OF TOILET PAPER.
yah i can kinda see that lol

View PostTyrnea Smurf, on 23 January 2014 - 07:33 PM, said:

Well a toilet in the cockpit of IS makes sense considering the manic brutality of the Succession Wars. Although I suspect they would use a thermal oven system to "cook" the waste desiccating it and removing the issue of getting "pooed" if your mech fails a piloting check in the heat of battle.

Although the idea of fairly full service foodstorage, from refrideration, cooking, cleaning, storage ect gives me a wild vision of Mechwarriors "pimping" their rides with NFL Tailgaters style BBQ's, with beer kegs on tap....
you to huh makes me wounder if any mechs have a getto blaster

View PostPht, on 04 March 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see a battlemech built with a potty integrated into the command chair ... now that would give a whole new dimension of meaning to the phrase "ruling from my throne!" LOL!

yes it would but i would not want to pilot that i mean eww

#144 Hrungnir

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMalmö, Sweden

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:52 PM

O.m.g.

I can't tell you how grateful I am to FINALLY get canon information of how punching, grabbing and kick movements are actually carried out by the pilot. It was always a headache of mine to figure out how such piloting feats were done based on the cockpit pictures I've seen.

Thank you!

#145 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:51 AM

View PostHrungnir, on 18 September 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

O.m.g.

I can't tell you how grateful I am to FINALLY get canon information of how punching, grabbing and kick movements are actually carried out by the pilot. It was always a headache of mine to figure out how such piloting feats were done based on the cockpit pictures I've seen.

Thank you!

You're welcome, althought it's really the author of the original article you should be thanking. :)

#146 KHAN ATTAKHAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 446 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:47 AM

I was tthrowing out the trash today and came across my old titanium edition MW2 book with all the clan loudouts, going to try them out and see how MWO specced mechs compare to the original MW2 mechs, so warhawk will be first, should be interesting.

#147 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

And how are those comparisons going?

#148 Stijnovic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

View PostPht, on 22 February 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

When a 'Mech loses its balance, the gyro mechanism will stop one of the (very) fast-spinning wheels and impart a reaction in the direction the wheel was spinning, or it will speed up a ring and as a reaction will impart a shove in the opposite direction of the push on the wheel in order to keep the 'Mech on it's feet and upright.

That's not how gyroscopes work. You keep them spinning at a constant rate and when you try to rotate them out of disc plane, not around the axis (aka your mech is falling over), they provide a resisting force - automatically, no computer needed.

Alternatively, you can mount the spinning disc in a rotating chamber. By rotating the chamber, you can generate a torque on your mech. This can help rotating your torso or standing up after falling down.

Edited by Stijnovic, 28 October 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#149 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostStijnovic, on 28 October 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

That's not how gyroscopes work. You keep them spinning at a constant rate and when you try to rotate them out of disc plane, not around the axis (aka your mech is falling over), they provide a resisting force - automatically, no computer needed.

Mechs do not use the gyroscopic force like that. In fact, they specifically are set up (as the article says) in ways to limit the gyroscopic inhibition on movement. If they allowed such it would impede their mobility; a big-time no-no on the battlefield.

Thus 'mech gyro setups do exactly what the OP says while otherwise minimizing their generic effects.

#150 Stijnovic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostPht, on 30 October 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

Thus 'mech gyro setups do exactly what the OP says while otherwise minimizing their generic effects.

Really? It seems kind a strange to me. It wouldn't hinder linear movement, only rotation. And even unwanted rotation can be dampened by having (like the article says) several wheels.

Also in that case, I think the more correct term would be "reaction wheel" in stead of "gyro(scope)". (had to look that up though, and learned something in the process ^_^)

Ah well.. no argueing with battelech logic I guess. ;)

#151 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostStijnovic, on 30 October 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

Really? It seems kind a strange to me. It wouldn't hinder linear movement, only rotation. And even unwanted rotation can be dampened by having (like the article says) several wheels.

Also in that case, I think the more correct term would be "reaction wheel" in stead of "gyro(scope)". (had to look that up though, and learned something in the process ^_^)

Ah well.. no argueing with battelech logic I guess. ;)

Mech's don't just move left/right/back/forwards/up/down.

They also duck, twist, sidestep, bend at the waist, bob and weave, etc...

Btw; from the OP:

"4.2 Force-Generating
Located in the torso is a multi-ton assembly containing reaction wheels. Reaction wheels are spinning rings. This is the Gyroscope proper.

Gyroscope configurations vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Most gyros have at least three reaction wheels set at 90' degrees to each other. Some gyroscopes mount the reaction rings in a free-spinning sphere in order to avoid the reaction wheels inhibiting a BattleMech's movement with unwanted gyroscopic effects."

#152 Stijnovic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:28 AM

View PostPht, on 31 October 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

...Located in the torso is a multi-ton assembly containing reaction wheels. Reaction wheels are spinning rings. This is the Gyroscope proper...

Okay, my bad. Still it seems kind of inefficient to use reaction wheels in stead of a gyroscope. Even with the unwanted gyroscopic effects when rotating, as there are countermeasures for this.

from wikipedia:

"CMGs (Control Movement Gyroscopes) differ from reaction wheels. The latter applies torque simply by changing rotor spin speed, but the former tilts the rotor's spin axis without necessarily changing its spin speed. CMGs are also far more power efficient. For a few hundred watts and about 100 kg of mass, large CMGs have produced thousands of newton meters of torque. A reaction wheel of similar capability would require megawatts of power."

#153 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:55 PM

Eh ... to repeat myself from elsewhere:

It's the in-fictional-lore explanation of the way things work. The lore wasn't built to be "reality." It's a fairly "realistic" space opera giant-robots blasting giant-robots escapsim lore/game, with heavy overtones of knightly code, dirty politics, all the crummy stuff the "intelligence" agencies do, the socially "other" (clans), largely based off of the fall of rome and the subseqent loss of much of the benefits of that society. Toss in some toaster worshiping freaks for spice.

#154 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostPht, on 01 November 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Eh ... to repeat myself from elsewhere:

It's the in-fictional-lore explanation of the way things work. The lore wasn't built to be "reality." It's a fairly "realistic" space opera giant-robots blasting giant-robots escapsim lore/game, with heavy overtones of knightly code, dirty politics, all the crummy stuff the "intelligence" agencies do, the socially "other" (clans), largely based off of the fall of rome and the subseqent loss of much of the benefits of that society. Toss in some toaster worshiping freaks for spice.

pretty much though i dont think of it as a space opera my self

#155 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:08 AM

True, not enough singing...

#156 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

View PostSnagaDance, on 03 November 2014 - 03:08 AM, said:

True, not enough singing...

you mean like this

and this

or this

ok now that my joke is done i do have a question is there any lore reason why the class of jump jet is locked by waight class for example why cant i put class 1 jjs on my catapult to give it some extra oomph

#157 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:31 PM

View Postkosmos1214, on 08 November 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

ok now that my joke is done i do have a question is there any lore reason why the class of jump jet is locked by waight class for example why cant i put class 1 jjs on my catapult to give it some extra oomph

Jumpjet "class" ...? This I have not run across. Where have you seen "class" assigned to jjs?

#158 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostPht, on 10 November 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

Jumpjet "class" ...? This I have not run across. Where have you seen "class" assigned to jjs?

I am not sure what he/she means either

There is the class (IE Victors get Class II jj, Highlanders get Class I)
But the way he/she phrases it I think they mean number of JJ (IE: CPLT-K2 cannot mount any - where as CPLT-J can mount 2)

In which case - to my understanding the lore explanation is that they are limited by the power-output of the engine
As the number of JJ you can mount in TT is based on your speed scores.

Edit: added links

Edited by Shar Wolf, 10 November 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#159 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

here in mwo and they are talked about on sarna in some articals talk about the class of a jumpjet ie class 1 being on stuff like my highlander where as smaller classes being on smaller mechs like my catapult or the urbanmech

oh and to be clear im not talking about the number of jjs

Edited by kosmos1214, 10 November 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#160 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

AH. K.

That explains it. ATM I can't think of why the limit on the number of JJS on any given battlemech. That sounds like a dumb question i should ask Cray or Nebfer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users