So you want to know about Beta? *Info* Ask about it here

64 replies to this topic

#21 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostVerminaard, on 03 October 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

Yes I know it's caustic valley, but to simplify it for someone who hasn't played, I figured Desert sums up what it is. No it's not technically a desert, but i find it fits the best for those who have never walked it. Yes it's technically an arid/volcano. But there is no lava, and the volcano is simply making heat. I'll add in a side note for you however.

To be more clear, Caustic Valley is a "hot map"- that is, the ambient heat level is enough that a 'Mech constantly has an exceptional burden on it's heat sinks above and beyond the baseline. Frozen City is the opposite, while River City and Forest Colony are "heat neutral".

In addition, heat levels vary with terrain. Walk into a lake, and if you have leg-mounted heat sinks, your 'Mech will cool better- the deeper the water on you, the more it helps. Stop on top of a vent spewing hot gases and smoke on Caustic, and you'll heat up even more than the map normally causes- some places can leave an overheating 'Mech cooling so slowly that a shutdown can leave you frozen in place for a small eternity (on the other hand, there's shallow lakes and even deeper pools that'll help mitigate the heat load Caustic puts on every 'Mech).

#22 Kunae

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostVerminaard, on 03 October 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

Yes I know it's caustic valley, but to simplify it for someone who hasn't played, I figured Desert sums up what it is. No it's not technically a desert, but i find it fits the best for those who have never walked it. Yes it's technically an arid/volcano. But there is no lava, and the volcano is simply making heat. I'll add in a side note for you however.

You haven't corrected the "Modes" yet. "Assault" not "Deathmatch".

Edited by Kunae, 03 October 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#23 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostVerminaard, on 03 October 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

Money Costs
- Bigger they are, more it costs.
- Yes, you need to fix your mech with C-bills
- The founder's pack Ingame money will get you about 3-6 mechs, depending on the mechs.
- yes, you buy items you use to customize, customizing isn't free! (neither is ammo!)

Hey, I can buy 4 Atlai with my founder's Credits! It's really more like 4-8 mechs depending on how many Atlai you want.

#24 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

View Postbert bargo, on 03 October 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

Here's a question: Are we allowed to upload video footage of the beta yet? Does anyone know?

Apparently we can. Phil and Daeron from the No Guts, No Galaxy podcast have uploaded a "Jenner tutorial" here:

Edited by DirePhoenix, 03 October 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#25 Shismar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

Beta or not, I find the game to be much fun because they got the core game right. I love that balance of action and strategy MWO has.

So I am looking forward to many improvements and the smell of burning mechs!

#26 Harrison Kelly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

I'm sure this'll be clearer once all the associated wikis and such get updated, but are the modules in yet?

What's the range on a Large/Medium Pulse?

#27 Xeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

As a beta tester I will give my opinion. What we have seen to date is a REALLY good demo product. It is a shell of a game though with limited game modes, small maps and of course bugs (its beta).

There is certainly potential for what they have now to grow into a VERY good Mechwarrior game but we are FAR from that point. What is here works though. May need some tweaking here and there for balance but it is generally good stuff.

If I were to rate this game as it is right now I would give it a 4 or 5 out of 10. If they make money on it I think it can become a very nice MW game. If they release this DEMO as is, there is risk they wont make money and it will die. We shall just have to see.

I am hoping the great core demo we have now and fan $$$ support it will indeed grow.

Edited by Xeven, 03 October 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#28 SaintGeorge

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'd say that was a good assessment.

IIRC there's still no joystick support or very little - and the maps are a fraction of what we saw in MW4.

No tutorial makes it hard/impossible to welcome new players and screeching for them to read the forum stickies or go to 3rd party Youtube vids is just sloppy.

I'm not impressed and won't be paying for this until it gets a whole lot better - maybe next summer it'll be what I'm interested in. But that's just my take and everyone will have their own view.

Edited by SaintGeorge, 03 October 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#29 Damiler

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTunja, Colombia

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

we are FAAAAAR from release, even from open beta (5-6 months for me) so when its going to be officially released the game will be a very great MW, as this is a beta is a fraction of what is the game going to be. i can rate the game 8/10 for being on beta, but if this would be the official version i would rate it 4/10.

#30 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

All new players who get access do really need to visit the special Beta Forums section on Guides, especially the General Guides. It's the only real soruce of instructional informatrion since there is no "game manual" and the Tutorial is not yet complete. The list of in-game controls is, indeed, in the in-game menu, but many people don't even bother to open the Options menu before playing.

They are making a Tutorial, it'll be there eventually. Until then, visit the Beta Guides if you find yourself will access to the Beta in the near future.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 03 October 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#31 Brynstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

That view looks different than when I am in my Jenner... I can see more of the cockpit in the above video...sup with that?

No, I am not zoomed in my Jenner! ;)

#32 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

View Postwanderer, on 03 October 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

To be more clear, Caustic Valley is a "hot map"- that is, the ambient heat level is enough that a 'Mech constantly has an exceptional burden on it's heat sinks above and beyond the baseline. Frozen City is the opposite, while River City and Forest Colony are "heat neutral".
That being said, River City and Forest Colony do have "benefitial areas" - the rivers. Environment affects the 'mech not only based on map type alone, but where on a map he stands. For example, walking through the river in Forest Colony grants faster heat dissipation - at least for the heatsinks situated in a component in contact with the water. It is for this reason that I have used the remaining slots in my Jenner's legs (after hips and actuators) for most of my heatsinks rather than just placing them randomly.

Also, not all areas in Caustic Valley are equally hot. The outlying regions are almost neutral, but the closer you get to the center crater, the more dangerous it gets.

Personally, I thought these small details are an excellent example of how "simulationist" MWO is, and how much the developers attempt to convey a feeling of realism, and the things unique to the Battletech franchise. ;)

#33 Brynstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Have a link to a bit more info on that, Thontor? Thanks!

#34 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Don't get too attached to that FoV setting, we've reported a couple exploits related to it already.

#35 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

I wanted to come answer questions, but no one seems to be asking any. I guess that is what happens when such a large percentage of the posters are in the beta already. :D

#36 Harrison Kelly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

I just didn't want to bother you guys! Thanks for the weapons table. I've heard different numbers on how long it takes to unlock Mech variants, anywhere from 10-20 games to 50-100. Does that seem accurate?

What's the benefit of having multiple variants of the same Mech? Are they equipped with different hardpoints, e.g. ballistic hardpoints for a Gaussapult vs the standard fire support Cat?

Does the Gauss really sound that wimpy?

#37 Kell Draygo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 884 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

The Guass is one of the strongest weapons in the game right now because of how heat is being handled. The game is using Table Top heat rules, basically with the assumption that one round is 10 seconds. However, weapon fire rate is not one shot per round, so heat is a major issue for a lot of hard hitting weapons. The Gauss generates very little heat for it's damage, it also has good range and no minimum range like some weapons do.

Many say that the twin Guass Rifle Catapult reigns supreme right now.

As for how long it takes to grind out a Mech, it's hard to tell since Matchmaking isn't implemented. Right now if you're in a pre-made, you will win 99% of your games because it's a pugstomp with a placeholder matchmaking system. So you will gain C-Bills rather fast, plus you do not get one free Mech in beta, so you have to grind the Trial Mechs.

When the game goes live, people are suppose to get one non-trial Mech if they're not a founder.

#38 Harrison Kelly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostKell Draygo, on 03 October 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

The Guass is one of the strongest weapons in the game right now because of how heat is being handled. The game is using Table Top heat rules, basically with the assumption that one round is 10 seconds. However, weapon fire rate is not one shot per round, so heat is a major issue for a lot of hard hitting weapons. The Gauss generates very little heat for it's damage, it also has good range and no minimum range like some weapons do.

Many say that the twin Guass Rifle Catapult reigns supreme right now.

Right, sure, I wasn't trying to diss the strength of the Gauss damage/values. I was referring more to its audio sound. From what videos I've seen, it's . . . lackluster compared to the MW4 or MC Gauss, which had a very distinctive sound when fired.

#39 INKRO

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Does the Gauss really sound that wimpy?

The Gauss is usually too busy being the best weapon in the game for people to notice.

#40 Xe1a

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Can I already play in beta? If yes, where i can find download link?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users