What WOULD You Pay For? Specifically

2003 replies to this topic

#1 Knightcrawler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

This game is free-to-play. They've already said that they aren't going to sell anything that gives a player an advantage, and I guess that means mechs and weapons. But these guys have to make money! So let's help them! Tell them what you WOULD buy. Please don't post here what you wouldn't buy here, so this can be an entirely positive thread for the devs to look at.

1) Custom Decals. Let's face it, people want custom decals. But nobody (few people) want to see some guy's... member painted onto a mech, or Naruto (not that I don't like it, mind), or something of the sort. The answer is surprisingly simple. Make it so that custom decals can be uploaded, but they have to be approved by a moderator first. So let me write out a little scenario of how it could work.
i) Select to upload/purchase a custom decal.
ii) Try to submit it. If it's the wrong filetype, wrong number of colors, wrong resolution, etc., it will be automatically rejected.
iii) Select a color for the alpha channel. Or use some build-in tool to overlay an opacity, or whatever.
iv) Pay $2.
v) A moderator will approve or disapprove the image. If the image is disapproved, he may give a suggestion on how it should be changed to for approval. Is the quality too lacking? Is it too close to something popular from another franchise? If the disapproved image is edited appropriately, upon the next upload no payment would be required.
vi) The custom decal can now be placed on any of your assets just like a normal decal.
vii) The alpha channel can be edited afterward, but nothing else.
viii) If the image needs to be updated, it can be for another $1 and another approval. The new version will replace all old versions.

2) Cockpit accessories. Me and Bitey were having a conversation in another MechWarrior game today, and he said his cockpit would be filled with trash if he were actually a mechwarrior. You know, empty bottles, candy wrappers, etc.. He said he'd love it if he had to dig through all the trash to find the eject lever, and he'd be willing to pay for it in MWO. I didn't know if he's gonna post in this topic, so I may as well throw it in here.
i) This could be combined with the previous suggestion to allow 3D-modeled objects to be used in your cockpit. They would never need to be uploaded to any other players because they're in a cockpit, so it wouldn't be a problem with bandwidth. MWO would just verify the file with what had been uploaded and approved (for maybe $4, since it's a bit more work to check the multiple textures, shapes, etc.) before each mission.

3) Music. MechWarrior II had a bonkers-awesome soundtrack. I want another one, but with longer tracks. Give a bunch of stock tunes, and as the musicians make more, make us pay for them if we want to hear them in-game. It could be set to automatically lower the volume when in-game voice is being used, or TS3, or something.

Come on, guys! Let's get creative for them. List things you want to or wouldn't mind paying for, not things you dread buying.

#2 P34C3 M4K3R

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:13 AM

Victory and taunting animations would be very rad. Gladiator matches would benifit so much from this if they include them. I would pay $2 for my mech to do a little river stomp.

Paint and camoflages in general would be cool. They could have basic functional camos, but the really neat ones can be charged I would pay for having my mech decked out in gold ^^.

Also I remember in city of heroes a long time ago you could fiddle with the colors of your super moves: So why not change the color of your lasers, gauss trail, or missle smoke.

I would like to have some way in seeing what all those would look like before buying them. Some visual in the online store would be fantastic.

Edited by _12342, 02 November 2011 - 06:15 AM.

#3 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:18 AM

View Post_12342, on 02 November 2011 - 06:13 AM, said:

Victory and taunting animations would be very rad. Gladiator matches would benifit so much from this if they include them. I would pay $2 for my mech to do a little river stomp..

This would be awesome.

#4 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

View PostSkoll-, on 02 November 2011 - 04:28 AM, said:

[Content removed]

:) Freak...

But back to topic... as mentioned above: I would throw in some bucks for customizing my mech. Decals, falgs, badges... maybe also some interior stuff as we will be able to see our cockpit. A different hud style maybe. Or... if thats possible, a little different mech-design. Maybe you saw some of the different ways to design the head of for example an Atlas. I sure would spend a few bucks to get a glowing red, grim Atals-Head. :D

Edited by Chris K, 05 October 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#5 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

View PostKnightcrawler, on 02 November 2011 - 04:19 AM, said:

This game is free-to-play. They've already said that they aren't going to sell anything that gives a player an advantage, and I guess that means mechs and weapons. But these guys have to make money! So let's help them! Tell them what you WOULD buy. Please don't post here what you wouldn't buy here, so this can be an entirely positive thread for the devs to look at.

1) Custom Decals. Let's face it, people want custom decals. But nobody (few people) want to see some guy's... member painted onto a mech, or Naruto (not that I don't like it, mind), or something of the sort. The answer is surprisingly simple. Make it so that custom decals can be uploaded, but they have to be approved by a moderator first. So let me write out a little scenario of how it could work.
i) Select to upload/purchase a custom decal.
ii) Try to submit it. If it's the wrong filetype, wrong number of colors, wrong resolution, etc., it will be automatically rejected.
iii) Select a color for the alpha channel. Or use some build-in tool to overlay an opacity, or whatever.
iv) Pay $2.
v) A moderator will approve or disapprove the image. If the image is disapproved, he may give a suggestion on how it should be changed to for approval. Is the quality too lacking? Is it too close to something popular from another franchise? If the disapproved image is edited appropriately, upon the next upload no payment would be required.
vi) The custom decal can now be placed on any of your assets just like a normal decal.
vii) The alpha channel can be edited afterward, but nothing else.
viii) If the image needs to be updated, it can be for another $1 and another approval. The new version will replace all old versions.

2) Cockpit accessories. Me and Bitey were having a conversation in another MechWarrior game today, and he said his cockpit would be filled with trash if he were actually a mechwarrior. You know, empty bottles, candy wrappers, etc.. He said he'd love it if he had to dig through all the trash to find the eject lever, and he'd be willing to pay for it in MWO. I didn't know if he's gonna post in this topic, so I may as well throw it in here.
i) This could be combined with the previous suggestion to allow 3D-modeled objects to be used in your cockpit. They would never need to be uploaded to any other players because they're in a cockpit, so it wouldn't be a problem with bandwidth. MWO would just verify the file with what had been uploaded and approved (for maybe $4, since it's a bit more work to check the multiple textures, shapes, etc.) before each mission.

3) Music. MechWarrior II had a bonkers-awesome soundtrack. I want another one, but with longer tracks. Give a bunch of stock tunes, and as the musicians make more, make us pay for them if we want to hear them in-game. It could be set to automatically lower the volume when in-game voice is being used, or TS3, or something.

Come on, guys! Let's get creative for them. List things you want to or wouldn't mind paying for, not things you dread buying.

How much would it cost me to drive a Thunderbolt adorned with the AC/DC logo blaring "Thunderstruck" with a pair of fuzzy dice hanging off the rear-view screen?

My suggestion on cash shop items: Clan tech.

#6 Knightcrawler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:43 AM

brixx, good suggestion. I didn't think of that. They could make alternate meshes for the mech that you could buy. This'd be pretty popular considering how many artistic interpretations many mechs have in BT/MW.

ghost, I am not sure how much that would cost, but it would be priceless!

#7 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:47 AM

I'd probably pay for more "mech bay space" meaning I could "own" more than 1 battlemech at a time. Just like how other MMO's have character slots

#8 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

I WOULD NOT not clan tech to be purchased. I loved to play Stronghold Kingdoms, another F2P that was pure P2W I hated it, i quit after making a rather good sized kingdom and I had been trying to unite all of North Wales... But the ability to buy your way to the top right ticked me off. RIGHT TICKED ME OFF! So NO, no going and buying Clan Tech. I want a plethora of options to spend dollars to support PGI, but nothing at all that gives a clear advantage.

I would pay to become a clansmen, but not for others to get clan tech, any tech should be bought by hard earned in game cash or salvaged.

Any pruchaseable advantage will quickly ruin the game for anyone too poor to afford a pair of clan ER PPCs

#9 Knightcrawler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

Mech bay space is very practical, SquareSphere. :) (I agree with you, Coffi, but I don't wanna get down on anyone)

Edited by Knightcrawler, 02 November 2011 - 08:16 AM.

#10 Perigren

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:23 AM

the ability to control my pandora feed or i-tunes library in game.

#11 Perigren

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:27 AM

oh yeah, an sp campaign.

#12 omegaclawe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

Decal customization, skins, etc. are nice and all, and I'm sure people will pay for them, but I'm not likely to, personally.

I'd be more likely to pay for Mech Slots, Storage space, extra pilots, etc. Stuff that increases the breadth of my experience, overall. That said, if there are less Mech Slots available for free than there are roles to be played, you're going to see a massive imbalance in the number of people doing certain roles... so they should give us at least that many.

The other sort of thing I'd be undoubtedly willing to pay my hard-earned cash for would be Singleplayer/Coop Missions/Campaigns/etc. Could justify the cost of developing the AI, and it would fill the largest gap that the MMO style creates for a Mechwarrior game. In the same vein, I'd also pay for a version of the game that could, in fact, be modded for said campaigns and wot, or allow players to host their own servers with specific options/changes, more similar to how previous game's multiplayer worked. Were I the type for it, I shouldn't be entirely deprived of the option to, for instance, play NHUA games in whatever ridiculous Mech I wanted, so long as I was playing with other like-minded people, or, on the other end, Stock/TRO only matches and the like. Obviously, none of this should affect the progress of my pilots/mechs in the main, MMO part.

Finally, I might, depending on my time vs. Money, be willing to pay for more rapid advancement. Moving through the ranks at twice, or even just 1.5x the normal speed could be worth my money, and would certainly be worth a large portion of the playerbase's money. They'd get new toys faster, but I somehow doubt that it would imbalance the game... these people would also miss out on the skills developed as one works their way up to said toys in the free version, and it would not deprive any free players of any item paid players could get. In the same vein, a direct payment to receive in-game money (but not the other way around, or for experience) might also fall into the same vein, and discourage "gold farmers", and 3rd parties trying to do the same. This could be a bit imbalanced, but few things feel as rewarding as forcing the ***** in the other mech to pay $100 to replace his stupid design, or something along those lines (depending on how the game worked).

#13 TheForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:34 AM

I would pay for extra characters/mechs if it was done like this: http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

I would also pay for maps/missions and cosmetics.

#14 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:37 AM

Bling and paintjobs.

Actually getting a good and in-character paintjob would be nice. Having a pay a small sum is also OK. Some bling for the cockpit would also be nice. Again, having to pay a small sum is OK.

And I would very much be OK with paying for the chance to have my own in-game playlist.

Heck, I'd be only too happy with a scheme were you paid according to the sort of paintjob you wanted. Half-and-half black and white? $2. Black with flames painted on the legs? $5. Harlequin painted mech, complete with a grin on the cockpit? $10.

#15 Wynter

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

I'd pay for mech designs that were cosmetic. In Star Trek online for example you can buy ships that look different, but have the exact same stats as one you get in game. So you are buying a mech, but it just looks like a different model.

Also, like in some games, I'd pay to add my own Jpeg / image to my mech. Like in some games where people spray paint a logo or image ingame. You'd pay to upload an image that would be used on your mech or as your groups logo etc.

Edited by Wynter, 02 November 2011 - 09:00 AM.

#16 omegaclawe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

View PostWynter, on 02 November 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

I'd pay for mech designs that were cosmetic. In Star Trek online for example you can buy ships that look different, but have the exact same stats as one you get in game. So you are buying a mech, but it just looks like a different model.

Also, like in some games, I'd pay to add my own Jpeg / image to my mech. Like in some games where people spray paint a logo or image ingame. You'd pay to upload an image that would be used on your mech or as your groups logo etc.

The problem is, this isn't a spreadsheet simulator. Unless the mech also had the same profile, one would be more advantageous than the other. :/

#17 ELHImp

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

What about avatar customisation. Not mech, but pilot appearance?

#18 CasualT

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

View Postbrixx, on 02 November 2011 - 06:30 AM, said:

:) Freak...

But back to topic... as mentioned above: I would throw in some bucks for customizing my mech. Decals, falgs, badges... maybe also some interior stuff as we will be able to see our cockpit. A different hud style maybe. Or... if thats possible, a little different mech-design. Maybe you saw some of the different ways to design the head of for example an Atlas. I sure would spend a few bucks to get a glowing red, grim Atals-Head. :D

Or an Atlas with a grill.

#19 Wynter

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:01 PM

View Postomegaclawe, on 02 November 2011 - 09:11 AM, said:

The problem is, this isn't a spreadsheet simulator. Unless the mech also had the same profile, one would be more advantageous than the other. :/

True.. Something like that would probably work better with Clan stuff since it's more modular, but still no 2 are 100% equal.

If weapons had ratings ingame so that you could buy mechs with maybe a different configuration / weapons list, but still have the same rating so that in essence you didn't have any advantage by buying something. You just have something that looks different and has a different variety of weapons that does the same damage.

Edited by Wynter, 02 November 2011 - 12:03 PM.

#20 Owl Cutter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

I dunno, I think custom decals could work if they were one of the more costly items and abuse resulted in loss of not only that money investment but also banning from the game.

When I have spare money to throw around, I would pay to support the developers. My preferred in-game reward would be anything under the sun which doesn't make me feel cheap for buying an advantage. I know it's not very specific, so... I guess access to parade paint jobs? That wouldn't feel cheap, I guess. I don't like the Atlas much, but if I did it would be a texture for the Atlas Face as depicted in the pre-vis video. BEST. ATLAS. FACE. EVAR.

Edited by Owl Cutter, 02 November 2011 - 12:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users