#301 YakkSlapper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • Locationoregon city

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:45 AM

"
cl_joystick_invert_pitch - When this is set to 1, you will look up when you pull BACK on the joystick. You will look down if you press FORWARD on the joystick. This is how airplanes work and how you should leave it unless you're some sort of demon spawn that does it backwards. If you are demon spawn, then set the value to 0 if you want to look the wrong direction when pressing forward or back on the joystick. "

Well i AM a deamon spawn, as i prefer left hand J-stick for leg control and right hand mouse for tors/cursor.
so IF i have to use right j-stick for it, i do have forward as up ect ect, JUST like a mouse,(because it takes me hell concentration to remember its flightstick vs mouse controll set up) move up, cursor/tors aims up, unlike flight sims where i do it, "like a plane controlls' lol OLD versions of mechwarrior, you used to be able to use 2x joysticks, and i was in HEAVEN!!!!!
but failing that i'll take a slightly more then simple joystick for left hand and mouse in right, for pinpoint aiming i have the sensitivity of mouse VERY sensitive (tho some times just the pressure of clicking will make mouse move and miss my exact spot) *wonders if he will ever find drivers to make his old PANTHER XL work on new OS's*

#302 Ayures

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:30 AM

I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS X and have heard that throttle + mouse is the way to go for this game, but I can't figure out how the hell to bind the throttle. Also, I don't know what a good keybind setup would be. I'm also open to the idea of using the stick in my left hand if that's better. I've already done the user.cfg thing.
Help?

Edited by Ayures, 19 April 2015 - 12:58 AM.

#303 Cart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:43 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

If you are having problems setting up your joystick, add the following to your USER.CFG file:

cl_joystick_gain = 8
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 0.75
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1
cl_joystick_invert_yaw = 0
cl_joystick_invert_turn = 0
cl_joystick_deadzone = 0.1

The things you'll want to play with are:
cl_joystick_gain - The higher this value is set to, the faster a full throw of the joystick is going to move the reticule.

cl_joystick_sensitivity - The smaller this value is set to, the more sensitive your joystick will become. E.g. a slight throw of the joystick will trigger the movement. i.e. If you set this number to something big like 5, you'll smash the crud outta your joystick trying to get anything to move (which is funny in itself).

cl_joystick_throttle_range - This is a flag to tell your Joystick to have a middle STOP zone when the throttle is centered. Pushing forward makes you go forward, pulling back makes you go backward and putting the throttle in the middle will make you stop. I HIGHLY suggest you don't mess with this value. No I'm not going to help you with anything if you've messed with this value.

cl_joystick_invert_throttle - This will make sure that when you push forward on your throttle, you're going to accelerate.

cl_joystick_invert_pitch - When this is set to 1, you will look up when you pull BACK on the joystick. You will look down if you press FORWARD on the joystick. This is how airplanes work and how you should leave it unless you're some sort of demon spawn that does it backwards. If you are demon spawn, then set the value to 0 if you want to look the wrong direction when pressing forward or back on the joystick.

cl_joystick_deadzone - This is the amount of non-movement wiggle room when you're joystick is centered. The smaller you make this, the less wiggle room there will be.

NOTE:
Remember, turning a Mech (it's feet) is a DIGITAL (on/off) movement at the moment. This means when you press left or right to turn your Mech, it turns just like you're pressing the A or D key on the keyboard. Slight movements on the joystick react like a key press. We know this is not how sim players want it and it should be small movements = slow turns. The problem is, the fix requires a huge code update on Mech movement. This is something we cannot tackle at the moment but it IS going to be addressed. We just can't give you a confirmed date of delivery.

How much of this is still active?

#304 Slion

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:28 AM

I tried that user.cfg thing a couple of days ago and that did not bring anything. My guess is that this is not working as explained in that thread anymore. Also exiting MWO to edit text file and restart it again is such a painful process no gamer should have to go through that really.

I was using a Logitech 3D Exterme Pro but the hardware is quite hard to handle so I wanted to change the response curve so that full throttle would be reached at half the forward run of the stick. You can't do that using Logitech Gaming Software, otherwise called Profiler. You can't do that in MWO which is a pity too. I ended up using Joystick Curves and vJoystick. Together those tools will allow to edit your stick response curves in descent way so that you can play MWO without breaking your wrists.

Still I'm about to try out the Thrustmaster T.16000M as a lot people swear it's a lot better than the Logitech. I just got it out of its box and I can confirm handling that stick is a lot easier and feels a lot more precise and sturdy than the Logitech. Let's see how it does in-game.

Edited by Slion, 30 May 2015 - 05:30 AM.

#305 Spike -Habokku- Kurojima

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

Hello everybody!

I have a question concerning piloting MWO with a joystick.
I got myself a MadCatz V.1 Flight Stick, which i absolutly love for playing mwo!
stick in the left, mouse in the right, perfect.

However, I have read somewhere, that one can bind the Thrust (z-axis) to fire a weapon group in such way that when you turn the thrust to 100%, the wepon group fires continiously. I want to have that for a TAG-Laser, but i cant seem to make it work.

Can somebody help me?

#306 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:53 PM

View PostAzedine, on 31 May 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

Hello everybody!

I have a question concerning piloting MWO with a joystick.
I got myself a MadCatz V.1 Flight Stick, which i absolutly love for playing mwo!
stick in the left, mouse in the right, perfect.

However, I have read somewhere, that one can bind the Thrust (z-axis) to fire a weapon group in such way that when you turn the thrust to 100%, the wepon group fires continiously. I want to have that for a TAG-Laser, but i cant seem to make it work.

Can somebody help me?

Somewhere along the line, the bind controls/UI stopped allowing you to do this. It used to be possible but isn't currently. I've personally PM'd Russ and Paul aking if there's any chance they might be able to devote some resources to polishing off the Joystick experience. They didn't say no, but it was more of a "we'll see what we can do" response.

It's a little frustrating that the UI used to do it but won't anymore. All you really need is for the UI to make one tiny change to your actionmaps.xml file but it seems to have forgotten how to do it. :P Sadly, manually editing your actionmaps.xml was ruled to be against the TOS as far as I can tell.

#307 Spike -Habokku- Kurojima

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:03 PM

Well thats too bad...

no TAG spamming for me then.

But considering how much fun I have even without the thrust-binding, I think I can manage just fine.

Thanks for the quick answer!

#308 Faolan65

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:37 AM

I'm new to this forum thread, so maybe this has already been answered, as I havnt had a chance to read through the 16 pages.

I'm running Dual/Twin Joysticks, and have got the left stick successfully bound to throttle and leg turning, and I was able to get the right stick bound to pitch and torso twist with no issues, but I remember seeing a video (which I cant find anymore) where they had the right stick bound in a way that when the stick was centered, both pitch and twist returned to zero/straight ahead as well. And when an input of full twist or pitch on the stick was commanded, the pitch or twist traveled to full stop, and when the stick was at 50%, pitch or twist was at 50% travel, etc. Let go of the stick and pitch/twist returned to zero.

How do I go about making this work?

#309 Autofire55555

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

Is there a way to remove the hardwired controls? I don't want my throttle to control the throttle, for example. My Xbox 360-style gamepad has two analog shoulder buttons which are treated like the throttle. In addition, the first button it hardwired to shoot the selected weapon group; a bind I wouldn't ever even use! I wanted to assign the shoulder buttons to fire specific weapon groups, the face buttons to do useful things like jumpjets, and the sticks to handle movement.

What I mean by hardwiring is that I've assigned button 1 to activate jumpjets, but then pressing button 1 fires the jumpjets and shoots at the same time!

All that being said, I can't see myself using the gamepad for any time other than when I'm feeling silly, because unless I refine the controls it would be very hard to play well. Of course, it's usually better if there's a way to work around a problem like this one. >.>

#310 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

I was under the impression that you could now clear key binds in the options. If not, you can work around it by assigning a key/button that you have assigned somewhere else to the function you want to clear, then reassign the same key back to the fuction that it started on.

#311 Faolan65

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

So I've been reading alot of the old posts on joystick setup, specifically Zero Order Absolute controls and will hopefully have some time soon to sit down and try out what's been posted (TARGET scripts, Etc). Before I do that my concern is that all that info is fairly dated. Does anyone have any updated TARGET Scripts and/or settings tutorials, or is the stuff from 2013 still relevant?

Also, any of you wouldn't happen to have any game-play videos showcasing the Zero Order Absolute controls in action?

#312 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:12 PM

I seem to be missing something with regards to TARGET. I just can't, for the life of me, have the reticule return dead center when the stick is centered. I'm always off.

#313 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:00 AM

View PostMystere, on 17 June 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

I seem to be missing something with regards to TARGET. I just can't, for the life of me, have the reticule return dead center when the stick is centered. I'm always off.

That is the rub right there. You can fine tune your torso + arm maximums by adjusting the mouse sensitivity slider in MWO, but there are so many factors at play as to why you cant hit dead center on twist.

Mechs all have different rates of twist, different twist distances, different arm traversal. 2x basics change those values, engine size affects it and depending on how fast your making your movements and counter rotations on the legs....

View PostFaolan65, on 17 June 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Also, any of you wouldn't happen to have any game-play videos showcasing the Zero Order Absolute controls in action?

Not yet. I'll see what I can work up in the next few days.

#314 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:49 AM

View PostFoust, on 18 June 2015 - 05:00 AM, said:

That is the rub right there. You can fine tune your torso + arm maximums by adjusting the mouse sensitivity slider in MWO, but there are so many factors at play as to why you cant hit dead center on twist.

Mechs all have different rates of twist, different twist distances, different arm traversal. 2x basics change those values, engine size affects it and depending on how fast your making your movements and counter rotations on the legs....

No kidding.

I was thinking of making TARGET trigger "center torso to legs" when the x-axis hits center, but I just realized that too creates it own issues.

I think I'm going half-half (i.e. Warthog Throttle + trackball) for now.

#315 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:18 AM

I get a lot of mileage out of having "center torso to legs" bound to a switch on my throttle.

#316 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:40 AM

I mitigate this problem by not using the full range of motion available in yaw, as I've found that last few deg of range rarely matter, but also use centering from time to time. It's just as easy to get the legst/torso out of alignment by opposing leg turning and torso twist, and you can also re-align that way as well but it's easier to push 'c'.

Having an automatic centering pulse is an absolute nightmare in practice as it involuntarily snaps you around at the most inopportune times (my earliest script from 2012 started off with this 'feature') and is nausea inducing if you are concentrating so I prefer to handle it via 'c' centering or the leg trick I described above.

#317 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:01 PM

View PostLoc Nar, on 20 June 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

I mitigate this problem by not using the full range of motion available in yaw, as I've found that last few deg of range rarely matter, but also use centering from time to time. It's just as easy to get the legst/torso out of alignment by opposing leg turning and torso twist, and you can also re-align that way as well but it's easier to push 'c'.

Having an automatic centering pulse is an absolute nightmare in practice as it involuntarily snaps you around at the most inopportune times (my earliest script from 2012 started off with this 'feature') and is nausea inducing if you are concentrating so I prefer to handle it via 'c' centering or the leg trick I described above.

I was thinking that might be an issue. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

Missiles and autocannons seem manageable using a stick. Lasers are another matter, and gauss seems to be somewhere in the middle.

It's going to take a whole lot of practice, not to mention unlearning, to get back to using a stick.

#318 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:18 AM

View PostFaolan65, on 17 June 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

From lastnight. Uncut, unedited. You can hear the rudder movement, the switches on the throttle and the toggle on one of my control panels. Mic picks up more than I gave it credit for.

#319 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:16 AM

Foust - sorry if this has been covered already, but how long is the throw on your aiming stick? Is it a standard stick, or have you lengthened it?
At some point I would like to get zero-order aiming going, but am strapped for cash at the moment, so I have had to shelve my custom stick for the time being, but I am thinking that for decent fidelity, you are gonna need a pretty damned large throw, at least on the X axis.

Oh, and FYI I would recommend ditching the MGs on the Huginn - the MGs do not have great synergy with the SRMs as one is a beam and one is a projectile.
Personally, I would rather spend the weight on more SRM ammo - you can also save an extra half ton or so by stripping some armor from the arms, which is not ideal if you have MGs on the arms.
If I run outta ammo in my Huginn, I am generally doing >1000 dmg, and your accuracy seems fine, so I reckon you could achieve that too.

Edited by evilC, 08 July 2015 - 10:18 AM.

#320 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

Standard stick, even still has the spring in it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users