starting off with absolutly nothing is a joke

35 replies to this topic

#21 D3ZZ

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

sry i was wrong, can be deleted.

Edited by D3ZZ, 17 October 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#22 nostra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

While I don't think one should be complaining about the beginning game experience just yet, I DO think that a random light 'mech for free should be assigned to each player. As the game stands now, it pretty much is just random match ups between gamers. But if it were to align more with the Classic Battletech canon, then it would make sense for each house to have a representative light 'mech that new pilots are assigned to, or at least just a random light 'mech. Any Battletech or Mechwarrior novel has its young hero assigned to a new unit, usually being assigned to a battlemech that the company or lance has available.

#23 Abagnatius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech's Cockpit aiming at you...

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

View Postnostra, on 18 October 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

While I don't think one should be complaining about the beginning game experience just yet, I DO think that a random light 'mech for free should be assigned to each player. As the game stands now, it pretty much is just random match ups between gamers. But if it were to align more with the Classic Battletech canon, then it would make sense for each house to have a representative light 'mech that new pilots are assigned to, or at least just a random light 'mech. Any Battletech or Mechwarrior novel has its young hero assigned to a new unit, usually being assigned to a battlemech that the company or lance has available.

I almost fully agree. But I do not think that random would be a good choice. For example, I cannot seem to make heads or tails of the Jenner, but both Raven and Commando function fine with me piloting them.
I guess the best solution would be to give a new player 1.8 million credits or so - to go buy whatever they want and can afford, and customize the Mech a little.

Gridian

#24 Decep-Qi-Kons

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostCCC Dober, on 13 October 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

'Played correctly' and 'new players' ... do I need to go on?

Listen, do you want an "easy mode" for new players? Should they get Nerf™ mechs that never die? Mech warrior isn't easy and heat being a critical element of the game should be no exception. The first thing ANYONE needs to learn about MW is you have to manage heat. Otherwise it would be all lasers all the time.

#25 Cloak

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

You know....what are they exactly planning to do when they release this game? I agree with the trail mechs being a insault, they are trash. They should add the option if you like to try the trail mechs instead of forcefully putting it on players and new ones at that. I'm sure everyone would rather build there own mech. Maybe they should, before open beta let us closed beta testers get a taste of what it would be like to start from scrath and let us build our own mechs? We would of course have to all band together and let the dev's know.

#26 ElCadaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 163 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

Gen Y - what a bunch of whingers. Gimme it now!!! Free Atlas NOW.

All we had to play with was hoop and a stick! And we had to save our pennies for a better hoop ( come to think of it, the stick was free)

I get kills with trial mechs, probably because I learnt in closed beta that MWO is not OMG RAWR ROLF STOMP in the mech of your choosing, even if it is a maxed build. They all have weaknesses, and rambo's die quickly.

#27 fenderbender

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

View PostKillkie, on 18 October 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

Listen, do you want an "easy mode" for new players? Should they get Nerf™ mechs that never die? Mech warrior isn't easy and heat being a critical element of the game should be no exception. The first thing ANYONE needs to learn about MW is you have to manage heat. Otherwise it would be all lasers all the time.

And you completetly missed the point (I wonder why especially people with a banner under their avatar keep doing that...). This issue is not about giving them a mech that does not require heat management, but giving new players mechs which are a bit more forgiving on the heat side of things and have defined roles.
Overheating the trial mechs is super easy and new players might simply be frustrated if they overheat after two shots. And founders telling them "learn to play!" is surely not what is goint to keep this game going.
Especially with the game currently teaching them exactly nothing the starters experience is plain horrible. And I really don't know when and if this is going to change. It's not like the game has a good record on reaching set milestones in time.

Edited by fenderbender, 06 November 2012 - 02:56 AM.

#28 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:24 AM

Don't bother fender.
There are people that lack the mental capacity or will to assume/experience the position of new guys.
The same guys always yell, it's fine, it's beta, devs gonna sort it out, have faith yada yada.

But when you call them out on milestones and what has been done to improve this game, they suddenly ask you to be very forgiving. Game is still fun, right? Where is that forgiveness when it comes to new guys?

Hypocrites, the whole bunch of them. They only serve as bad examples and PGI would do very well to keep these lickspittles as far away from the development process as possible.

#29 Sevaradan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

Seriously, the new player experience isn't that bad, it takes maybe a day to get into a real light or medium mech. Trial mechs should suck, they're FREE they shouldn't be the equivalent of the real mechs ppl have to grind for otherwise whats the point of getting your own mech. I started playing the 1st day of OB, non founders and haven't invested any $ in the game yet. I don't see wtf all the crying is about re the trial mechs/new player experience.

Edited by Sevaradan, 06 November 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#30 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

In a day I could have several ch

View PostSevaradan, on 06 November 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

Seriously, the new player experience isn't that bad, it takes maybe a day to get into a real light or medium mech. Trial mechs should suck, they're FREE they shouldn't be the equivalent of the real mechs ppl have to grind for otherwise whats the point of getting your own mech.

In a day I could have several Champions in LoL and be well on my way up the XP tree. In WoT I could easily get to Tier 4 in a day. The beginning player experience in this game is horridly slow.

#31 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

I think new players should start with an Urbanmech.

#32 Willie Sauerland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri, USA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

What needs fixed is a match maker which puts new-user trial mechs against other new-user trial mechs. The mechs themselves aren't horrible but the user experience is horrible because of the current broken match-making system.

Improve the match-maker and the game experience for all levels of user will improve.

#33 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 13 October 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

The experience for new players shouldn't be terrible once we are ready for open beta, a tutorial and other aspects will be added over time (Including, apparently, a rotating selection of trial mechs.) For us beta testers its a little harsh, we get the butt ugly of everything and have our stuff erased now and then (which will most likely happen at least one last time when open beta occurs as premium time will go into effect then as well) but for people who haven't been able to play in the closed beta it will be a breeze at least up to the point of affording some of the cheaper mechs. (its unlikely the novelty of pew pewing with various trial mechs will have worn off before you get enough money, even with the new grind.)

Guess they showed you.

#34 Xeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostEury, on 12 October 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

ok so i played in the beta testing and what not it was a good game but now starting off with nothing and grinding using trial mechs is a insult those mechs are worthless and have the worst builds i have ever seen anyone in a founders or that actually took the 4 weeks to grind up the money for something that is has potential will just blow you out of the water getting 30k credits because the trial mech wont do enough damage to get you decent money......

game was good but starting off with absolutely nothing is a waste of time

You can get EVERYTHING all equipment, mechs etc.. right away (except exp) if you spend a few bucks paying the people who go to work everyday making this game for their time. These guys went to school to learn how to make games and now come to work to get paid for their efforts. You can either gringd away for free (for the life of me I have no idea why anyone would want to do this) or pay the guys for making the game and get fast access to all the goodies.

It's like going to Mcdonals and ordering water and then griping that you did not get a Coke, Fries and Big Mac for nothing. At least here you can spend some time playing and get a free coke, fry and Big Mac.

PGI is a non charity organization.

View PostThomasMarik, on 06 November 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

I think new players should start with an Urbanmech.

I think they should get an infantry suit and a man held flamer.

Edited by Xeven, 06 November 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#35 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

View Post21Gunner, on 16 October 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Having to buy your "Real" Starting Mech with MC-bills won't get you players and you certainly can take the F2P tagged off your game.
My garage is empty after Closed Beta and I ain't buying in, games been uninstalled.
Surely you could of made some basic no frills mechs available for credits earned not MC-Bills.

What an ignorant post.....

#36 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

The match making system needs work. No matter what I do during a match most of the time I will lose because of my nooby lancemates. The need to put trials against trials.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users