810 replies to this topic

#701 Spagb0ls

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 64 posts
  • LocationLeeds YORKSHIRE

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

40 and 11 months. Seeing MW2 at friends LAN party lead me to buy a P75 and take out my first personal loan, great days, great days.

#702 Goldfinger

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBlue Tanuki Sake House, Luthien City

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

Fifty-something here. I remember the excitement when the 3025 Tech Manual came out. Played MW2, Mercs, and Ghost Bear's Legacy. MW3, MW4 and Pirate's Moon. Even got a few Virtual World pod sessions in. Then the long lapse.

Longtime House Kurita player (hey I like anime too, so sue me). ;)

Oh and if nobody else covered it yet, FASA stands for the Freedonian Aeronautics and Space Administration.

#703 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

Turn 46 March 28th and I aint missed a Computerized Version of FASA Mechin! Remember when it was called battle droids and consisted of 3 khaki covered booklets and card board stand ups for table top?

Youve come a long way baby!

#704 BigBlue

• PipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLoUiSiAna

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:02 AM

It looks like I am late to this party, but here goes.

I have played Battletech, Megakmek, MechWarrior (Super NES), MechWarrior 2,3,4 and all commercially issued expansion packs, mods and variants.

I have played MWO since closed beta.

Edited by BigBlue, 08 March 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#705 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostIeXsI Frallan, on 08 March 2014 - 01:40 AM, said:

On a side track:

Who would be interested in creating a veterans company where gaming is casual, skill is valued but real life takes precedence?
What about old timers getting together, in positions of authority, to help teach and bring along the youngers, like we used to do during NetMech 95 days? I would love to have as many old timers in AU as possible, but AU is designed to run as a MilSim unit; I don't think laid back is going to get units very far once CW comes out.

View PostGoldfinger, on 08 March 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

Fifty-something here. I remember the excitement when the 3025 Tech Manual came out. Played MW2, Mercs, and Ghost Bear's Legacy. MW3, MW4 and Pirate's Moon. Even got a few Virtual World pod sessions in. Then the long lapse.
By long lapse, do you mean when the Clans came out originally and all but destroyed the tabletop universe?

Longtime House Kurita player (hey I like anime too, so sue me). ;)
I guess I'm weird, because I love Samurai, I love Ninja's, all the history behind them, and they parts they play in BattleTech fiction, but I just can't wrap my head around playin' a snake... isn't that just strange as it gets?

Oh and if nobody else covered it yet, FASA stands for the Freedonian Aeronautics and Space Administration.
WOO-HOO!!!! I was wondering when someone was going to bring that here. Hey, that could be a name for an old-timers exclusive unit... The Freedonian Grenadiers!!! I like that.

Have a great day, all.

#706 JimLahey

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

Mechin' since 1995 when I discovered MW:2.

#707 Hellen Wheels

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

View PostBigBlue, on 08 March 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

If you ever did any wargaming, you should check out Matrix Games' new computer version of World In Flames.

http://www.matrixgam...World.In.Flames

and ACOW (A Century of Warfare)

http://www.matrixgam....Art.of.War.III

Warning: highly addictive, both.

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 09 March 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#708 Drake67

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEnterprise MS

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

46 be 47 in july, been playing since crescent hawks still own all the pc games guess I started playing in 88..

#709 Drake67

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEnterprise MS

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 08 March 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

What about old timers getting together, in positions of authority, to help teach and bring along the youngers, like we used to do during NetMech 95 days? I would love to have as many old timers in AU as possible, but AU is designed to run as a MilSim unit; I don't think laid back is going to get units very far once CW comes out.

By long lapse, do you mean when the Clans came out originally and all but destroyed the tabletop universe?

I guess I'm weird, because I love Samurai, I love Ninja's, all the history behind them, and they parts they play in BattleTech fiction, but I just can't wrap my head around playin' a snake... isn't that just strange as it gets?

WOO-HOO!!!! I was wondering when someone was going to bring that here. Hey, that could be a name for an old-timers exclusive unit... The Freedonian Grenadiers!!! I like that.

Have a great day, all.

well that was what 2old2play was started for. come by join the drops

#710 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostDrake67, on 09 March 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

well that was what 2old2play was started for. come by join the drops
Drake, I may just do that. Thanks for the invitation.

#711 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

I'm 32, I was fascinated by an old Dos game called 'Mechwarrior', played it on a Tandy 1000 ex when I was 9. I started playing battletech when I was 10. My father and I would set it up and I learned a lot from him, as he approached it with a Chess mindset, at 11 we were about 50/50 lol! It all went downhill from there haha, following the Mech games as they have arrived and still play some of them long after they lost popularity. I still have MW2, MW2 mercs, and Ghost bear installed on Mech VM. I have a dedicated old DosBox machine a dual processor PII @ 233mhz that I'll use if I'm feeling real vintage :).

I've been here (Battletech) for life, Probably will remain that way. *Salute to all the guys still meching in from from the 70's, without your dedication to the original we wouldn't have a game today.

#712 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Well,

I'm so old I'm not sure if I have even responded in this thread yet lmao!

46 and still rocking it hard. Played since the first days of mechwarrior, A down and dirty BZ player hot and heavy during MW3, never caught the bug for MW4, or maybe it was because I was in my 20's and had other things to do lol. Still playing nightly to this day, on a competitive squad and enjoying working with younger warriors to make them in to people like us, if that makes sense.
Lpmagic HHoD 51BXO (007/SOD)
<S> to all you crusty old vets, we will see you on the battlefield!

#713 Hopper Morrison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 249 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

ooh a get off my lawn thread.
47 now. started playing when I was 15/16. Ran several Mechwarrior campaigns. Played all the MW video games. Missed out on Living Legends because I wasn't gaming at the time.

nice to see i'm in good company.

#714 Inixiel

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Arizona

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

43 here soon to be an even 44. Played since MechWarrior was a paperback addition to Btech. Old EGAr for the MPBtech. Had another account but the email got hackered and so here I am without my real name.

#715 Xenok

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationUnited States, Mountian Time Zone

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

I am 47. Started to play Battletech when 3050 released (first eddition of it). I have stopped playing this game as of about 3 weeks ago. Its not Battletech or even based on it any longer. Its world of tanks with Mechs. I am looking forward to PGI either pulling its head out, killing the game and someone else getting the battletech contract. This game is dead unless they make some massive changes quickly. I will keep watching what they do with it, but I have no confidence that PGI will be able to recover it.

#716 Eizel Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 113 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

I am 45 this year, I have been playing for 30 years. I started playing BattleTech in 1984. When I went into the local hobby shop to buy more "Micro armor", for "twilight 2000", I saw the black and white box on the shelf and took a look, Phil the owner looked at me and just said "YES". I bough it for $12.00 and opened it. The paper hex sheet , the pad of Mech diagrams for internal structure and armor, the black and white dice and the card board cut out ARCHER, SHADOW HAWK, GRIFFIN, PANTHER, AND BATTLE MASTER peices were all staring me in the face. I read the rules, did a couple trial battles by myself, Read some Novels ( ALL of them Now), and have been playing ever since, I played all the PC games, Table top, my boys found my pewter miniatures, we got into Klicks, and when I was in Iraq in 2011, I saw an add online when I was skyping with my kids about the new mech warrior online, I got into the closed BETA and I may get discouraged by some of the bugs, but deep down in my heart, I thank PGI for reserecting this game for those of us that have known it from its' humble beginnings. Thank you PGI from the bottom of my heart for bringing this addiction back into my life. Now lets go blow stuff up !

#717 Kushiels Dart

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIdaho USA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

It is such a Pleasure to See all who has posted their experiences and Lifes Trials and Tribulations that have been good to them and Thier Families and Friends {Brothers MW's}.
I started playing right after the TT, a few Leagues namely Vengeance, NBT_HC, NBT_3.1 {Briefly} MWL. Not many here know me at all, thats understood. But perhaps a few.
I started as a SIBKO in Vengeance League as xXFAXx {Forsaken Avengers}Cmeg then in NBT as {CYT}Cmeg also a SIBKO, progressed through the Ranks many years later to the present as Khan of Clan Coyote = {CYT} in the Game Ranger Servers currently. When we had 2 Clans at the same time in MWL and NBT our group elected me as the ilKhan at that time.

Currently, as stated above we still have some OT on the Game Ranger Server playing 3rd person/FFP, TA, TB TD, Mission and Co-op play.

Incidentially on June 17th 2014 I will be 82 years of age and a Korean War Vet. Thanking all MW4M Vets that I have played with and against and still do over the Years of this one of a kind Game {MechWarrior4 Mercenaries.} For their Help, Patience, Training and their sharing of Configs, useage of Maps, the whole 9 Yards.

This Game is not learned overnight and takes Hours, days, months and years and I am still learning to this Day, April 13, 2014.

Best of Life to all you MW4M Pilots.

Salute MWO for picking up where MekTek left off. MekTek Directed us to MWO just a few days ago.

#718 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

41 yr old Vet here. Also played CBT (Classic Battletech), Still even have my 3050 Technical Manual (Though my buddy has all the rest of the CBT books we had) and then later played the PC Mechwarrior Games (1-4) and now MWO. Fond memories of playing CBT including 1 game where 4 of us (Each controlling a company) tried for a solid 15 minutes to destoy a Spider in an attempt to cause its engine to explode. (We killed the Spider, but due to our silliness, lost the battle). Another fond memory was my Hatchetman taking on a Star of Omni's and won after finally performing a "Death From Above" on the final Omni, killing it (A Daishi) which also resulted in the destruction of the Hatchetman (Successfully ejected).

#719 SittingDuck71

Rookie

• Shredder
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

I'm 42, I played BT and MW in the late 80's -early 90's. One of you mentioned twilight 2000, played that one as well. Was rummaging around some of my old stuff and my parents house and found a cardboard cutout of a phoenix hawk and a old battletech novel called "Decision at Thunder Rift"...where's the rest of my stuff? Who knows...I don't remember large portions of the early 90s. :wub: Didn't play mw2, didn't have puter at the time. Played mw 3-4. I play MWO with some the same guys I played BT with back in high school.

#720 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

I would love to play tabletop, again, one of these days. I remember all of my '90s... some of it I wish I could forget. Welcome to the old-timer's club!!! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users