95 replies to this topic

#41 Draxes Darkstrider

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts
  • LocationEdge of Chaos

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

View PostSteelWarrior, on 03 November 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

interesting idea. creates a co op pve experience. I never actually played with the Mechwarrior RPG elements but my father did a campaign with his friends once when i was super young and he said it was complicated but added to the overall game.

We used to run our own rpg version of it. We had a DM or what we called a House Contract Broker. He'd assign the missions to us, run the enemy units we came across (sometimes they were our allies turned enemies depending on what house we were working for), and basiclly just let us run the story and rp our mechanized butts off. It was a lot of fun.

#42 Ricktor Black

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Holy crap! That table setup is AMAZING! Nice job!

#43 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Thank you

#44 bloodybones jones

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

i started playing TT because of MWO i dont see why others wouldnt

#45 DanTheMayTagMan

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

been playing since I was 5. Have 75 fully painted die cast mini's. With all of the manuals and accompaning books. Just cant get enough of it. I gave it a rough estimate and ive probably spent about 4000 dollars on everything to the minis, books, readouts, and custom landscape ive made.

#46 Mekslayer

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostPropnut, on 12 October 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

Still playing, weekly winter games.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Propnut, your game table Rockx.

#47 Mekslayer

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostTastian, on 19 October 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

We've seriously employed a timer. You have 1 minute to decide where to move otherwise you are stuck where you are. Its like playing MWO, if you had infinite time to precalculate every move, it wouldn't be realistic - you often make bad choices. For initiative, we use a stack of cards. At the beginning of each turn, we shuffle them then start pulling the top card. The order of the cards determine the order the mech's move.

Yeah we tried using a timer (1 min hour glass) for TT and it did work, more or less.... really wish there was an option for timers in large Megamek games where there are multiple players, then ppl would have to pay attention.

Edited by Mekslayer, 05 December 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#48 Willem B Cameron

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

3025! My favorite era in TT. All battles were effectively knife fights and physical attacks happened almost every turn!

#49 OldManMonza

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

TT making a comeback? Well thanks to MWO in the past three weeks I have bought the following, Battletech Introductory Set, Total Warfare, TechManual and TR:3085. These represent the first time I've bought any Battletech TT materials since I last bought CityTech in 1988. MWO is feeding my want to play the TT and the TT makes me want to play more MWO. Vicious Cycle ;). I really had forgotten how much fun the TT could be. Now if they would only offer plastic Minis the same quality as the Loki and Thor for other Mechs I would be a very happy camper...

#50 Tatchi

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

View Postuebersoldat, on 12 October 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

Man I've been playing almost every night with my kids (no adults in the area that play). I have a 6 year old boy and a 9 year old girl and they love it!

I know what you are thinking! Battletech can't be played by 6 year olds!!!!! But it can!

With the 25th Anniversary Introductory Box Set it comes with a very very basic super-introductory set of mini-rules along with the REGULAR introductory ruleset where a complete new player can start action in minutes. They even have simplified record sheets. Basically no heat, piloting skill, or even internal structure (the quick-start mini record sheets modify the outer armor up a bit to make up for this).

Just simple movement mechanics, shooting and cluster hits etc. Teaches the kids math too! I love it, they are learning something and I am getting blown up by them and having a lot of fun. The boy runs his Hunchback pretty much all the time, and the daughter likes the Cicada because it's fast. They always team up on my poor Hermes and cackle like crazies when they blow an arm off or make a headshot. (gee that sounds rather bad)

You dads out there, don't be afraid of picking this game up. The 25th Ann. Box Set is fantastic, thick cardboard maps, 2 of the best looking plastic mini's I've ever seen (Loki and Thor) and a slew of regular plastic mini's (better than the flat cutouts used in previous box sets by far). Not to mention all the reading materials :)

My son especially will see me pilot the Hunchie in MWO and will be super excited to play the next round of TT. With the quick-start rules, matches are very quick and really fun. They are even doing Battletech art in their spare time. Brings a tear to me eye it does.

That convinced me enough to order the anniversary box. I've never played it myself, looking forward to it and teaching the kids how to game away from a screen.

#51 Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

View PostTatchi, on 12 December 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

That convinced me enough to order the anniversary box. I've never played it myself, looking forward to it and teaching the kids how to game away from a screen.

MegaMek is a great way to learn the rules though, as you can basically teach them to yourself through trial and error.

Edited by Kobold, 12 December 2012 - 10:44 PM.

#52 Attackmack

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Of course PropNut has a gamingtable like that, to go along with his enclosed superior mechpit...

I swear to all, jealosy is an ugly thing but i cant help it...

#53 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Come on over for a game or two Mack, in either then Mechpit or on TT ;)

#54 Xetherius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Periphery...

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

I'm in my 20s and I've never played the TT, but I've been engrossed with Battletech since I first played MechWarrior as a kid. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for giant stompy war machines, and I've spent many hours reading the books and (still) playing the old games. I've thought about getting into TT, but never really knew anyone who played or where to get started.

Recently my friend decided to get into Warhammer 40k. He's a bit of a slacker, in the fact that I assembled ALL of his minis. He's played maybe one game, and has yet to paint any of them (he's probably hoping I'll do it :P), but he insists that I should get some and try.

I’ve been here since mid-closed beta (pre founders jazz), and while I've not been the most vocal member of the community, I've spent many hours lurking around these parts. Honestly MWO's brought back a lot of fond memories, it's making me wish I play a TT game of some sort, and my friends insistence has finally got me to start looking around. I now know all about where to get figures, rule books, etc. for both 40k and Btech and honestly, I'm torn. On one hand I have a friend who (maybe) plays the one and has a large following and lots of fluff. It also seems a heck of a lot more expensive. On the other hand, I have my love of giant stompy robots, a TT game that has a (seemingly) smaller (but more die hard) fan base, and metal figures that seem reasonably priced.

I think I know what answer I'll get, but should I go Btech, or 40k? I've been to so many forums and have heard many good things about both, but if anybody's got experience in both I'd really enjoy a comparison.
(Note: this won't be the deciding factor, but it'll help me think a bit more and maybe reach a decision)

tl;dr - I'm thinking about getting into a TT game. Btech, or 40k? Why?

P.S. Any players in southern Ontario, Canada?

#55 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I have never stopped playing, though it is somewhat hard to find players in my area.

I have spent ENTIRELY too much money on this hobby to ever give it up.

It also holds that even now, over two decades later, I still love the game.

At current, I have a full 5-Cluster Frontline Wolf Clan Galaxy for clan play to choose from, and a fully supported FedCom RCT. I have only fielded the galaxy once in it's entirety, for a week long game over a particularly lazy vacation. Everything is fully painted. Beyond those I've still got better than two hundred minis left when i have free time. I found a gamestore going out of business, got a great deal for hundreds of minis.

Is it overkill, yeah definitely, would I sell any of it, not likely. Will I stop buying, no.

#56 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

View Postshameless, on 07 January 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

I found a gamestore going out of business, got a great deal for hundreds of minis.

It feels good, yet sad, when a store closes.
On one hand another outlet to many games is now gone forever, but then again I can finally get that one book for 40% off!

#57 KeeperVS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

View PostXetherius, on 07 January 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

tl;dr - I'm thinking about getting into a TT game. Btech, or 40k? Why?

Well it is really just going to come down to your own personal choice. As a former 40k player, I will tell you that 40k is only becoming more and more expensive. I'm sorry, but I'm a business professional who has looked into the financial aspects, there is NO reason a box of 20 plastic soldiers should cost $40 (or more!). The models are fantastic, and I have never had a problem with them. 40k fluff is amazing and I find it really evocative, but it is very grim and dark, which turns many people off. The community is huge and every store I've ever been to has tons of 40k players.

But Battletech will do a lot less damage to your wallet. I think the fluff is great, although I do feel it needs a little revamp so it's the future of 2013 not the future of the 80s or whatever. The community is smaller and you'll have to build up a group most likely, unless you are lucky and find an existing group. The models. Ugh. I'm sorry but the models just don't look that great to me, and I've said elsewhere that I'd love MWO revamps from Ironwind Metals.

In the end only you can make the choice, but I chose Battletech because of MWO. In fact I'm trying to sell a Blood Angels Space Marines army I still have.

Hope my rambling helps!

Edited by KeeperVS, 07 January 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#58 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Its not that 40k models are expensive per say, its the fact you need to field 60-100 miniatures to play a basic game. So that 40 dollar vox of soldiers is only 1/20th of your force. I mean 5 assualt marines cost me 50 bucks, 5 mechs would cost me the same, difference is a typical game is only a lance big. That being said ive had 40k minis a year nw and havent played the game yet because of all the work left to do

#59 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

GW models range in price from "not bad" to "you what?". Just last week I noticed that the Eagle Frigate comes in a pack of two for £5. No brainer pricewise, Battletech is just plain cheaper.

In terms of gameplay, there are things to be said for both. 40k suffers from infinite codex creep, resulting in armies regularly being rendered irrelevant by the latest shiney thing and massive, MASSIVE re-investment. The local meta will dictate how relevant that is.

My advice is to get a Battletech starterbox, and if you don't like it then it's just 60 bux (or whatever) down the drain, not the hundreds that 40k will cost you to try properly. Worst comes to worst you paid N monies for 24 decent and 2 awesome minis, which IIRC worked out at around €2.30 per mech when I got my box.

#60 Xetherius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Periphery...

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I did look at the BT Starter box, one was on sale for about 40 bucks, I almost bought it then and there. (Might have to now...) Overall I think I'll probably go BTech after I get over my usual indecisiveness. Then again, I could just buy a chess set, paint them up, and use them for proxies in 40k.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users