power armor/Elemental armor

12 replies to this topic

#1 Fox5859

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

ok guys i have been playing mechwarrior for a short time and i have played mech assult and seen the show battle tech and i remembered seeing the power armor elemental armor and remember seeing the other power armor. and i was wandering if you had any plans for the the elements like they could be used as smaller scouts hard to hit. and i was thinking also they could have torchs or weapons like if they got close enough to a enemy without being spotted if they could weld of our cut off armor like if we say a elemental got behind a atlas hostile atlas and it were to say use it jump jets and a laser saw or welder to cut of pieces of its armor and make it more vulnerable from behind. or they could be used to repair damaged mechs that had taken a small amount of damage.

#2 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Nope - no power armor at this time.

From the FAQ

Can I get out of the Mech?

A. Will you be able to get out of the Mech? No. One of our gameplay design pillars is that we are putting you in the role of the pilot (MechWarrior®) in a first person perspective.

We are mechwarriors - not elementals. Furthermore - elementals didn't arrive till the clans which are several months off. IS power armor came much later.

Welcome to the forums and the the Universe btw. As a quick hint - I'd forget everything you saw or heard in Mechassault. This game is a whole different animal entirely

Edited by Listless Nomad, 03 March 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#3 Webclaw

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHamilton, Waikato, New Zealand

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Go check out MechWarrior: Living Legends if yah want to pilot Battlearmour

#4 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Duke Nukem: "Power armor is for . . . . ies "

Edited by Bluey, 03 March 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#5 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

i dont think power armor was invented yet but i could be wrong...also its a mech game about mechs not little peices of metal that die in one shot.
but maybe if you die in game or something you can respawn as a BA?
or if you eject and ur mech is trashed then you can call in a BA so you can escape?

#6 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

You are correct in that BA wasn't invented yet in the innersphere, making your following suggesting largely moot. Powerarmor of any kind doesn't show up until the clans come - this august at the earliest.

#7 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Power armor were invented by the Star League, but it was lost during the Succession Wars. Some were found later in forgotten Star League caches.

#8 KaiserSoze

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationI have left where I was, and I am now where I won't be.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Power armor is a the fastest way to get killed by a mech... no thank you...

#9 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 03 March 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

Power armor were invented by the Star League, but it was lost during the Succession Wars. Some were found later in forgotten Star League caches.

This is the case.

One prominent example is the infamous Bounty Hunter, who "first appeared in the late 2900s and wore a unique PA(L) (Power Armor - Light) suit."

View PostBluey, on 03 March 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

Duke Nukem: "Power armor is for . . . . ies "

Counter-example: the Bounty Hunter :ph34r:

#10 ClockworkJester

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

To be honest I hated Elementals and power armour etc... I really hope they aren't in MWO.
They were just fragile little nuisances running around the battlefield. Shooting them with PPCs made it feel like such an overkill and a waste of time...

#11 Norino

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, MO,USA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

yes true you can get one shot by almost anything out there, but if made true to mechwarrior rules elementals are very dangerous, with a grappling hook that, unlike any other mechwarrior game, should teather you to the mech and a micro laser to shot through the joints in armor once teathered, they tend to deliver mostly internal damage.. even i while playing MW4 i was able to hold my own on a battle field due to peoples bad aim and the ability to achieve a cockpit shot on a mech as you are jumping over it, i find the elemental/power armor one of the most challenging and fun choices to play with.. also not for beginners as it can be very frustraiting..

#12 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

I think the Elemental units could be effective if made right (for the game). I know alot of people say they are worthless...but imagine one of those little buggers sneaking through some buildings and attaching an explosive to your lower leg actuator. A diret confrontation with a mech vs battle armor...mech will always win out. But the Elementals I think would be a good addition to the game. You are still first person and piloting something. It could put another little twist in this game. Hell I'd love it if tanks were made...and aerospace fighters. Have the entire battletech universe in one massive online game.

#13 El Loco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

Frankly, I'm quite happy that battle armour isn't in the focus of the game. They can be a royal pain to fight against, especially in confined spaces, but are they really necessary for a MechWarrior game? I say no.

If the devs want to implement them later on, they will do so. But keep in mind, as soon as battle suits enter the fields, people will insist on getting tanks, aerospace fighters, and whatnot. All these things are cool, but they all have to be assigned to roles, get their own skill trees, balanced, and so on and so forth... a lot of fuss for something I consider not a major part of a Mechwarrior game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users