Battletech TT - Possible Return?

95 replies to this topic

#21 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

View PostTastian, on 19 October 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

The biggest problem with speed is getting people to act quickly. Every person I've ever played with treats it like chess. They want to examine every move and test out every possible range for optimal heat and weapon usage. Takes forever.

lol, very true. And the larger the group the harder it is to get anything done. We only have two of us in our group but four, to me, is the best number. But with two we can usually do company on company (12v12) battles in 6-8 hours or so.

I started selling off my minis a few years ago, I am down to about 1000 now.

#22 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

We've seriously employed a timer. You have 1 minute to decide where to move otherwise you are stuck where you are. Its like playing MWO, if you had infinite time to precalculate every move, it wouldn't be realistic - you often make bad choices. For initiative, we use a stack of cards. At the beginning of each turn, we shuffle them then start pulling the top card. The order of the cards determine the order the mech's move.

#23 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:06 AM

Yea players taking forever is redic. Ive already got my moves planned out 2-3 turns in advance with a rough idea where I want to be. From there I watch the other players move and act and by the time my turn comes up I just drop my mechs where they need to be and call it a done deal.

I think unit size is the main factor. 1 mech each and everything flows quickly. Ive never played in a game of more than 4 players with a lance each. And only a few times did a 1v1 with a company each.

I would suggest not selling what you have. Some of the unseen go for great cash but things like miniatures never net enough cash to replace the regret you have later on. Hell they werent even mine and I regret my father selling his regiment. And what did he buy? like 60 dark age mini's that arent worth ****.

I just want to get to the painting. Alot of TT players are gamers first and hobbyists 2nd. I however really enjoy the painting.

#24 Jackalhit

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

I ordered the Battletech 25th Anniversary just last week after shopping around a bit for it. Supposed to arrive on Wednesday and I don't care if none of my friends want to play, I'll play two sides against each other on my own lol. I blame MWO. Can't wait to get into painting them either, been looking up tutorials on youtube, but there's very little. I think it's a great idea to record some tutorials on gameplay and painting. I would absolutely subscribe to a channel like that.

#25 Kahali

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostPropnut, on 19 October 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

lol, very true. And the larger the group the harder it is to get anything done. We only have two of us in our group but four, to me, is the best number. But with two we can usually do company on company (12v12) battles in 6-8 hours or so.

I started selling off my minis a few years ago, I am down to about 1000 now.

What you got for sale?

#26 uebersoldat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

View PostJackalhit, on 28 October 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

I ordered the Battletech 25th Anniversary just last week after shopping around a bit for it. Supposed to arrive on Wednesday and I don't care if none of my friends want to play, I'll play two sides against each other on my own lol. I blame MWO. Can't wait to get into painting them either, been looking up tutorials on youtube, but there's very little. I think it's a great idea to record some tutorials on gameplay and painting. I would absolutely subscribe to a channel like that.

HAHAH I've done that so many times. It's an awesome set man, I think you'll really like it. Take the time to read the quick-start rules and expand on those. The quick-start rules will allow you to play with just about anyone, matches are quick and rules very very easy to follow :o

#27 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

I lost my original BT sets (Battletech, Citytech, Aerotech, Battlespace, Succession Wars and every TR from 3025 until 3055 as well as a bunch of BattleTechnology Magazines) from the 80s during a move in the last decade, so I recently bought the 25th Anniversary box set. Absolutely worth it. Sure, the plastic miniatures (apart from the two clanmechs made of higher quality plastic) aren't great sculpts, but they _are_ recognizable (and I actually like the way the Atlas is tall and lanky rather than a square block). I've gotten my regular TT gaming group to play a few games again, and I'll soon be running a Mechwarrior RPG campaign in the 3020s for them. MWO was definitely a big part of lighting the fire under me again.

#28 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostJackalhit, on 28 October 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

Yea im picking up my box next weekend. Well perhaps I'll give a shot at the whole youtube guide thing. I used to do a commentary channel for the Total War Series because during Shogun 2 I was ranked stupid high on the leader board. At the time however my upload speed was crap so I couldnt really do the youtube thing. Now however I think I could load up a video in minutes.

And yea....Battletech painting videos are for the most part not to be found. The only guy I could find was some Helios guy and after watching 6 videos adding up to an hour I thought his smoke Jaguar mechs looked like ****. I think for my box I'll be doing a lance for each of the major houses to start off with. Pick a well known canon unit that represents the house and I'll paint up 4 mechs that I think are representative of that faction. Starting with Kurita i think :(

Stay tuned. I'll post a thread when i get the videos rolling.

#29 sirjackinthebox

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 70 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

I have gotten 4 games stores in my area to start stocking Catalyst Games BattleTech books, informing them of the releas of MWO and a possible spike in Table top sales, they whent with the hunch after looking up the MWO site and have had every book sold as they get em, so yeah my guess is... ITS BACK!!! =oD

#30 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

View Postsirjackinthebox, on 02 November 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

I have gotten 4 games stores in my area to start stocking Catalyst Games BattleTech books, informing them of the releas of MWO and a possible spike in Table top sales, they whent with the hunch after looking up the MWO site and have had every book sold as they get em, so yeah my guess is... ITS BACK!!! =oD

I think its a really natural connection for alot of the people playing MWO. I mean video games and Table Top wargames are on a similar axis of interest. I think what really needs to happen in the next while is a move to modernize the game. Specifically in terms of the miniatures. Maybe not multi part kits per say but their marketing needs to go up a notch. When I search Battletech miniatures even the professional demo pics look like hell. You got mechs that are bright blue, neon green, or otherwise done in horrible color schemes. The miniatures have to catch the attention before the depth of the game itself can hold them.

#31 Sarah Dalrymple

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSkye March, Hesperus II

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:16 AM

I've been playing BattleTech since 2000. The gaming group I am in has modified it with rules from the MechWarrior RPG books. Every person plays a 'Warrior, we form a unit, and the DM lets us get into all sorts of trouble and handles the enemy team. We do as much role-playing as we do battles, and it is lots of fun. The oldest members of the group have been playing since Battledroid days!

#32 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

View PostSarah Dalrymple, on 03 November 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

I've been playing BattleTech since 2000. The gaming group I am in has modified it with rules from the MechWarrior RPG books. Every person plays a 'Warrior, we form a unit, and the DM lets us get into all sorts of trouble and handles the enemy team. We do as much role-playing as we do battles, and it is lots of fun. The oldest members of the group have been playing since Battledroid days!

interesting idea. creates a co op pve experience. I never actually played with the Mechwarrior RPG elements but my father did a campaign with his friends once when i was super young and he said it was complicated but added to the overall game.

#33 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Propnut that table is epic!

#34 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thanks, the games we play are much more fun because of it.

#35 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostSteelWarrior, on 02 November 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

I think its a really natural connection for alot of the people playing MWO. I mean video games and Table Top wargames are on a similar axis of interest. I think what really needs to happen in the next while is a move to modernize the game. Specifically in terms of the miniatures. Maybe not multi part kits per say but their marketing needs to go up a notch. When I search Battletech miniatures even the professional demo pics look like hell. You got mechs that are bright blue, neon green, or otherwise done in horrible color schemes. The miniatures have to catch the attention before the depth of the game itself can hold them.
Miniatures are an optional extra for battletech, you can play with a penny that has an arrow drawn on, or a roughly triangular scrap of paper.
That said: canon paint schemes. Lots of units do weirdass paradeground schemes, which people tend to paint over sensible camo. How many white Comguard units have you seen?

#36 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

Technically optional but definitely desirable. Maybe to a complete outsider it wouldnt matter what the figure was but to anyone whos a MW or BT fan I think they would want some substance.

I think alot of unit colors are fine, not such a big fan of designs like the Davion Heavy Guards where its basically the US flag across the side of the mech. But 1 or 2 primary colors and some accent is acceptable. Also I for one dont believe in painting mechs "jungle camo", with the possible exception of a no name milita unit. Mainly because in Mech on Mech warfare visual sensors are usually used the least. Youd detect a mech heat signature or pick it up on magscan long time before you would actually see it. Plus I view mechwarriors as Knights of the Battletech world, bearing their colors with pride as they march into battle.

#37 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

But it's the French flag....?

I'm going to stick with that, because otherwise getting into the wrongness is going to take far too long and more effort than I care to exert today.

#38 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostNekki Basara, on 05 November 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

But it's the French flag....?

I'm going to stick with that, because otherwise getting into the wrongness is going to take far too long and more effort than I care to exert today.

i meant it shares the same colors as the US flag. take a deep breath lol. I know its hard being a goon. :)

#39 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Lots of flags share the same three colours. It is, however, literally the French flag.

#40 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Which makes sense since, if I'm not much mistaken (which I certainly could be), the Davion family originally hails from France.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users