53 replies to this topic

#1 karish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 184 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

With the diff types of Recon/scouting strats people have what are you looking for in a Recon mech.

I want something that is fast (above 115 KM/H) jump jets would be nice for getting into those hard to reach hidy holes to reach out and play sniper with. a low profile/small profile even better. not using any of the unseen mechs (and please clanners need not apply)

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Spector is fast, has jump jets, a LL to reach out and say hello but is 35 tons

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hussar is very fast, a single LL, no jump jets and has a low profile at 30 tons

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mongoose is Fast, no ammo to worry about, and no jump jets at 25 tons

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Locust is fast, very small, no jump jets, and you can do away with the ammo, 20 tons

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

View Postkarish, on 18 March 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

I want something that is fast (above 115 KM/H) jump jets would be nice for getting into those hard to reach hidy holes to reach out and play sniper with. a low profile/small profile even better.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Locust is fast, very small, no jump jets, and you can do away with the ammo, 20 tons

Two quick facts:
1st: Sniping with a mech designed solely around speed and recon is not viable. ;)

2nd: Locust is unseen. :)

#3 karish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 184 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostAdridos, on 18 March 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

Two quick facts:
1st: Sniping with a mech designed solely around speed and recon is not viable. ;)

2nd: Locust is unseen. :)

you are thinking about old MW game sniping not the true sniper with a long ranged weapon recon sniper ///and the locust has been reseen it is not a harmony gold mech read Locust - :Reseen as of Record Sheets: Operation Klondike

a true sniper is a light fast /moblie attack unit that can get into a hiding spot fast and unseen take a few shots and move like hell to its next hiding spot while passing along recon data

Edited by karish, 18 March 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#4 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

I'd love to see the Raven, of course. If I'm going to scout, I might as well do it properly. That is, with tons and tons of sensors, jammers, and targeting equipment.

#5 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

stealth is a priority. Anything else is a pile of burning mech parts. I would rather be slow and stealthy than fast and lighting up the radar.

Kensai the wandering warrior

#6 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

View Postkarish, on 18 March 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

you are thinking about old MW game sniping not the true sniper with a long ranged weapon recon sniper ///and the locust has been reseen it is not a harmony gold mech read Locust - :Reseen as of Record Sheets: Operation Klondike

Reseen versions are ugly and do not fit along other mechs.
We are pretty sceptical about their implementation (my Shadow Hawk inclouded ;) ) and devs do not talk about them. Also, when we had to vote for favorite mechs, no unseens/reseens were inclouded.

Edited by Adridos, 18 March 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#7 CobaltRaptor

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSomewhere other than you expect

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

View PostOrzorn, on 18 March 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

I'd love to see the Raven, of course. If I'm going to scout, I might as well do it properly. That is, with tons and tons of sensors, jammers, and targeting equipment.

This, I love the raven it's a formiddable scout design, even if it is expensive as all hell. A good raven pilot can ruin the other team's week.

#8 palebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 352 posts
  • Location750 km East of Vancouver but only 10km from Russ' Mom's house

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Clearly, the Raven is a very good choice here, but it all depends on how the mech and pilot skills work. Early in the game when people aren't yet skilled out, there are going to be plenty of Jenners doing the heavy lifting in the recon department, while their pilots skill-up.

#9 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Owens. Yeah, I know it isn't out for a few years, but I could get the same result in the mech-lab with a Jenner & a pile of lostech. Fast, maxed armour, C3 slave, Beagle probe, ECM, maybe an anti-missile system or 2 and a few medium or medium pulse lasers for knifing people in the back. ;)

#10 Storm McIntyre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

I've always been a fan of the Valkyrie myself. Good speed, long range harrassment power, decent armor. Yes, I know. Its one of the Unseen/Reseen/Wonder if it ever will be seen again groups of Mechs, but hey, I like what I like. ;)

#11 NightFallsOnU

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationPlanet Robinson

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

I think with its LL, (more so if traded for an ERLL) would make a sniper out of a Spector if it has a good fast acting pilot
in it

#12 NightFallsOnU

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

I would take a Spector out and pull some recon... But on 2nd thought I would strip it down and try to plug a PPC in to get some good damage

#13 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Locust pops into mind of course. Also the Flea (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Flea )

Though those are basically the same thing. ;)

The Firefly is another interesting design and has the jump jets you were asking for. (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Firefly)

Personally I want the old school Locust back but I know I probably won't get it. :)

#14 cinco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

jump jets make for a perfect clay pigeon. the real recon mechs are rarely seen as they hide behind terrain.

#15 NightFallsOnU

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

And to do some really great recon give us a Wasp L.A.M

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wasp_LAM

#16 Fachxphyre

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

it's all in the electronics. give me ECM, BAP and a NARC beacon. i'll sneak in, light up a choice target for fire support, and get myself out of dodge to do it again.

#17 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostFachxphyre, on 18 March 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

it's all in the electronics. give me ECM, BAP and a NARC beacon. i'll sneak in, light up a choice target for fire support, and get myself out of dodge to do it again.

Sure, when we get all the fancy fun stuff. What are you going to do until then? I wonder how odd it'll be for players who didn't grow up with the 3025 era Battletech to play without the fun extras? ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm right there with you WHEN we get them. They're just not around yet. :)

#18 GDL Irishwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

No Clan 'Mechs, is fine, but you didn't say no post-invasion Inner Sphere designs ;). So, I'm free to suggest the Red Shift as a halfway decent recon 'Mech. Top speed of 151 KPH, 4 tons of Ferro Fibrous armor, ECM and TAG for equipment, and a pair of Medium Pulse lasers for protection

Edited by GDL Irishwarrior, 18 March 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#19 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Until I unlock a warehouse full of high-tech goodies, I doubt that I'll be doing much scouting at all. I might have a Jenner-7F in my dropship, but that's a 35-ton assault mech. In Battletech I can kill heavies 1-on-1 with it, so I might see if it's doable in MW-O. But I'd hardly call it "scouting" ;)

#20 Mason Ventris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

I can wait to go 100+kph and peck an atlas to death.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users