11 replies to this topic

#1 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

If the community wants to build a cockpit, we can use something similar to this and set key bindings inside the game. However, if we want to use USB touchscreens or specialized controls (such as rotary joysticks) an API would make life much much easier.

It would also help for future controller support.

A second API I would like to see is read only access to meta game information. Just something fed to us in XML format so we can have news tickers, status updates, warnings (if our faction is losing or some such), and other immersive information.

Just my wishlist for Christmas ;)

#2 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

I would love that, maybe a simple one for casual players and an advanced one that is able to be integrated with all GUI interfaces? I could see a whole community just based around creating their own controls and cockpits.... ;)

#3 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

I'd like an API, I can find all sorts of things to do with the data.

#4 Agasutin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

View PostS3dition, on 07 December 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

If the community wants to build a cockpit, we can use something similar to this and set key bindings inside the game. However, if we want to use USB touchscreens or specialized controls (such as rotary joysticks) an API would make life much much easier.

It would also help for future controller support.

A second API I would like to see is read only access to meta game information. Just something fed to us in XML format so we can have news tickers, status updates, warnings (if our faction is losing or some such), and other immersive information.

Just my wishlist for Christmas :)

That looks fun as hell to mess with, I can already picture dedicated fans building live Mech cockpits to play in, if an API is released.

#5 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

View PostAgasutin, on 07 December 2011 - 01:48 PM, said:

That looks fun as hell to mess with, I can already picture dedicated fans building live Mech cockpits to play in, if an API is released.

Oh , its very very high up there on my "If I ever won the lottery" list.

#6 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

I'd love to see some API's, though, I don't mind if it's not part of the MVP, just something which can be added down the road.

#7 Bobcat022

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

An API path has to be setup at the start of the beginning development stages not down the road. Here is what can result from a friendly, attractive API development environment for coders:

A - Increases game interest in a much more global arena
B - Like Wordpress, it spawns a wealth of plugin/addons developers, thus more extensions /custom plugins
C - Allows the possibilities of a Developer's Shop supported on the MWO shop site

---------------------------

Edited by Bobcat022, 14 January 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#8 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

Way above my pay grade but can see some people using programmable instrument panels to deck out their home built 'Mech cockpits. The SDK would open these up up to being very useful "at a glance" mini-screens.

Not to mention the full up HOTAS, pedals, and backlit information panel (BIP).

/drool

Edited by Morashtak, 14 January 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#9 Liam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationStuttgart

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

I like it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe there will be a possibility to use 3 Screens. By deactivation of 3D cockpit we could use our own cockpit.
I would probably then go with:

1.)
>Center monitor: projection HUD, visible line of sight
>Left monitor (customizable) + left view btw. left arm view +(battle grid, lance mate data, map etc.)
>Right monitor (customizable) + right view, btw. right arm +(damage report, life support etc.detailed equipment status [ok / damaged])

2.)
> dark cockpit Box (room, made of 5 segments: front, left, right, top, and rear segment, Dark colored)
> proper stick with separate throttle / or Mause + G13 logitech variant
> good sound system

3.)
This would be the worst case scenario (not sure about this, but maybe it will work):
> custom small keyboard in the middle and fron of my legs (for text input)
+ (parallel connection to buttons for cockpit stuff < this could be complicated but still possible)
> cockpit buttons: hot keys: reactor override, eject (pilot like), fire mode etc. (parallel connection to keyboard keys)
> however no indication of status (active or not) but still illuminated cockpit buttons
----------------------------------------------------------

Anyone tried nr. 3 ?

We have at institute a space flight simulator and what I noticed a dark cockpit room with good sound system is already amazing, it feels so cool, no distortions of surroundings etc. with good control interface and nice finish look its almost outstanding ... so I really considering to build such a room. Something small: 1.2 x 1.5 x 1.8 m.
If a cockpit for MWO will be feasible, I will probably post some CADs for a mech cockpit.

Meta API, damn, heat fans to simulate some heat :D

Edited by Liam, 15 January 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#10 Bobcat022

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

API is key to making MW popular, using 3rd parties developers. Here some more advantages:
  • Map creation, adding elements to a map like a pubs, camps, sink holes, traps.
  • Custom Bot behavior. For examples: bot x and y follow me. Do not go out in the field, stay close to terrians, gulleys. Never turn your back towards enemy.
  • Adding specialized equipment
  • Adding any googled mapped city as a battlefield
Again, the API has to be in while starting development.

Edited by Bobcat022, 25 February 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#11 TimberJon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

Can someone create a malicious third party addon that connects using the API to provide an unfair advantage to players? Maybe...

API would need to be tuned to ensure certain types of back-end data is not available for tapping.

#12 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

I have a Razer Nostromo , ther are other keypads very similar, it has keys a wheel and joystick ,extra buttons.

I plan on using it along with myLogitech G500 mouse , would be nice if they had out of box support for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users