120 replies to this topic

#1 AceTimberwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • Location春日部市、埼玉県、日本; アメリカ: Arcadia, CA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

::Original::Since we are Kurita who has the background for our Cherished House? and it is also nice to find the Japanese Speaking Players in Mech games

::Edit:: Alright Lets round up the terms so far...(still work in progress)
Yes "hai"
No "iie"
Do you have a lock? "lock on aru?" or "lock aru?"
If someone asks you (Do you have a lock?) and you don't have one, respond with "nai" |it is the basic negative form of 'aru' which is::to have: :|
if you do have that lock then its "aru" or "hai aru" (nai is already negative so the no is implied. here its possitive with a yes implied but no harm saying 'hai')
where? "doko?"
when? "itsu?"
where I come from ::damn:: is "arre"(ahr-reh) ((just putting it out there I say it a lot at work cause everyone screws me over))
together "issyo"
let's go together "issyo ni iku"
what?(the f?) "eh?" (simple hahaha)
yeah "mmm" (its actually unn but 2 or 3 "m" works too. there is an accent in the beginning. u hear this much in japan)
What?(normal) "nani?"
Why: Different forms "naze" "nande" "doushite" (don’t ask why there are different forms. there are more than this but these are the main ones)
Yosh! "Alright!"
laterz ”Jya!”
Roger! ”Ryoukai! “

Numbers!
alright so basic numbers without counters(descriptors at the end of a number or number particle)
1 "ichi"
2 "ni"
3 "san"
4 "yon" or "shi"
5 "go"
6 "roku"
7 "nana" or "shichi"
8 "hachi" or "hach"
9 "kyu" (pronounced like the leter q)
10 "jyu" (pronounced like Jew. easier to understand no offense to anyone)
Counters for mechs - dai(vehicle counter)
ichi-dai
ni-dai
san-dai

Continuing on...
Look! "mite!"
I saw "mita"
Overheathing "kanetsushiteiru" ( to shorten it just say 'kanetsu')
reboot "saikidou" (that u at the end makes a long o sound)
Enemy "teki" (enemy spotted::saw basically:: 'teki mita' proper would be 'teki o mita' but again battlefield)
North "kita"
South "minami"
East "higashi"
West "nishi" (look west! 'nishi mite!')
.... Colors!
Red "akai"
Blue "aoi"
Yellow "kiroi"
Amber "kousyoku"
Brown "cyairo"
Orange "orenjiiro"(pretty similar)
Black "kuroi"
White "shiroi"
Gray "haiiro"

Hold up a bit "chotto mate"
Stop/Cut it out "yamete"
F-ing STOP "YAMERO!"
Retreat "Tettai"
Pull back "Saishite" (This is a strange one as far as I know no proper way to say the equivalent of pull back but it would work)
That was close('damn almost got him' kinda way) "oshii" (also kinda when you were about to get the strike in bowling but didn't)
Aim at the head "atama neratte"
Replace "atama"with body part that needs aiming at
Right Arm "migi ude"
Left Arm "hidari ude"
Chest "mune"
Right Leg "migi ashi"
Left Leg "hidari ashi"
From the Back "ushiro"

When u have Fired your Missles you would say "hasshashita!"(could also mean something dirty as u have 'unloaded'')
When you want someone to shoot say "Ute!"
If something is dangerous or something is is coming yell "abunai!"
telling someone to be careful or take care is "kiotsukete!"
repair "suri" repairing "surishiteiru" REPAIR! "surishiro!"
too late to repair "atameta"
Condition Critical "abunakkashii!"

Edited by AceTimberwolf, 11 May 2012 - 02:30 AM.

#2 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Sorry if I have to be that guy, but I must remind you that non-English posts are for the International forums only. That said, I know a little myself. Studied a bit in college.

#3 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Well its here if anyone wants to Learn any Japanese Terms or is interested in more of the Ideals or Battletech Japanese as it comes up when you read the Books. I actually thought it was quite interesting seeing how multilingual people were int he BT universe. I wonder if in the 80s of the Japanese Econ Bubble they focus more on that. Perhaps if it were now would they focus more on the Chinese side of things

#4 Deux

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 474 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

no one wants to focus on Liao...

#5 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostGhost, on 01 March 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

Sorry if I have to be that guy, but I must remind you that non-English posts are for the International forums only. That said, I know a little myself. Studied a bit in college.

So long as it's not just Japanese, and has been done in a role-play fashion, wouldn't it get a pass in this section? One part of role-playing a Kuritan character is absolutely abusing the Japanese language for Non-Japanese speaking players!

#6 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Yea I didn't mean it to be just speaking in Japanese but we can enertain abusing the Japanese Language (as long as its in Good taste, I tell you if you cross a certain line). Plus its a push to take down the Nanbanjin (Barbarians in fuedal Japan, its what they called Europeans)

諒解!
Ryoukai!
Roger!

#7 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Lets Start random BT specific (atleast battlfield language) trainging

I'm really bad at coming up with stuff (I had to make a translation book for Americans visiting Japan but I couldn't think of stuff til someone asked a question about how to say something)

When u have Fired your Missles you would say "hasshashita!"(could also mean something dirty as u have 'unloaded'') haha
When you want someone to shoot say "Ute!"
If something is dangerous or something is is coming yell "abunai!"
telling someone to be careful or take care is "kiotsukete!"
repair "suri" repairing "surishiteiru" REPAIR! "surishiro!" (depending on what part of Japan the su can also be a syu)
too late to repair "atameta"
Condition Critical "abunakkashii!"

I'll continue later.
Jya!

#8 DJ PON3

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

I know enough to know that the title should've said "dare ga nihongo o hanashimasuka?". It is nice to find other japanese speaking players though.

#9 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

ga would be unused Current Japanese speak (I'm from Kasukabe Japan Saitama Prefecture about an hour from Tokyo District) What I've see from text books is still a bit too strict and old styled but yea the more polite you are the better. As for ga it is used when something is unknown but since it is asummed that someone would speak Japanese or knows japanese wa(ha character) could be used. but usually ga can be dropped at the beginning of a sentence. Sentence ultimately still reads "who is able to speak japanese?" ga would be a formality.

#10 DJ PON3

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, I've heard that one go both ways, so I just opt for the more polite format. And I guess I don't know enough to know when and when not to drop topic markers ;) . It is nice to find a legitimate japanese speaker instead of someone just using Google translate on these forums. I've been studying japanese for a while, but haven't done much informal stuff yet.

#11 Canniballistic

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

I approve of this thread, so feed me moar!

#12 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

I'm a Davion your eternal enemy.

Don't mind me skulking around these forums, lets just pretend I don't exist, like a ninja. ^_^

[ ;) all that aside I'm always interested in languages. If I learn some japanese I might be able to intercept some of you more hardcore RPer Kuritans comms :D ]

#13 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

One things American Students are better at than their Japanese Counterparts is Keigo.Many of us can't use it. A couple of Exchange students kinda awed some people with using better honorifics than the rest of us.

#14 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

Alright next Part of Battlefield Language...

Hold up a bit "chotto mate"
Stop/Cut it out "yamete"
F-ing STOP "YAMERO!"
Retreat "Tettai"
Pull back "Sai" (This is a strange one as far as I know no proper way to say the equivilent of pull back but it would work)
That was close('damn almost got him' kinda way) "oshii" (also kinda when you were about to get the strike in bowling but didn't)
Aim at the head "atama neratte"
Replace "atama"with body part that needs aiming at
Right Arm "migi ude"
Levt Arm "hidari ude"
Chest "mune"
Right Leg "migi ashi"
Left Leg "hidari ashi"
From the Back "ushiro"

#15 Euphor Kell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOz (Australia)

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

i'm afraid that the only nihongo i know is a little i've picked up from the anime i'm obsessed with :D that said, its not much, but i might be able to phonetically recognise some things people say...
and i like the idea of secrete code for Kurtia affiliated players ;)

#16 Wath

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

話しますけど?
I can read japaese... ;)

#17 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

View PostWath, on 02 March 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

話しますけど?

hanashimas(u) kedo?
reads kinda funky. "although I can speak japanese?"
as long as you try = )

View PostEuphor Kell, on 02 March 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

i'm afraid that the only nihongo i know is a little i've picked up from the anime i'm obsessed with :D that said, its not much, but i might be able to phonetically recognise some things people say...
and i like the idea of secrete code for Kurtia affiliated players ;)

Just remember much of anime is bloody rubbish. That said good! hope everyone can learn something. AND a secret language anyone can learn.

Ah almost forgot for pronounciation if you have a spanish reference point Japanese and Spanish have similar phonetic structure (Since Portoguese and Spanish Sailors were the first to Meet Japanese and Mix within Japanese society before they were all slaughtered and buried because Japanese are very Xenophobic. One Theory in College is that Japanese would be much different if the early sailors never landed in Okinawa Yokohama and Edo(Tokyo)) Anything that ends in -masu drop the (u) to make it sound right. Should sound like spanish mas(more). for the sounds its constanent(I'm bad at spelling) plus vowel. a(ah) i(like the letter e) u(oo like choose) e(eh?) o(oh!). Breaking down "Konnichi wa" breaks down the constanent pairs with singular vowels plus the only constanent with no vowel. ko-n-ni-chi-wa. ah the "ch" takes place of the "ti" which normally doesn't exisit unless its a foreign word but thats for some other day. "ch" is like "ch-ur-ch(church". for the most part Trying to pronounce words in spanish goes along way(if you know how to speak spanish or atleast know what it sounds like)

#18 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

almost forgot!

liao o koroshitai!
"I want to KILL LIAO" (of course with honor and respect and all that nonsense...even though they have none)
muahahaha

(no racism or prejudice was part of this post... some Liao citizens might have been hurt tho)

= P

#19 sceptrum

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

Here are some sayings from the House Kurita sourcebook, lorewise set in 3025, if interested.

Yellow Bird = Only dangerous enemy of the Dragon (mythwise). In common usage, this expression refers to the fact that any enemy can be dangerous, no matter how insignificant in appearance.
Dragon's Breath = The Dragon is capable of killing many opponents merely by breathing on them. In common usage, this refers to the concept that death may come from less-than-obvious sources. It is also used as a collective reference to agents of the ISF.
Dragon's Lair = Any place of guaranteed safety.
Dragon's Seeds = Any new worlds conquered by the Draconis Combine.
Dragon's Tear = Any MechWarrior killed in combat is referred to as a "Dragon's tear".
Dragon's Time = This is the period between sunset and sunrise: the Dragon is a nocturnal creature.
Eyes of the Dragon = The sole vulnerable spot on the Dragon's body, and a potential target of the Yellow Bird.
Shell or Shells = This refers to very young (i.e. unhatched) Dragon. There are many variations. When the word is used alone, it is an exclamation or interjection. "To eat shells" means to suffer at the hands of inferiors, particularly in combat. Someone with "a head like a shell" refers to an inexperienced or incompetent person.
Smile of the Dragon = A Dragon smiles only when it has defeated a worthy opponent, and is now feasting at the opponent's expense.
Sons of the Dragon = This refers to any loyal and faithful followers of the Draconis Combine.
Virtues of the Dragon = The Dragon possesses five Virtues: Bravery, Tenacity, Audacity, Integrity, and Wisdom. In common usage, this refers to the virtues that everyone in the Draconis Combine strives to attain.

Not a translation really, but a profane word used:
Frackencrack = This is an exclamation or interjection, considered by most to be profane.

#20 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

cool cool sceptrum

Lets see how about some basic Japanese to get us started today. I gotta work so I'll keep it short

Yes "hai"
No "iie"
If someone asks you (Do you have a lock?) and you don't have one, respond with "nai" (it is the basic negative form of 'aru' which is ::to have::)
if you do have that lock then its "aru" or "hai aru" (nai is already negative so the no is implied. here its possitive with a yes implied but no harm saying 'hai')
where? "doko?"
when? "itsu?"
where I come from ::damn:: is "arre"(ahr-reh) ((just putting it out there I say it alot at work cause everyone screws me over))
together "issyo"
let's go together "issyo ni iku"
what?(the f?) "eh?" (simple hahaha)
yeah "mmm" (its actually unn but 2 or 3 "m" works too. there is an accent in the beginning. u hear this much in japan)
What?(normal) "nani?"
Why: Different forms "naze" "nande" "doushite" ( don't ask why there are different forms. there are more than this but these are the main ones)

alright off to work. Continue later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users