The battletech universe

45 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you bothered about the BattleTech Universe?? (99 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you bothered about the BattleTech Universe??

1. Yes (40 votes [40.40%])

Percentage of vote: 40.40%

2. No (59 votes [59.60%])

Percentage of vote: 59.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DiGiTGOD

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

Just a quick question, I've been reading a lot of the forums, and I'm starting to feel that I'm the only person who likes the idea of MechWarrior, but is not obsessed with the whole "lore" that sits around it.

What I keep hearing (well reading really) is "Well it's set before the clan wars so I won't get my favourite mech", or "They should keep true to the timeline".... this makes me feel rather inadequate in the game really.

So the question is, does everyone know what these timelines are? do you all read the "Inner Sphere News" updates as if they came from CNN or BBC News? can you all tell me what is happening with each faction? do you all know the political views of each faction and how/when/why they were formed?

Most importantly, can I be sure that not being a person who is bothered about the timelines isn't going to hinder me in anyway when it comes to attempting to play the game long term?

For me, MechWarrior is about killing other Mechs' with big bad a** metal robots with guns... that's it...

P.s. Love the Role Based Warfare angle, good luck to PGI and the devs, you've done well to push me to get a new PC just to play this game!

#2 That Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

thats why there will be different levels of commitment. lone wolf, faction and merc. for you lone wolf seems best. you wont have to worry about anything beyond shooting the bad guys and fixing up your ride.

and i am going to guess you chose the Free Rasalhague Republics' badge because you think it looked cool ;)

And yeah I quite like the lore, and the timeline and that whole shindig

#3 DiGiTGOD

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostThat Guy, on 31 March 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

and i am going to guess you chose the Free Rasalhague Republics' badge because you think it looked cool ;)

damn straight!

#4 Kiff Stevenson

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCanada District, Capella

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I, for one, am a huge fan of the universe itself. And I very much like the idea that this game will be very faithful to the lore. It wouldn't be MechWarrior if it wasn't BattleTech, in my humble opinion.

There is a very large amount of information out there regarding the history of the factions represented in this game, but it shouldn't be too hard for you to take a 'crash course' in the basics, if you wish. I'm absolutely certain that the fans of each 'House' would be more than happy to introduce you to their worlds via these boards.

That said, I don't think there's anything preventing someone from simply enjoying the game for its big stompy robotsTM. However, the more you play over time, the more you might decide that you really like the universe too!

In either case, welcome aboard!

;)

#5 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

A knowledge of Battletech isn't needed.

Personally I do not follow the very detailed lore all that much. I know about a drop in the pond in terms of the lore and I cannot name off important events by heart. But I do understand things like the Clan Invasion, Word Of Blake, Dark Age and such.

Being said, if you are interested in the Lore there are some fantastic overviews of the universe that are actually enjoyable to watch on the internet.

I know my lack of knowledge will never hurt my ability to play the game at any point.

The thing about being set before the Clan Wars and people being hurt that their favorite Clan Mech won't be in the game right away is entirely about technology level when making a simulation game. It would be akin to a Recreation US Civil War RTS including a M1A1 Battletank.

Staying true to the timeline is important if the timeline is going to have any meaning on the game itself. This is because Clan Tech is better in every respect compared to the Inner Sphere counterparts. The differences between the two tech levels is like comparing modern battletanks to those used in WWII.

#6 DiGiTGOD

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Maybe it would be an idea for someone to right a crash course in each of the houses prior to the game going live? something for people to read to give them an idea of where the "houses" stand... I don't want to have to go out and find all the information prior to feeling like I belong in the game, but having an article I can read (maybe a page or some with a couple of paragraphs on each House) would be something I would be willing to do to get myself up to speed.

My concern is that things may be expected to happen in say a year or two, like this "Clan tech" stuff, that people might be planning for, but I'm not aware of. This would put me at a disadvantage I would think...

#7 crazy jake

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

My favorite mech isn't being introduced at the beginnng either, but a timeline can be simplified instead of made complex. Let's say you just discovered a trilogy of movies you think would be cool to watch, you don't want to watch #3 first cause thats where the story ends, then go back and watch 1 and 2.....

At the moment I am more disapointed at the MMO market in general, I really don't care if there is lore or not, or even I have to pilot a 50 ton cheezy-poof, I want to see what the game is all about and I will follow the parts that peak my interest.

Edited by crazy jake, 31 March 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#8 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Considering the game is shaping up to be PvP from the looks of things, I doubt anything will be able to be 'planned for' by the players.

If Clan Tech is put into the game at a later date it would be akin to a new WoW dungeon or DLC Packs for BF3. It's just added to the game itself, there wouldn't be a secret mission that would require knowledge of the BT universe on what to do.

The whole collective desire for Clan Tech is just that people have the line of thought of "I want this battlemech, when this battlemech comes out I'm going to have it with this loadout" because it's their favorite. It's the same thing with fans wanting to play their favorite team in sports games, it doesn't give them an advantage of any sort it justs fufills a desire.

#9 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Well, there's always sarna...

e.g. This article about the clan invasion will become relevant next year:
http://www.sarna.net...i/Clan_Invasion

Edited by Exilyth, 31 March 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#10 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Having a knowledge of these various things is not going to be necessary to play the game. Come and smash all you want, PGI will make more. For those of us who love the lore and the universe it's in, we will continue to enjoy it all, but I've always felt it would be nice if everyone who played a game in a particular universe learned what that universe was. It's sort of like going to visit in another country and having the courtesy to learn something of their language either before you go or close-to-immediately after you arrive. By the end of my first month in Germany, when I was in the Army, I understood enough of the language to get by. Is it necessary for you to learn anything? No. Would it be a good idea if you did? For your own edification, yes.

#11 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

I like the Bt timeline and the restrictions of the universe as it gives structureand "meat" to an otherwise ridulous idea - huge robots whaling the tar out of each other. The Lore gives one a cause to fight for (or against) and makes sense of the combat. It gives one a universe where one can make a difference and have fun doing it - as well as a chance to be the heoic action figure most people can never be in RL. the Lore/Canon humanizes the universe and fills it with interesting people. Lore/Canon storylines make the game more about who we are rather than who can run up the highest kill score or who has the biggest ego.

#12 Trevnor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostKiff_Stevenson, on 31 March 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I, for one, am a huge fan of the universe itself. And I very much like the idea that this game will be very faithful to the lore. It wouldn't be MechWarrior if it wasn't BattleTech, in my humble opinion.

There is a very large amount of information out there regarding the history of the factions represented in this game, but it shouldn't be too hard for you to take a 'crash course' in the basics, if you wish. I'm absolutely certain that the fans of each 'House' would be more than happy to introduce you to their worlds via these boards.

That said, I don't think there's anything preventing someone from simply enjoying the game for its big stompy robotsTM. However, the more you play over time, the more you might decide that you really like the universe too!

In either case, welcome aboard!

;)

This whole thing.

#13 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Love the lore ... working my way though the books ... played the TT game and the roleplay game ... and all the PC games.

So yes ... love the Lore.

#14 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

I play Liao.... is there any way I couldn't like the lore? ^_^

P.S:
Woodstock? When did you join us? :huh:
I thought you were Marik.

Edited by Adridos, 31 March 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#15 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

I love the BT universe, it adds so much more beyond mech combat.

#16 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Without the universe lore there isn't really a battletech or a mechwarrior. A big part of the properties appeal is the rich background that's been developed over 26 years.

While I can appreciate that you just want to shoot stuff, there are plenty of games that allow you to do that, there are even plenty of games that will allow you to do that in giant robots.

The appeal of MW:O is that the Devs are deeply devoted to the lore and want to develop a game that is consistent with that. I also happen to feel that a game based on 3025 tech will actually end up being more fun to play then the post clan invasion upgrades.

#17 That Guy

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Additionally, the lore gives more context to the game, and will make it a richer and more exciting experience. sure the robot suits blowing each other up is cool, but knowing why makes it even better

for example, back in the day when I played MW2, i was too young to read (or care) the mission briefing and situation reports, but going back now, it makes the game so much richer. same with MW3 and 4. and the Mechcommander games. back when i played those, i really didnt have much context to what was going on (who cares about Port Arthur, Tranquil, Cermak, or Carver V? who cares about Kentares IV? what was operation serpent? what was operation bulldog? why are the sword guys fighting the fist guys? why are these jaguar guys so bad?). it wasnt until years later when i really started getting into the board game that the true greatness and depth of the past games started to become clear. (i have been replaying the MC games, and watched the play through of the MW3 campaign on youtube [because i cant get it working on win7])

Its good to know who the major players are. its good to know who the clans are and how they different. is it nessessary? no, but it will make the experience much richer

#18 Morgana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCleaning 10-year old dust out of Cockpit!

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Voted No. Like you DiGiTGOD, I've played Mechwarrior for many years not knowing anything of the lore. But I have to admit, that I am not at all bothered by it, as that is what will make THIS game new and interesting. I've started reading the books, and have to admit, I'm intrigued, and hooked.

#19 That Guy

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

OP, what exacly did you mean with the poll question? (i just noticed there was a poll)

bothered as in invested in, interested, care about?

or bothered as in irritated, annoyed or disturbed?

#20 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

so we have numerous mech art-hate threads
Melee hate threads
and now we have a completely Battletech Universe hate-thread?

Why do people even play these games if they don't like them so much? lol

Corrected.

Edited by Damocles, 31 March 2012 - 02:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users