Any chance you play testers can give us a sample of control scheme?

53 replies to this topic

#41 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:22 AM

Look, I was serious.
I'm not talking about using my 3rd leg, but the ability to use mouse+keyboard without hassle. If you don't want to answer that honestly and prompt me to read up on joysticks, then thanks, but no. I am very well aware of the roots of MW and that JS is 'the way it's meant to be played', but I stick to M/KB for a reason. No offense.

My question still stands: will a fairly standard mouse with 5 buttons+wheel be enough or do I have to 'upgrade' ?

#42 pursang

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:53 AM

View PostCCC_Dober, on 26 February 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

Look, I was serious.
I'm not talking about using my 3rd leg, but the ability to use mouse+keyboard without hassle. If you don't want to answer that honestly and prompt me to read up on joysticks, then thanks, but no. I am very well aware of the roots of MW and that JS is 'the way it's meant to be played', but I stick to M/KB for a reason. No offense.

My question still stands: will a fairly standard mouse with 5 buttons+wheel be enough or do I have to 'upgrade' ?

Short answer: Most likely.

Long answer: No one can tell you exactly what the best setup is because this game isn't even in beta yet and the playtesters are probably under an NDA so they can't utter a word about the game without consent from the head honchos.

Edited by pursang, 26 February 2012 - 01:59 AM.

#43 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:34 AM

View PostCCC_Dober, on 26 February 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

Look, I was serious.

I was being serious as well. I'm pointing you to all the information that is available right now on controls. Paul has already said

On topic: we've already stated that you will be able to customize your controls as you see fit. If you want to make your button layout backwards/forwards/rotated 45-degrees... you're more than welcome to.

Until they release information that is all that you are going to have to work with.

In my opinion no developer in their right mind is going to say "We are going to build this game so that the keyboard ONLY uses WASD and that if you don't have 326 joystick buttons you are going to be screwed. Sorry, you are out of luck". If 5 mouse buttons aren't enough then I am sure you can re-bind your keyboard to do the other tasks.

On topic: we've already stated that you will be able to customize your controls as you see fit.

If I could make the above flashing yellow interspersed with hot neon pink I would do so.

#44 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

a std mouse with 5 buttons will be fine. A LOT of players will use a standard keyboard and a normal two button+scroll wheel mouse. PGI is going to make the game accessible for people, not shove an advantage to elitist joystick players. I love MW but have never really played with a J/S because I could never afford a good one when i was a teen. I asked for a joystick in 98 and my parents bought me a on-sale 1989 two button crappy arse Gravis joystick, oh look here it is.
Posted Image

You mods and your ninja posts.

#45 Hanyit Greyhame

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

View PostFelix Dante, on 24 February 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

Shenanigans! Shenanigans! :)
*Grabs Pitchfork and Lights his Torch*

No, no, you aren't doing it right!

The proper call is:
Shenanigans! Shenanigans!
Grabs pitchfork and lights FIRESTARTER

See? Much better!

#46 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

Give me wasd and a mouse.

Anything else on those keys. Spotlight, Light amp, Cycle friendlies.. pfft. I'm sure they'll choose wisely. A handful of changes I think we can all deal with.

#47 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Thanks gents, appreciate the info =)

#48 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

I think they should cut a deal with a big Keyboard\ controller\mouse\joystick makers and come out with some MWO
special edition hardware????

Id buy it, how about you ??

#49 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostFinnMcKool, on 26 February 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

I think they should cut a deal with a big Keyboard\ controller\mouse\joystick makers and come out with some MWO
special edition hardware????

Id buy it, how about you ??

I am waiting for it... what better franchise to sell custom licensed hardware to but the fanatics of MW!

#50 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

Am I the only one who thinks the OP has something to do with joystick compatibility, dual-joystick support, throttle support, and that kind of stuff, besides just keybinds?

#51 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Maybe because my OP was more curious as to the keybind style after playing a game of MW4 and then playing MECHVM and MW2 Mercs. I do not own a joystick, but i was also curious as to what types of joysticks the play testers are using if they are using them.

#52 Lorcan Lladd

• 1,037 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

What about using two gaming mouses?
Would MWO support this kind of setup?

Edit.
Yeah, on most computers it would be necessary to manually install a driver for that; I wouldn't even bring it up, usually, but I've seen some games running under this hardware configuration and it's pretty sweet, probably enough so that the effort put towards getting it to work is worth it.

The only thing which really hampers performance is the game's controls and key binding which may not support it at all - that's why I'm left wondering...

Edit again.
Oh, I've found some other software which should handle any such issues nicely - please disregard my questions.

Edited by Lorcan Lladd, 26 February 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#53 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostLorcan Lladd, on 26 February 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

What about using two gaming mouses?
Would MWO support this kind of setup?

I do not think most PCs even support this, I tried when i was using DJ software a while back.

#54 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

I'll attempt to clarify this one more time.

For those of you who want to know what "types of joysticks will be supported and blah blah blah"?

We know one of the devs used a Logitech G940 while playing the game. Draw your own conclusions from that in terms of "will it support multiple control interfaces or just single joysticks".

For those of you who want to know "Can I rebind my keyboard or my joystick buttons or whatever blah blah blah"

Yes, you can.

Other than that we have NO information on control setups nor will they release that information to us today.

Wait until GDC or after.

I think this thread has pretty well served it's purpose.

LOCKED.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users