You guys have no clue how close to gameplay you're actually watching

58 replies to this topic

#41 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

View Postzverofaust, on 29 February 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

This is clearly the game start sequence we'll be seeing as we enter a game/match. This will be our Personal Mech Hanger. When we enter a game we'll get that same drop sequence. If the trailer had continued, the screen would've faded black, the map loaded, and then presto, we're in game, maybe plunging from the sky.

I hope not. I'll not start from anything below an Overlord!

#42 GuntherK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 01 March 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

I hope not. I'll not start from anything below an Overlord!

Bah, the hull of this Leopard is so spacious you can carry the Overlord inside it. :)

#43 Kael Tropheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

Thats a ginormous mech bay for a tiny cramped leopard designed to carry 4 mechs, which all four basically have their gantries at the doors to begin with.

I hope this isnt the normal opening sequence seeing as mech drops are very rare and very dangerous for the mechs involved, plus the plan goes to hell when you land spread out across tens of kilometers and are effectively alone until you regroup, provided your non-aerodynamic mech didnt break anything on landing. Or aerospace fighters dont shoot the defenseless mechs as they fall.

A typical assault has the dropship landing and opening its doors and the mechs walk outside.

#44 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 01 March 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

Godspeed, good Mods, for you battle a foe that knows not proper spelling; that knows not individuality; it craves attention and relishes in the spread of misinformation. It is pure raw Canadian malevolence steeped deep alongside its **** for all things hot pink. It is the mighty Troll Queen Paul, and it must be completely and unequivocally annihilated, for the good of our community.

Who better to send, to do battle with pure Canadian malevolence, than an even more pure Canadian!!! I shall not know failure!

#45 Galen Shannow

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

Its a rendered game trailer as Bryan said 'for entertainment purposes'....christ if they had an ingame engine up and running that looked good enough (if it's even up and running) they'd posted a screen shot or two. The fact that people continue to slobber over this crap its frankly embarrassing. (and a triumph of marketing over substance)

Edited by Galen Shannow, 02 March 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#46 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

View PostGalen Shannow, on 02 March 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

Its a rendered game trailer as Bryan said 'for entertainment purposes'....christ if they had an ingame engine up and running that looked good enough (if it's even up and running) they'd posted a screen shot or two. The fact that people continue to slobber over this crap its frankly embarrassing. (and a triumph of marketing over substance)

blah blah blah! your no fun :3

This trailer gave us great insight into many aspects of the game! one of the most important being the spoilers about the HUD!

#47 Heronimus Bosch

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

You sir, should read a bit more of the threads and stop being so negative, the gameplay stuff and screen shots will arrive once GDC opens to the public on the seventh (7) of March [Next Wednesday] :)

#48 Charlic Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

All we know is that the real HUD shows up, and thats how the mech is gonna show up and everything. We can't be sure that the whole sequence thing is gonna show all the time. that would be kind of strange...

#49 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

*hangs head low and sighs*

It is NOT a rendered game trailer. That's NOT what Bryan said. Bryan said that some of those assets were built purposely for this trailer and will not be seen in game. By assets, we mean modeled geometry.

This is the engine we're using to create the video, the same engine that drives the game, the same Mech assets, the same HUD system. There IS a reason why I posted this statement before. There is so much in this video that people just won't realize how close they are to seeing actually gameplay footage in terms of quality and assets.

Sorry to sound condesending but the "no screen shots = not real/gameplay" is starting to wear a little thin. As others have mentioned, GDC will prove every one of you who think like this... w.r.o.n.g.

#50 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Oh yeah Paul? Well there's a hell of a lot of things I have no clue as to what I'm watching, so THERE!

Edited by verybad, 02 March 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#51 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

Respect when Paul talks truth.
He was our favorite spy and the 2nd most liked person in PGI, before he revealed his "troll" behavior. :)

Edited by Adridos, 02 March 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#52 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Don't fall for Paul's tricks, what he really means is that at GDC they're introducing the Mechwarrior Crane Grabber game. Looking good so far..

#53 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

Truth be told I heard it was Whack-a-Mech

Posted Image

#54 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

... that wasn't really Paul, as you may have noticed he spelled "wrong" correctly.

#55 lyonn

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationLDN

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 02 March 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

*hangs head low and sighs*

It is NOT a rendered game trailer. That's NOT what Bryan said. Bryan said that some of those assets were built purposely for this trailer and will not be seen in game. By assets, we mean modeled geometry.

This is the engine we're using to create the video, the same engine that drives the game, the same Mech assets, the same HUD system. There IS a reason why I posted this statement before. There is so much in this video that people just won't realize how close they are to seeing actually gameplay footage in terms of quality and assets.

Sorry to sound condesending but the "no screen shots = not real/gameplay" is starting to wear a little thin. As others have mentioned, GDC will prove every one of you who think like this... w.r.o.n.g.

Paul welcome to the internet

1st rule of internet club - pictures or it didn't happen :)

You can't blame people for being sceptical. Games developers are almost on a par with politicians, lawyers and bankers when its comes to promising big..

#56 Maris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

View Postlyonn, on 02 March 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Paul welcome to the internet 1st rule of internet club - pictures or it didn't happen :mellow: You can't blame people for being sceptical. Games developers are almost on a par with politicians, lawyers and bankers when its comes to promising big..

Except in this case, they gave us a video so...it does happen :)

#57 Kharahs

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

Sooo now that Galens credibility on anything he "knows" as fact is shot clean out of the sky....
I love how people who have no idea what they are speaking about come across so condescending.

#58 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

View Postlyonn, on 02 March 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Paul welcome to the internet

1st rule of internet club - pictures or it didn't happen :)

You can't blame people for being sceptical. Games developers are almost on a par with politicians, lawyers and bankers when its comes to promising big..

No way I trust the game devs waaaaaay way more than I trust politicians...

well... except Paul.... no telling what to trust with that one :mellow:

#59 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

View Postzverofaust, on 29 February 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

Paul says we have no clue how close to gameplay we're watching, referring to the trailer.

When Paul says that, I'd assume he means that the computer with the real gameplay was on the same desk that was rendered on. See? Very very close! I kiiiiid, I kiiiiiid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users