Mechwarrior Movie/HBO/Anime

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Mechwarrior Series Formats (252 member(s) have cast votes)

Which format would you prefer a Mechwarrior series to be presented in?

1. Film(s) (89 votes [25.57%])

Percentage of vote: 25.57%

2. HBO Series (159 votes [45.69%])

Percentage of vote: 45.69%

3. Anime (77 votes [22.13%])

Percentage of vote: 22.13%

4. Hell no. Your idea is bad, and you should feel bad. (11 votes [3.16%])

Percentage of vote: 3.16%

5. What are these "moving pictures" you speak of? (12 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Sleeping Bear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGuam

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

I think an HBO series would totally rock it out. Instead of picking Wolf's Dragoons however; I'd chose to follow the royal houses of all nations starting just prior to the 3rd Succession war and have each season focus on a generation. The shenanigans and travails that each noble house engages in would be entertaining as hell. Throw in the occasional pivotal 'mech battle and you'd have one hell of a series. Interesting story arcs would be the Kell brothers adventures with Katrina, the Kurita > Wolf's Dragoons feud, the subterfuge between the Maskirovka and MI6, also the Davion-Steiner union, and the Ronin Wars and formation of the Rasalhague Republic. In each arc are innumerable stories taht could take up whole one hour episodes easily. By having story arcs focusing on differently aligned factions, you can have multiple directors ala Band of Brothers, and can really crank out the series quickly.

#22 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

An Epic HBO. Ease it in ala firefly. No ANIME! I'm sorry, I think taking the only real Western Mecha and making it eastern animation is...contradictory to it's nature.

#23 Baphomech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

We're getting some good feedback here! Let's keep it coming folks!

If we can actually come to somewhat of a consensus, as a community, in regards to what we want to see, perhaps we can reach out to the proper individuals.

PGI, you have a vested interest in this as well - an even somewhat successful Battletech show will create more fans who want to pilot 'mechs, and they will come to MWO with dineros in hand. See what Randall Bills thinks. Mechwarrior Online and more 'mech merch money.

#24 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

No offense to the fans here.

But, hell no to anime styled mechwarrior. I'm sorry, but, I really don't think the formula for anime would work for this...Hawken maybe, but not this.

It's bad enough it was butchered badly back in the early 90s, to make it into a Gundam clone would probably send some of us on a chainsaw laced nerd-rage.

No, if anything, and HBO series would be cool...they do some nice work. A film would be extremely tough to get all across info-wise(backstory and all).

But I actually think the way SW The Clone Wars approached their story line might work for MW, you wouldn't need the exaggerated style so much...and battle could be reflected well in that sort of 3d format.

Just for Bob's sake....get some good screenplay writers for once.

#25 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Anime series. (though I find the HBO series uber fantastic)

If I would choose the producers, the same as the Appleseed ex Machina.

I liked your Wolf Dragoons idea, but I have other suggestion:

Kell Hounds (basically the story of Phelan Kell) - which would give a good idea of the IS, introduces the clans in a very dramatic way and would feature some of the greatest clan characters, like Ulric, Vlad and Natasha.

The novels are there. Now we need a millionaire to fund the series.

#26 SirLANsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Budget wise would see another anime show up since the first one was good for its era but never finnished anything :(

However if you were able to pitch this well to HBO or Sci-Fi they could do VERY well with this. 3D animation would be quite obvius for the mechs and these days you would hardly be able to tell it was animated. As for siries and where you pick in the timeline to go....gee theres a hundered diffrent places you could start. However the most logentivity you would get out of a multiple seasons would be starting season one pre clans and halfway through the first season it you do the clan invation.

#27 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostHenchman 24, on 24 October 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

No offense to the fans here.

But, hell no to anime styled mechwarrior. I'm sorry, but, I really don't think the formula for anime would work for this...Hawken maybe, but not this.

It's bad enough it was butchered badly back in the early 90s, to make it into a Gundam clone would probably send some of us on a chainsaw laced nerd-rage.

No, if anything, and HBO series would be cool...they do some nice work. A film would be extremely tough to get all across info-wise(backstory and all).

But I actually think the way SW The Clone Wars approached their story line might work for MW, you wouldn't need the exaggerated style so much...and battle could be reflected well in that sort of 3d format.

Just for Bob's sake....get some good screenplay writers for once.

I have a feeling you haven't watched many anime.

Seriously, go watch Armored Trooper VOTOMS for a look at what a dedicated team can do with a "real robot" (That is, a realistic robot) series. The machines are only about 8 meters tall, can't fly, and fall to even conventional weaponry like assault rifles. Its got pretty good animation (especially for the 80's), good characters (The main character isn't some teenager, he's a seasoned veteran), and a good storyline with plenty of stuff going on (That isn't absolutely ridiculous) to keep one entertained.

Anime mecha != Gundam

#28 Joe Luck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

The Wolfs Dragoons wouldn't be a good example. Yes they are the best at what they do but they don't quite show the Inner Sphere. I feel they would act to awkward with regular groups. I would opt for a remake of Crescent Hawks inception game into a movie/tv series or "Grey Death" Legion. Either one will introduce people to the universe better and have the people learning about the mechs and the IS in a more straight forward manner.

#29 Minos Murdoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 252 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

I'd love for HBO to do a feature length film that leads into a series. but it seems that most of the TV series i've liked over the last couple of years have done one series and then cancelled because viewer ratings. But think if anyone couple do it it would be HBO. failing that i'd have to say anime series. i loved the Battletech Cartoon in the 90's (though watched a couple on Utube the other day and not as good as i remember lol).

#30 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

an HBO series would be epic

#31 Pisces Proxima

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Broken Blade/Break Blade

Had to mention this one for anyone interested in Anime and MechWarrior.

This is a short series encompassing 6 OVAs. I'm not a fan of Gundam anything, but this show was the closest to a modern MechWarrior anime I've seen. It shares a lot of parallels with Battletech:

political wars, mechs that move with actual myomer muscles. A lostech hero mech with triple-strength myomer muscles. No flying mechs, No laser swords. Pilots across the entire age spectrum, not armies of 12 year olds. Heroes can die. Serious tone. Good guys and bad guys in every faction. Epic presentation.

Give it a shot, it's very short so you won't feel like you are wasting your time.

#32 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Actually I think SyFy should look at it as a series..

Like The Walking Dead, BSG, Farscape, etc.. take the Genre and make it a well written and produced drama with intrigue and such.

DON'T make it about the Mechs. The series just happens to be set in a war torn future where Mechs are the weapon of choice.

#33 L A guns

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

never gonna happen-no market to speak of(IMO)

#34 Droknar

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

ever since the MW4 intro i've been waiting for a MW movie. The intro was really great back then, it would be great to make a movie like that.

#35 Okie135

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMercenary Training Command, Outreach

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Film or HBO series, you need Joss Whedon. What he's good at is letting the characters be characters. eg. Buffy, Firefly, Avengers, Doll House, etc.

#36 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostL A guns, on 24 October 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

never gonna happen

I don't know PROPERLY done and PROPERLY supported it can..

Farscape
BSG
ST:ALL
LOST
The Walking Dead
Falling Skies

Prove SciFi can work.. but it has to be compelling TV..

I mean who really thought a Zombiepoclypse TV Series would work..?

Or a Reboot of a cheesy 70s SciFi show..?

With AMC proving with Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, etc.. Darker, more adult driven storylines and such can pull the ratings.

Unfortunately for every BSG there is a BSG:Caprica or Firefly or Earth2 or TerraNova..

So it HAS to have support, HAS to have a realistic expectations and be on the right channel. I think it would work on FOX paired with Falling Skies.. Unlike some of these properties Battletech (Like The Walking Dead) has a great backstory and novels based on the property, so writers would have material to draw from.. A LOT of material.

Its going to require a Cable channel to invest heavily in it and give it time to develop a fan base. Just like Walking Dead, Falling Skies, etc.. have.. Because 1 million-3 million viewers (in the case of walking dead its closer to broadcast network level of ratings) is enough to sustain a show like this. There was a time when the SciFi channel was willing to do something like this (BSG, Lex, Farscape, etc..) But it doesn't seem the current SyFy would, but its possible with the success of so many other shows on cable recently.

Just have to get big name behind it.. to be honest Steven Spielberg comes to mind recently he has supported a lot of SciFi (Falling Skies, Terra Nova, etc..)

Edited by Chuckie, 24 October 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#37 Dalorante Corbanis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 122 posts
  • LocationCaboteur Elistar Maison Davion

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

Histoire possible maison de davion mariage avec steiner plus chute de la maison des LIAO
Baroudeur de Kell. Mercenaire

Mais tout ceci c'est beau mais il faut transmettre l'info plus haut voir plus loin a HBO ou la FOX directement.

#38 Joe Luck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

View PostChuckie, on 24 October 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

I don't know PROPERLY done and PROPERLY supported it can..

Farscape
BSG
ST:ALL
LOST
The Walking Dead
Falling Skies

Prove SciFi can work.. but it has to be compelling TV..

I mean who really thought a Zombiepoclypse TV Series would work..?

Or a Reboot of a cheesy 70s SciFi show..?

With AMC proving with Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, etc.. Darker, more adult driven storylines and such can pull the ratings.

Unfortunately for every BSG there is a BSG:Caprica or Firefly or Earth2 or TerraNova..

So it HAS to have support, HAS to have a realistic expectations and be on the right channel. I think it would work on FOX paired with Falling Skies.. Unlike some of these properties Battletech (Like The Walking Dead) has a great backstory and novels based on the property, so writers would have material to draw from.. A LOT of material.

Its going to require a Cable channel to invest heavily in it and give it time to develop a fan base. Just like Walking Dead, Falling Skies, etc.. have.. Because 1 million-3 million viewers (in the case of walking dead its closer to broadcast network level of ratings) is enough to sustain a show like this. There was a time when the SciFi channel was willing to do something like this (BSG, Lex, Farscape, etc..) But it doesn't seem the current SyFy would, but its possible with the success of so many other shows on cable recently.

Just have to get big name behind it.. to be honest Steven Spielberg comes to mind recently he has supported a lot of SciFi (Falling Skies, Terra Nova, etc..)

Fox is a horrible station to do SCIFI. They schedule it into oblivion. That's what happened to firefly and many other Scifi shows. Also, Spielberg is over rated now. He wouldn't be working on it but would have someone else. They really wouldn't then keep to btech but just make a big robot stompy movie. SyFy could do it but that's at least 2-3 mill per episode like they did with Battlestar. F/X might also be a viable alternative. NBC or ABC would dumb/simplify it down then try to make it "Family" Oriented.

#39 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Just get Uwe Boll to direct the movie, it'll be great!...

J/K!

An HBO adaptation of the Blood of Kerensky trilogy though could very well be amazing though

Nah, I'd say start with The Sword and the Dagger, then the Warrior Trilogy. Grey Death would be great too, but that'd pretty much be a separate series.

#40 Chief 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 479 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Moving.....pictures ? AMAZING !!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users