188 replies to this topic

#181 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

I don't think it will be the Hunchback... we've already seen that. Hopefully, it will be one of the newer 'Mechs.

#182 Arnold Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • LocationBielefeld, NRW, Germany

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:38 AM

View PostOrzorn, on 04 March 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

The simple fact of the matter is that the only balancing factor to clan tech is their rules of engagement and the Battle Value rules. Since its a PC game, we lose both, unless PGI is extremely clever and somehow manages to enforce at least some part of Zellbrigen (or however its spelled).

On a separate, more on topic note, the pictures that PGI is releasing on their facebook, the fragmented ones, seem to be the view of the hangar from the Hunchback's perspective. So it seems we're going to see the hunchback's cockpit soon.

I agree. One part of that puzzle seems to show a part of the torso of an Atlas and the most actual the right arm of a Jenner.
I think it would be interesting to see how close the in-game cockpit of the Hunchback is to the concept art made by Alex.

Edited by Arnold Carns, 05 March 2012 - 03:58 AM.

#183 AlanEsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostOrzorn, on 01 March 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

If this works the way I think it will (if you've ever played Assault Tech 1: Battletech, that's exactly how I'm imagining this. If you haven't, then its basically MW3 pinpoint cursor, but only for your arms, with a MW2/MW4 cursor stuck in the center of the screen for any torso mounted weapons), then here's my thoughts on it.

I think the torso weapons will be on very restricted gimbals rather than "stuck" in the center of your torso's front arc, but either way it's a good way to handle arm vs torso aiming.

#184 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

View PostAngelicon, on 05 March 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

I think the torso weapons will be on very restricted gimbals rather than "stuck" in the center of your torso's front arc, but either way it's a good way to handle arm vs torso aiming.

Indeed it is. It worked very nicely in AS1:BT, although, now that Bryan has told us the controls, it does control differently, if my memory serves me right.

I'm extremely excited they decided to make arms useful. Its a shame that only one game in the series really gave us the same capabilities (Mechwarrior 3), but even then it wasn't as close to canon, since your torso weapons could also swivel almost as much as your arms.

In the end, what this really adds is another layer of skill for the mechwarrior. Rookie mechwarriors might have trouble managing both at the same time, so they might opt to only torso twist for a while, but skilled mechwarriors will likely use both at the same time to engage multiple targets and cover multiple firing arcs.

#185 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 04 March 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

I have a feeling that they may be intending to use numbers as a "balance" ie 5 Clan v 8 IS. Also we may have combined arms available as NPC by then. At the very least being able to use artillery and air strikes which the clans may not?

Trouble is even if they balance it with numbers, they still have to deal with the fact that each mech on its own is OP. This is terribly attractive to those who think of games in terms of K:D ratios. A person piloting clan mechs will always have a better K:D ratio than an IS pilot at equal skill level. Sure the sides might be equal, but very few people think in terms of the team outside of clan matches (That is the player groups) I'm interested to see how it all works out. I think the game would have been better off avoiding the whole issue and sticking to 3025. IMHO.

#186 crazy jake

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

All I want to know is, if there is a beer-o-meter, sorta like the one Toyota is putting out, tests to see if you've drank any frosty alcoholic beverages before you get behind the wheel, if so I iz gunna fail.

#187 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 05 March 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

In the end, what this really adds is another layer of skill for the mechwarrior. Rookie mechwarriors might have trouble managing both at the same time, so they might opt to only torso twist for a while, but skilled mechwarriors will likely use both at the same time to engage multiple targets and cover multiple firing arcs.
I don't know whether or not I missed something, but what I would like to see is the arms only move so far before the torso begins to move, as well, and the pilot doesn't have to use two controls to make that happen, just the mouse or joystick.

#188 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 05 March 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

I don't know whether or not I missed something, but what I would like to see is the arms only move so far before the torso begins to move, as well, and the pilot doesn't have to use two controls to make that happen, just the mouse or joystick.

You did miss something.

http://mwomercs.com/...219#entry141219

Head (free look) is toggled, when you release the toggle, you snap back to the torso heading. Your mouse moves the torso (yaw/pitch).

I feels pretty much like every other MechWarrior game, except for the minor lead time we've added. For an example on how this looks an feels think Metroid Prime for Wii.

#189 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Thank you, very much, for pointing that out to me. I love the idea of toggle free-look and then off-toggle arms and torso movement; that sounds like something I've been looking for over a long time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users