32 replies to this topic

#1 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

I saw this article posted in the screenshots thread, but haven't seen it discussed elsewhere:

http://www.digitaltr...return-in-2012/

A standard 12v12 match in MechWarrior Online is a no-respawn affair; if your mech is destroyed, your time in the match is over. These mechs are persistent too; whether your is destroyed or simply damaged in a match, you’ll need to make sure it’s repaired once the match is over. Other modes are possible in addition to the core 12v12. Drop Ship is one example, allowing players to bring three mechs into battle; if what you’re piloting is destroyed, the next mech in your lineup gets dropped into the battle.

They don't write as though guessing - they report it as fact. Now, with everything - this needs to be taken with a grain of salt (thanks IGN) - but given the teaser trailer and the Leopard announced, I think it's legit.

Second, it's seeming as though the community warfare part of the game is only one type of game mode - given the way it is being described. I could be wrong, but I figured it was worth discussion.
"

"For those who wish to dive deeper, Piranha is planning some elaborate community features to give players the feel that they’re fighting in a persistent future war. The calendar that we use today is still in place in the game’s 3048 setting, so there’s a sense of everything in the ongoing war unfolding in real time.

http://www.digitaltr...return-in-2012/

"There is another type of warfare in the game that the team briefly mentioned: community warfare. It's in this sphere that you can join mercenary groups to try to take over sections of the world and control the meta-game. Unfortunately, Piranha wasn't quite ready to get into detail about that yet."

http://massively.joy...warrior-online/

Edited by Listless Nomad, 08 March 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#2 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

Dropship game mode has been mentioned in a few threads, but no dedicated thread to it. Good call.

The persistant warfare has been covered in the older Dev Blogs.

Exciting stuff!

#3 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostHelmer, on 08 March 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

The persistant warfare has been covered in the older Dev Blogs.
Exciting stuff!

Lol I know that - what I mean't more was that it wasn't the only game mode anymore. That there might be a regular map rotation type deal, and that community warfare might be more of an online campaign.

#4 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

A regular map rotation? Not following.

I'm sure the different planets you assault in the Inner Sphere will have the standard Forest/ice/Desert maps, but that's not what you're saying , is it?

And Community warfare IS an ongoing campaign.

Edited by Helmer, 08 March 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#5 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

The devs have already expressed there will be multiple game modes. This is not news.

#6 Cur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 335 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

ima put it out there that one of the maps, perhaps the one that all the sexy screenies were taken, is called...

"Woodland Colony"

the dev's are dropping hints left, right and centre, you just need to be there to hear them :P

#7 Stripes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNizhny Novgorod, Russia

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Different game modes go by default with genre.

#8 Breeze

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

A standard 12v12 match in MechWarrior Online is a no-respawn affair; if your mech is destroyed, your time in the match is over.

I think THIS is the best bit of information tucked away on that preview. There was quite a bit of worry that without true mech destruction (see Developer Answers 4) that the game could devolve into a re-spawn fest.

I was always a supporter of the idea that just because your mech isn't destroyed doesn't automatically mean you can re-spawn into a match. And that seems to be the default case! I like the limited re-spawn mode as well, as that gives house/merc units some flexibility and tactical options in deciding what forces to commit (like having a reserve line for a sports team).

Not having mech destruction just means you don't have to buy a new mech. But since repairing a damaged mech will cost C-Bills anyway, it's really just semantics. The end result is the same: Get taken out of a match, and there'll be consequences to face.

Edited by breeze, 08 March 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#9 Cur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 335 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

View Postbreeze, on 08 March 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

I was always a supporter of the idea that just because your mech isn't destroyed doesn't automatically mean you can re-spawn into a match. And that seems to be the default case! I like the limited re-spawn mode as well, as that gives house/merc units some flexibility and tactical options in deciding what forces to commit (like having a reserve line for a sports team).

Not having mech destruction just means you don't have to buy a new mech. But since repairing a damaged mech will cost C-Bills anyway, it's really just semantics. The end result is the same: Get taken out of a match, and there'll be consequences to face.

I'm pretty sure they've balanced it out nicely.

Say you're in a fight with a fresh mech. An atlas comes for Coffee, you're mech's reactor goes critical. Kaboom. End of match.

You return to the mechbay to see a pile of elegant looking scrap in the place you're mech would be. From the parts leftover, it'll cost you just under what buying the mech new should cost, cosindering say only a few trigger mechanisms and something that resembled the internal arm of you're mech, thats completely understandable. It costs less than a full mech because you alrleady have the schematics to rebuild it, and some parts to get you started.

Its not been specefied that if you dont have enough cbills for repairs if you can take a half-fixed mech into the field - it wuold be extreamly interesting tho :P

With the respawn mechanics.... you'll find theres going to be a big playerbase that loves that kind of gameplay, and another big playerbase that does not. They could probably get away with insta-respawn by pitting pilots against pilots in "simulation pods", like outlawed poker at an underground bar.

For those that prefer realism... i think it silly you even think you'd be left out, or neglected! For the stuff with mercs taking planets, and the such, im going to be arrogant/cocky and place money on the idea that to take a planet, its going to be very costly and going to take alot of attempts by the big Merc groups, purely because of the realism + difficulty that would be involved in taking a planet. (Dropship sends in 30 mechs, 30 mechs go boom, invasion force nutered, go home, make more cbills, buy new mechs, try again)

#10 Breeze

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostCur, on 08 March 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

Its not been specefied that if you dont have enough cbills for repairs if you can take a half-fixed mech into the field - it wuold be extreamly interesting tho :P

WELL! Also from Developer Answers 4, there's this little tidbit: [GARTH] To be clear, you could take a damaged ‘Mech into combat, if you wanted to.

:D

#11 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

I imagine once a fight is over you will get your mech back for free, it will be a complete wreck but usable in it's current state. If you were unfortunate to earn no xp and be the first one destroyed and then for your team to lose you would need to have something to enter the next fight in for free. I don't think you'll be put into a position where you can't play because you don't have the c-bills, and the only way to do so would be to buy using real cash.

My gut feeling is that the dropship mode will be a siege mode of sorts where the attacking force will need more than the defenders, just to even the odds of being in a defencible position, plus it gives it more of a planetary invasion feel.

With maps i hope there isn't a set few maps for each environment, but that somehow the game has assets that it will randomly assign to create unique maps each time, except for siege games which could have a standardised base of some description.

Edited by Sears, 08 March 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#12 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

This drove me to distraction, allow me to fix;

Its not been specefied that if you dont have enough cbills for repairs if you can take a half-fixed mech into the field - it would be 3xtr3m3ly interesting tho.

That is more like it.

#13 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:02 AM

Russ' interview should be the reference here.

He said

1. 12 v 12

2. Dropship mode

Stay tuned.

#14 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

Russ mentioned 2 play mode at release, Team Mode, and Hotdrop mode

His further comments were, ""We will adding more play modes as the game progress's"

I have read through most the threads, and I don't see anybody mentioning it.

I guess I'm the only one geeked out abut it, I can see several modes that would be captivating.

Progressive modes; Active story-line threads you can be inserted in

Open sandbox for (sort-of) TT & Solaris style

OH, all the Solaris tourney modes possibilities has me geeked the most..

just some ideas...

#15 Storm McIntyre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

I have to admit, I am also looking forward to the possibility of a Solaris tourney mode, but a Progressive mode or Open Sandbox would also be warmly welcomed.

Ah... Possibilities... :P

#16 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Also there will be objective and deathmatch styles. I would presume that's in both game modes.

#17 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Am I the only one who always hears the word 'Solaris' in Duncan Fishers voice?

#18 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 09 March 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

Am I the only one who always hears the word 'Solaris' in Duncan Fishers voice?

No.... Shudders

#19 HUEY350

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

I think it would be cool for like a convoy game mode. at start team 1 spawns near the convoy and have to bring it to point B. while team 2 picks from several spawn points near the direct path that the convoy goes down to ambush them.

#20 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'm looking foward to a whole array of differen't scenarios like many of the ones mentioned above. The Devs have failed to dissapoint on every level so I know that as we go on and more and more DLC comes out this game is just gonna get better and better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users