373 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

If you are having problems setting up your joystick, add the following to your USER.CFG file:

cl_joystick_gain = 8
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 0.75
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1
cl_joystick_invert_yaw = 0
cl_joystick_invert_turn = 0
cl_joystick_deadzone = 0.1

The things you'll want to play with are:
cl_joystick_gain - The higher this value is set to, the faster a full throw of the joystick is going to move the reticule.

cl_joystick_sensitivity - The smaller this value is set to, the more sensitive your joystick will become. E.g. a slight throw of the joystick will trigger the movement. i.e. If you set this number to something big like 5, you'll smash the crud outta your joystick trying to get anything to move (which is funny in itself).

cl_joystick_throttle_range - This is a flag to tell your Joystick to have a middle STOP zone when the throttle is centered. Pushing forward makes you go forward, pulling back makes you go backward and putting the throttle in the middle will make you stop. I HIGHLY suggest you don't mess with this value. No I'm not going to help you with anything if you've messed with this value.

cl_joystick_invert_throttle - This will make sure that when you push forward on your throttle, you're going to accelerate.

cl_joystick_invert_pitch - When this is set to 1, you will look up when you pull BACK on the joystick. You will look down if you press FORWARD on the joystick. This is how airplanes work and how you should leave it unless you're some sort of demon spawn that does it backwards. If you are demon spawn, then set the value to 0 if you want to look the wrong direction when pressing forward or back on the joystick.

cl_joystick_deadzone - This is the amount of non-movement wiggle room when you're joystick is centered. The smaller you make this, the less wiggle room there will be.

NOTE:
Remember, turning a Mech (it's feet) is a DIGITAL (on/off) movement at the moment. This means when you press left or right to turn your Mech, it turns just like you're pressing the A or D key on the keyboard. Slight movements on the joystick react like a key press. We know this is not how sim players want it and it should be small movements = slow turns. The problem is, the fix requires a huge code update on Mech movement. This is something we cannot tackle at the moment but it IS going to be addressed. We just can't give you a confirmed date of delivery.

#2 serBungles

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

hm... it seems something has broken after applying this config.

in my game the cursor now controls the torso for left to right, vertical movement still controls the arms.

anyway to fix this?

#3 PeptoB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationUSA, Bread Basket

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

I have a very functional Siatek X52 Pro setup, if anyone is interested.

BTW, a cheap plug to ask PGI to give us the analog turning..been waiting a long time for it.

Otherwise, most of the community has been able to get there controller up in running with some tweaks. Maybe we can ask the devs to ressurrect a couple of those beta posts (scrubbed a bit) from the beta archive instead of trying to repeat it all?

PeptoB ;)

#4 Wildedge

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

View PostPeptoB, on 01 November 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

I have a very functional Siatek X52 Pro setup, if anyone is interested.

BTW, a cheap plug to ask PGI to give us the analog turning..been waiting a long time for it.

Otherwise, most of the community has been able to get there controller up in running with some tweaks. Maybe we can ask the devs to ressurrect a couple of those beta posts (scrubbed a bit) from the beta archive instead of trying to repeat it all?

PeptoB ;)

I'm very interested in trying your set up. I sent you a message. I've been discouraged with my attempts to set up a CH Fighterstick Pro Joystick and Pedals, going back to the mouse every time. The Gain and Sensitivity settings seem nearly impossible to me to get right.

#5 Wildedge

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Paul, I am adjusting the cl_joystick_ gain and cl_joystick_sensitivity parameters, experimenting to try and find a combination I am happy with.

Do you know the maximum values of the gain and sensitivity? 0-20 on Gain for example?

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

If you are having problems setting up your joystick, add the following to your USER.CFG file:

cl_joystick_gain = 8
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 0.75
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1
cl_joystick_invert_yaw = 0
cl_joystick_invert_turn = 0
cl_joystick_deadzone = 0.1

The things you'll want to play with are:
cl_joystick_gain - The higher this value is set to, the faster a full throw of the joystick is going to move the reticule.

cl_joystick_sensitivity - The smaller this value is set to, the more sensitive your joystick will become. E.g. a slight throw of the joystick will trigger the movement. i.e. If you set this number to something big like 5, you'll smash the crud outta your joystick trying to get anything to move (which is funny in itself).

cl_joystick_throttle_range - This is a flag to tell your Joystick to have a middle STOP zone when the throttle is centered. Pushing forward makes you go forward, pulling back makes you go backward and putting the throttle in the middle will make you stop. I HIGHLY suggest you don't mess with this value. No I'm not going to help you with anything if you've messed with this value.

cl_joystick_invert_throttle - This will make sure that when you push forward on your throttle, you're going to accelerate.

cl_joystick_invert_pitch - When this is set to 1, you will look up when you pull BACK on the joystick. You will look down if you press FORWARD on the joystick. This is how airplanes work and how you should leave it unless you're some sort of demon spawn that does it backwards. If you are demon spawn, then set the value to 0 if you want to look the wrong direction when pressing forward or back on the joystick.

cl_joystick_deadzone - This is the amount of non-movement wiggle room when you're joystick is centered. The smaller you make this, the less wiggle room there will be.

NOTE:
Remember, turning a Mech (it's feet) is a DIGITAL (on/off) movement at the moment. This means when you press left or right to turn your Mech, it turns just like you're pressing the A or D key on the keyboard. Slight movements on the joystick react like a key press. We know this is not how sim players want it and it should be small movements = slow turns. The problem is, the fix requires a huge code update on Mech movement. This is something we cannot tackle at the moment but it IS going to be addressed. We just can't give you a confirmed date of delivery.

#6 NeoHax

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

will i be able to use my xbox 360 controller

#7 Romulus Stahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationStormhead, Loburg, Alarion Province

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

NOTE:

Paul definitely a move int he right direction, between these settings and my stick software (Thrustmaster TARGET), I think I can get things working decently. I've been using Throttle/Rudders/Mouse from day one, the stick was too slow.

Throttle Deadzone
As I can make adjustments to my axis within TARGET I should be able to change the dead zone on my throttle, some folks will not have this ability.

Xaxis
The stick Xaxis works decently with the setting of 8, 10 was too fast on my end, deadzone is decent.

Yaxis
Setting of 8 is too much for the Y, the deadzone is to small as well, I believe I can get enough adjustment in TARGET to have thing working acceptably by changing the Y curves.

Any idea when we may see TrackIR implementation?

#8 Hansh0tfirst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:12 AM

Perhaps a really dumb question, but is there a setting like this for torso pitch/yaw?

I'd like the torso to effectively auto-center as the stick moves to the neutral position, but I'm not having any luck. Currently I have to move the stick in the opposite direction of my initial movement to return to center.

Thanks!

#9 Wolfp

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Yaw is represented by torso twist and turning with your legs, and your torso pitches up and down with the movement of your arms. (x,y axis). Nothing auto centers, although you can program torso centering to legs via the option menu. I dont use it very much. You'll eventually develop a feel for where your legs are in relation to your torso and won't need an auto center/center function

#10 Hansh0tfirst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostWolfp, on 09 November 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

Yaw is represented by torso twist and turning with your legs, and your torso pitches up and down with the movement of your arms. (x,y axis). Nothing auto centers, although you can program torso centering to legs via the option menu. I dont use it very much. You'll eventually develop a feel for where your legs are in relation to your torso and won't need an auto center/center function

I don't think I did a very good job explaining myself. Please bear with me as I give it another go.

When I start a match, my joystick is in the neutral position. In other words, I'm not pushing it in any direction; forward, backwards, nor to either side. Similarly, my mech also begins in a neutral position. It's head/torso is facing foward and is level with the horizon.

Now if I push the joystick forward my mech will start to pitch down look towards the ground. This is cool, and working fine/as I'd expect.

So what's the issue?

When I release the stick (stop pushing it forward) and allow it to return to center, my mech does not also return to center. Instead, my mech remains pitched down. In order for my mech to return to a neutral position (pitch up) I have to pull back on the stick roughly as far as I had initially pushed it forward (to pitch down).

In short, I'm moving my stick twice as far and twice more often than I want to.

What I'd prefer is a 1:1 ratio between the joystick's orientation and my mech's orientation. In other words, if I push the stick all the way forward, my mech would pitch as far down as the chassis will allow. If I pull the stick all the way backwards, my mech would pitch as far up as the chassis will allow. And if I release the joystick and allow it to return to center, my mech would also return to center.

I hope that makes more sense.

#11 dangerzone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a F14-Tomcat

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Is it possible to make it so that you can individualize the cl_joystick_gain code line for different axis?

Like maybe cl_joystick_gain_yaw = 8 ?

I tried that and it had no difference so I suppose that does not work.

It made my pitch and jaw perfect, but made my mech turn WAY TOO fast for my liking.

#12 Romulus Stahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationStormhead, Loburg, Alarion Province

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

View PostHansh0tfirst, on 09 November 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

I don't think I did a very good job explaining myself. Please bear with me as I give it another go.

You are looking for an "absolute" setup.

I haven't tried it, but if the convention carries over it would be.
cl_joystick_pitch_range = 0
cl_joystick_yaw_range = 0

#13 Duncan Fisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC / Palo Alto, CA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

okay I just did this and it fixed my joystick issues, but my screen was super yellow with lines across it, couldnt see a thing, any ideas why?

#14 Canoptek

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

View PostNeoHax, on 06 November 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

will i be able to use my xbox 360 controller

I am wondering this too as my second joystick will be great for throttel and leg turning.

#15 CodSack

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

So, do I just do a search for the user cfg file, then add these codes to the folder?

also, is this the joystick user cfg file?

Edited by CodSack, 15 November 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#16 MonnieRock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNeptune Beach,Florida,USA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Paul Inouye,

Thank you so much for the information. Due to your post, adjusting the values, I got my Thrustmaster Warthog and Saitek Rudder pedals working perfectly. Feels like I am in a Mech !!!

Thank you,
Monnie

#17 Mordhar

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 69 posts
  • LocationChelyabinsk, Russia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

Two questions:

1) My unmodified [user.cfg] file, have 0kb size and empty. Is it normal?

2) Is there any way to use Gametrix ECS throttle? MW:O is the only game, which cannot “see” this device. No axis detection, no button mapping. I tried to set ID manually and even unplug any other joysticks, no effect.

Note to left-stick+mouse users:

To make it work this way: "cl_joystick_throttle_range - This is a flag to tell your Joystick to have a middle STOP zone when the throttle is centered. Pushing forward makes you go forward, pulling back makes you go backward and putting the throttle in the middle will make you stop." you need to set it to cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0.5.

Edited by Mordhar, 22 November 2012 - 01:31 AM.

#18 Grenadapult

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHermann, MO

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Ok, I have a dumb questuion here, HOW do I mod a flightstick config file???? Also, I know the push-button system of leg control may be annoying, but please PGI, keep it as an option.

Thanks,
Tim

#19 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

The people who ask for our money should be solving these problems. 1 the game engine was never made for a joystick. 2 its on low priority no matter what they say. For you to be having to program your own joystick. Is like buying a new car and having you put the electrical system in. _____ to that. I love this game a lot and its getting better. I wish someone would give a darn about are unimportant problems . Someone gave me an answer because I said I had all the bindings working except one. The forward and back pitch on the joystick was backwards . should we be trying to fix their screw-ups when they have 5 and probably because of us 6 mil and we do the work for them. I have installed business systems since 1979 and do you think I would expect the company to do my work? This is BS. Im retired now but trust me their would never an WA engine purchased unless they did the work before purchase. Even some TECHS say that personally. O my answer to my question to the tech was the same old crap look here and look their. Non of it had anything to do with my question their binding of forward or backward movement of the stick. Ill probably will end up having to get my 8th X52 . But to pay money and do their work wake up guys that's ____ ____, Stop programing and start why you are paying for a game that will not help you and give you the old company line. I even get better service from Sony. The world has gone insane in my old age. Shotokan5.. They are however doing a great job in many other areas. Things we only wished for less than 10 years ago are here now. Thanks for that.

Edited by shotokan5, 25 November 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#20 Grenadapult

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHermann, MO

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

Shotokan, you aren't throwing away the 7 old X52's are ya??? I'm not complaining about controls because its still Beta. When PGI releases this game as "complete", essentially bragging to the public abiout how awesome the game is, and the "invert y-axis" checkmark still doesn't work on a joystick, yeah, I'll be bothered.
As for YOUR controller... I'm cobbling my own togetehr from scratch from 3 donor flightsticks, a Playstation Controller and some random buttons. If you are buying a new X52 everytime you have an issue with one, please, send a couple my way. I'll gut em and add to my Frankenstein.
So, my question still stands, how do I add to the config file? I'm not afraid or angry, I just don't yet know how to find it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users