120 replies to this topic

#61 AceTimberwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • Location春日部市、埼玉県、日本; アメリカ: Arcadia, CA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Well very cool that you guys gotten some use and inspiration from my thread. When Work slows down a bit I'll consolidate the phrases that you could use in game. I wonder perhaps we can use Japanese Typeset ingame.... I do it in Starcraft all the time (There are no Japanese Servers)

Yosh! (actually Yoshi but without pronouncing the 'i') "Alright!" ::I'll throw in the hiragana anyways よし!::

#62 tbrminsanity

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

There is a company that wants to provide a crowd source translation service called Duolingo. The premiss of the service is you learn to speak a foreign language (like Japanese) and in return you help to translate the internet. I would love Mechwarrior Online to offer a similar service for their online interactions. As part of basic training you would be taught the basic military commands in the language of the faction, and from there you would build your vocabulary into fully understanding the language.
The game would take on a unique look and feel, while the players would get to learn something new.

#63 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

So if I were to reply to the thread title with something like

"Sukoshi hanasemasu." would there be a particle that needs to be between them?

Edited by Motionless, 20 April 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#64 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostMotionless, on 20 April 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

So if I were to reply to the thread title with something like

"Sukoshi hanasemasu." would there be a particle that needs to be between them?

no that would be correct response.

#65 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostAceTimberwolf, on 23 April 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

no that would be correct response.

ありがとございました。
Thanks for that.

#66 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

Random fox stopping by to say hi from the FWL and being completely and utterly off topic. Because I can.

#67 Fate Aki

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLuthien、資本ドラココンバイン

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

Perhaps to further this concept to other DCMS players we could post in our location as 'AceTimberWolf' has the translated location. If players would update this intel and translate it, just for fun, it could add a level of intrige to our ranks.

#68 Tengo Kawana

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

I've been studying Japanese for about a half a year now and I will be going there for a couple weeks in the Fall. By then I hope to be low level conversational.

#69 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

View PostTengo Kawana, on 03 May 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

I've been studying Japanese for about a half a year now and I will be going there for a couple weeks in the Fall. By then I hope to be low level conversational.

Where you going to go?

I hear the Harajuku bridge is mostly all tourists now. :D

#70 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

In 05-06 I took two classes in Japanese 101-102 in school, had a native Japanse Sensi. Now that it has been 6 years on, I remember very little but eager to try to use the language in actual conversation, compared to reading a book and reciting an audio recording.

So a chance to learn in a conversational aspect as well as take part in something I am passionate about. I think is an interesting opportunity.

Don't ask me to write anything out. :P

I just find Japanese a very intriguing language, and also a challenge at least for me, being a native American English speaker.

私の日本語を許して下さい
Watashi no nihongo o yurushitekudasai

Edited by 8100d 5p4tt3r, 04 May 2012 - 05:16 AM.

#71 Tengo Kawana

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

View PostMotionless, on 03 May 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

Where you going to go?

I hear the Harajuku bridge is mostly all tourists now. :)

I'm going to Tokyo for a week to just explore, then spending a week travelling with a Japanese friend of mine around Kyoto and other nearby cities by train with a railpass. Hammering out the details and making the money right now, so I'll know more in a month or so. I can't wait though. The food!

#72 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

If you are in Tokyo you should stay away from Roppongi, Don't need a big black guy pushing you into a random elevator and end up in a random hostess bar. Hit up Odaiba and go to the Malla nd the Sega Arcade. All the Toyota Museum is kinda fun. I don't go to Tokyo too often but there are a few things you can do. Tokyo Tower and SkyTree, Horumonyaki if you can find one (delicious!). if you stop by Kasukabe 2nd Best Fried Chicken and Best Chasu Ramen in Japan. and the Robinsons. You can also go to Saitama Prefecture Mall. Try not to buy anything in Akihabara too expensive. If you end up in Hiroshima north of peace park (or even in Kyoto) some bad *** Okonomiyaki. You can hit up Fujiwara if u want to see the underbelly of Tokyo. Kinda interesting not too many American Tourist (Some Koreans and Chinese). If anything for something really awesome go to Nikko on a Day Trip taking the Train. Some great scenery and hiking and exploring. Maybe HIt up Omiya for Shopping. Most people go to Asakusa but try not to be tempted on buying stuff you can usually find stuff cheaper somewhere else.

#73 Tengo Kawana

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

Thank you, AceTimberwolf! I saved your post for all the suggestions. I'd love to try the Okonomiyaki, considering authentic Japanese food is scarce on the East Coast and especially so in my city. My friends have already warned me to stay away from Rappongi and, as I understand it, it's pretty much the center for foreigners looking to party but not a great place to immerse yourself in the culture. I prefer to stay off the beaten path when I travel, even in large, international cities. I can't wait for the food!

#74 Kajihiro

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

This is how it was on Multiplayer Battletech 3025, the two main dominating houses in that game were always Davion, Steiner, and the ever vigilant and honorable House Kurita. Typical Suns though, they just shoot with their mouths -_-'

As for the forum topic, I have studied Japanese in high school/college and my family speaks it. I would enjoy speaking Japanese in game though, it would have a more authentic feel to the houses.

#75 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

I only visited once, but I'll mention some things.

Sony building in Tokyo was really fun, me and a friend got into some blu-ray showing they had going on there when blu-ray was first introduced, it was free.

Me and some friends went out at night in search of an arcade, the arcades in japan are pretty sweet. I had a friend who was huge into Initial D and did well on that, my other friend played rhythm games while I played Super Mario. I would totally recommend that.

My favorite thing in Japan were the Buddhist and Shinto shrines. Especially the non-crowded ones, they're really peaceful and beautiful. And I got to see some great things in them, I got a glimpse of a wedding, as well as amazing bonsai trees among other things.

Posted Image

#76 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

I"m pretty Big on Food so I know most of the Major Food Places. On the West Side of the Imperial Palace is a Legit Pork Ramen Place. In Shinjuku you can hit up some Yakiniku (KBBQ). I already mentioned Fried Chicken and Chasu in Kasukabe. If you want to visit a Maid Cafe go to Akihabara. I think its a waste of money but its an experience. South of Kasukabe in Omiya its pretty cool though the Station area and the actual city is Two Tiered so when you leave there is a Elevated Walking area and you can go down to the City. Its pretty Cool I think. If you get a Chance Kamakura for the Big Buddha and Yokohama for Sushi. I'm trying to think what you can do in Kyoto. Of Course the Shrines and Temples.

#77 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

Updated Original Post with Terms. Let me know what to add!

#78 MCAS

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

Hajimemashite!

Nice to see that there are other House Kurita people out here who have an interest in real Japan and using Japanese.
Also cool to see that somebody else is familar with the addiction that the Intial D arcade games are. They also have networked Gundam simulators at the arcades here too.

Tengo, if you have a week to make your way around Japan outside of Tokyo, I strongly recommend Kobe. Kobe is quite good. I only spent a day there and I want to go visit again. I suggest going to the top of Mount Rokko. The view from Mount Rokko is amazing. Kobe also has a small Chinatown and also has a district of Meiji period Westerner Houses to visit. The Waterfront is also neat to visit as well. There is a very cool maritime and industry museum run in partnership with Kawasaki Heavy Industries on the Waterfront. They have part of an original Shinkansen, and a bunch of cool ships and models, plus they also have an exhibit about the history of Kobe itself. Also, Kobe is only a hour train ride from Kyoto Station.

Kyoto is also very cool. My favorite city in Japan. Reminds me in many ways as a cross between Washington D.C. and Boston. Many old Shrines and Temples and historical things to see, such as the Shogun's Castle and Kinkakuji (Golden Temple). Both Kyoto and Kobe are very modern cities with busy nightlife too.

I also recommend Nara and Hikone Castle. Nara has many Temples and iirc the largest Budda in Japan and also a famous park with many deer. Hikone Castle is right on Lake Biwa and it's a neat traditional Japanese Fortress
As for Tokyo, I say check out Ueno park and Akihabara. The best place I found to eat in Akihabara was a good Indian Curry resturant. Also Harajuku is neat, its the center of fashion in Japan, and while you might not be interested in that, it is interesting. Also, Harajuku park is very nice as well. Also, if you want a real adventure while you are in Tokyo, walk the 46km length of the Yamanote Line. You'll do a loop around the main part of the city and really get to see it.

Also, if your going to be in Tokyo, if you are there in the summer. go to Mt. Fuji. It is really close to Tokyo and you can climb to the top if it isn't covered in snow.

As for myself, I started learning Japanese about a year ago, when I found out I was going to be moving to Japan for my current job. Still really poor with the kanji and my vocabulary stinks, but I can speak a little bit.

Edited by MCAS, 19 May 2012 - 07:00 AM.

#79 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Yokoso MCAS!

Don't worry too much about Kanji. It will come. If you need Help with your Japanese Just let us know. One of us Can Help you out. If anything for practice head over to the Japan Forum and Practice with the Threads I started.

#80 Belldandy Morisato

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts
  • Locationhttp://maison-otaku.net/~hotaru/BELLE.HTML

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Iiyo ne :D Totemo sukoshii nee.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users