So you want to know about Beta? *Info* Ask about it here

64 replies to this topic

#41 HSSG MaddogK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

OUCH !
Having given up ever seeing a beta key I notice my approval was sent a month ago. So now that I'm already a month behind the curve I gotta ask if there's a way to D/L the client and patch files on my uber-speedy office computer, and transport/install the files on my game pc at home.

#42 Davion5150

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostHSSG MaddogK, on 03 October 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

OUCH !
Having given up ever seeing a beta key I notice my approval was sent a month ago. So now that I'm already a month behind the curve I gotta ask if there's a way to D/L the client and patch files on my uber-speedy office computer, and transport/install the files on my game pc at home.

Not that I'm aware of.

#43 Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostDavion5150, on 03 October 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Not that I'm aware of.

Alternative is of course bring your home computer to work.

#44 Xe1a

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

please give me download page

#45 CobraFive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Haha, in the three pages here, only three people have posted who are not in beta.

I wonder why there was an NDA in the first place.

#46 HSSG MaddogK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostKobold, on 03 October 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Alternative is of course bring your home computer to work.

Yup, exactly what I was thinkin.
:(

#47 Grease Monkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationKCMO

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostXe1a, on 03 October 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

please give me download page

tentonhammer.com was handing out free closed beta keys, dont know if they still are though. PC gamer will have keys in the Oct 9 issue that will be useable on the 16th

#48 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

View PostHarrison Kelly, on 03 October 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

I just didn't want to bother you guys! Thanks for the weapons table. I've heard different numbers on how long it takes to unlock Mech variants, anywhere from 10-20 games to 50-100. Does that seem accurate?

What's the benefit of having multiple variants of the same Mech? Are they equipped with different hardpoints, e.g. ballistic hardpoints for a Gaussapult vs the standard fire support Cat?

Does the Gauss really sound that wimpy?

If it'd bother us, we wouldn't have started the topic here on General. :(

Unlocking a 'Mech involves buying it- and 'Mechs cost money (C-bills). Since you're getting X amount of money per match (which varies from patch to patch), and bigger 'Mechs cost more money, it means that in general, the heavier or more teched-out a design, the more matches it'd take to buy one.

Different variants do indeed have different hardpoints- a K2 Catapult has no missile HPs, one energy HP's in each of the arms, one each in the side torsos, and one ballistic HP in each of the side torsos. A stock -C1 has two energy HP's in the CT, one in each side torso, and one missile hardpoint in each arm. -C4's have two less energy HPs in the torso and two more missile HP's in the arms, while the -A1 has six missile hardpoints (3 per arm) and NO energy HP's. In addition, even 'Mechs with the same name and hardpoints in the same location can get different performance out of them- the way an Atlas-RS launches LRMs is different from the way an Atlas-D (both have 2 missile HP's in the same location) does it, and it actually matters in gameplay.

Yes, Gauss rifles sound relatively wimpy, but the thing hits like a truck, and the twin-Gauss K2 "Gaussapult" is known as the best sniper currently in the game.

#49 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostXe1a, on 03 October 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

Can I already play in beta? If yes, where i can find download link?

Only if PGI grants access. Only accounts with access unlocked (all Founder's, and anyone PGI or a company PGI has granted keys to, like PC Gamer for their October issue or Gamespy) can download the beta client.

Do NOT try for beta keys from third parties otherwise. This has been a known way to let someone malware their way into your computer, and frankly- they don't bloody work.

View PostHSSG MaddogK, on 03 October 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

OUCH !

You'd have to basically D/L the client, patch, and then bring the entire thing home on a thumb drive to load on your computer. I suppose it's doable.

#50 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostCobraFive, on 03 October 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

Haha, in the three pages here, only three people have posted who are not in beta.

I wonder why there was an NDA in the first place.

Well there was a slight flub a couple weeks ago where they accidentally sent beta emails to everyone on their regular mailing list instead of just the people that were actually invited to beta. I think that might have had some influence on this matter.

#51 Instinct

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

Wow. Great info in this thread. I'm in the beta but I have a question though...

MWO seems to be based on a server based hit model (you shoot, server decides if you hit or not) meaning you have to take lag into consideration when aiming, right?

Any information on if there will be a switch to a client based model (such as in bf3, you shoot what you see, your client reports a hit, sends it to the server, the server probably verifies, you get a hit)??

I mean its critical in mwo to aim at the right bodyparts of a mech if you want to score a kill, now thats impossible with a server sided model and no excellent ping. Mine is always above 130ms, sometimes up to 250 and up (should have about 30ms with dsl...) So I keep *GUESSING* how far I have to aim in advance to hit the enemy.

And even if it remains to be a server sided model, will there be any feedback changes, i.e. a assistant that tells me how far ahead I have to aim, or that the enemy mechs only show damage such as melting metal when I acutally hit, which would be a nice feedback too and probably easier to code...)?

Hitting the right points is so critical in this game yet impossible with a (fast) moving enemy and high lag... which means primarly players with a very low ping will have a big advantage. And piloting a jenner is not only good because of the speed but also because you can exploit the enemies lag BIG time.

#52 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

View PostSprouticus, on 03 October 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

I would agree that Open beta should be pushed back if possible. But nothing is perfect.

As for your opiion, yo uare of course welcome to it. I think of myself as good at seeing thebig picture and IMO it looks ok. Are there pitfalls, sure. But PGI has come a long way in the last 3 months, I see no reason why that won't continue.

Matchmaking is on 'v0.2' (according to PGI). Luckily it is something they can tweak without a patch. In fact they have. When v0.2 came out we were getting a lot of 8v6 and 8v7 matches, PGI fixed that without a patch.

I'd just like the option to delay premium time from my founder's pack if open beta is coming before mid-november.

#53 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

View PostAym, on 04 October 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

I'd just like the option to delay premium time from my founder's pack if open beta is coming before mid-november.

they restart our premium time each wipe so it should START start at open beta.

#54 Harrison Kelly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

View PostDocBach, on 04 October 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

Wait, they do WHAT now? :)

#55 Kell Draygo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 884 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

Yeah, the premium use that Founders have begin in Open Beta, not the 'real launch'. So many people consider Open Beta as the Live launch.

#56 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

View PostDocBach, on 04 October 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

How did you misread me? I mean, no offense, but yeah I clearly know that and am upset that my premium time will tick down during Open Beta if it's as soon as we suspect, ie before features implemented in mid-late november according to the current schedule.

#57 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

you forgot about the weapon of the week is op posts. why does no one actually read some posts before posting...

#58 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

View PostInstinct, on 04 October 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

And even if it remains to be a server sided model, will there be any feedback changes, i.e. a assistant that tells me how far ahead I have to aim, or that the enemy mechs only show damage such as melting metal when I acutally hit, which would be a nice feedback too and probably easier to code...)?
As far as I am aware, all of this is already the case. The developers had once explained that MWO uses some sort of "prediction" method where your client estimates where your target will be in the next moment, as to prevent mechs "lagging around" on the battlefield. Occasionally, this may still happen, when your client estimated wrongly, but from my personal experience these moments are rather rare (and I play with a ping of ~150) and I am able to aim with sufficient accuracy.

View PostInstinct, on 04 October 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

Hitting the right points is so critical in this game yet impossible with a (fast) moving enemy and high lag... which means primarly players with a very low ping will have a big advantage. And piloting a jenner is not only good because of the speed but also because you can exploit the enemies lag BIG time.
As a Jenner pilot, I have little problem killing other Jenners (or other Lights) even with my ping, and two Lights dancing around each other is even more of a "dance" than 1 Light vs 1 Assault.

Do you experience latency spikes? Those are worse than a higher than average but consistent ping. The only thing I could recommend is checking what you can do to improve networking conditions. If you have W-Lan, use a cable. Disable background applications that may sap your bandwidth (Steam, youtube, ...), and so on.

#59 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

There have been only a few times in beta (I've been in since the beginning) where there was a consistent problem with the location prediction. Before there were engine limits, it was possible to get some of the light mechs moving at nearly 200 kph. That was a bloody nightmare. It was nearly impossible to tell where those mechs were in reality. They definitely were not where you saw them on your screen. The engine limits have largely negated this problem. Today, a mech is pretty much exactly where you see it, except . . .

When a mech is knocked down. This is still a nightmare scenario if you're the one on the trigger end. It's often further complicated by the fact that mechs on the ground are often a result of a friendly on enemy collision. So you've got a friendly mech and an enemy mech on the ground. Both mechs are often rubber banding around pretty significantly and it's nearly impossible to shoot the one you want to shoot. You generally have to wait until the target starts to stand up before you can be SURE of where your target really is.

It's definitely gotten better, but it's still a big problem. I'm sure PGI is aware of it, and I hope they'll be able to correct it, but this one issue won't break the game, it will just annoy you.

#60 skinpeeler

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

So I've got my sidewinder plugged in, bought my founders card n yet i wait.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users