Mechwarrior Movie/HBO/Anime

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Mechwarrior Series Formats (252 member(s) have cast votes)

Which format would you prefer a Mechwarrior series to be presented in?

1. Film(s) (89 votes [25.57%])

Percentage of vote: 25.57%

2. HBO Series (159 votes [45.69%])

Percentage of vote: 45.69%

3. Anime (77 votes [22.13%])

Percentage of vote: 22.13%

4. Hell no. Your idea is bad, and you should feel bad. (11 votes [3.16%])

Percentage of vote: 3.16%

5. What are these "moving pictures" you speak of? (12 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Though playing FPS gets old pretty fast, Titanfall has awesome cinematics, and if I were some producer this would among my foremost choices.

Armored Core has some of the best trailers around, certainly the best for any mech game.

I like the way this looks like it would be the future of warfare. The sky filled with helos dropping mechs has an oppressive militaristic feel to it, like it can happen to any city in the future.

If I were to make Battletech more cinematic,all the mech and vehicular designs would have to be scrapped and redrawn; more aggressive, more futuristic and definitely more oppressive and ominous.

Edited by Anjian, 22 July 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#62 SouthernRex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

I hope anime just to piss you people off.

#63 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Series would be best and the first season should start with the Fourth Succession War. There could be multiple point of view characters like Game of Thrones, in fact Battletech could easily be Game of Thrones in space.

#64 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Animated movie or motion picture but no low budget. Hbo would screw it up ang sci fi channel too low budget. Hire james cameron to do it.

#65 CN9 ACE PILOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 306 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUNKNOWN

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

HBO Series have larger budgets than Movie films now a days, and since they actually care about ratings they have to maintain quality. Plus there is way too much lore to try to squeeze in a movie which results in horribly planned and crunched scripts.

High quality animated shorts would not be too bad either. Similar to the style used in "Halo Legends: Prototype"

I love the cinematic opening of every MW game. But an HBO series would be best and I've been hoping for one ever since i saw the opening cinematic of MW4 back in '00 that had a really good mix of Live cast and CGI

Edited by CN9 ACE PILOT, 27 July 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#66 SirDubDub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but I am working on something else along these lines.

#67 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostSirDubDub, on 27 July 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but I am working on something else along these lines.

If you made an Anime out of your comic series, it would be short, but quite good.

#68 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

View PostAnjian, on 22 July 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

Anime can be produced at a fairly low budget and you do not have to demphasize mechs in the story, just because you want to remain within your CG budget while the actors want more screen time.

I guess in the Star Wars movies the actors got enough screen times but you still remember spaceships as a BIG part of those movies, quiaff?

Just do the same with BT. In many battles scenes you would briefly show the MechWarrior inside the cockpit, in different situations: taking a hit, communicating a long message, looking at the battle on the viewscreen from his point of view... Just look at Star Wars.

#69 Luke Garrad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom - Devon

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

The best example and format of what a Mechwarrior anime would be like would be Legend of Galactic heroes. It's a highly rated old series which started back in 1988. I've read people saying that they would want a battletech series which goes to depths such as politics and the people which Legend of Galatic Heroes does really well while having at the same time really good battle scenes that can be from in space to on foot. It's a shame you don't see any new anime like this today, mostly due to the market not being interested.
http://en.wikipedia....Galactic_Heroes

Edited by Luke Garrad, 28 July 2014 - 01:38 AM.

#70 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

Any of the three visual formats would be good.

What keeps me from voting for any of them is the abject lack of good script writing - story? coherence? wazzat?

I don't look forward to the idea of hangover 4: battletech edition - house lords get stoned and cause wars.... the only anime type we'd get would be a chibi mechwarrior anime, and I expect HBO would attemmpt to do it as their own version of breaking bad/true crime/nomechcombat.

The total lack of original creativity (hello, remake of the A-TEAM?!?) and the prevalance of "mangle the established storyline horribly" doesn't help either.

Edited by Pht, 28 July 2014 - 06:57 AM.

#71 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Movie format would be unlikely to work. The length of a movie heavily restricted the depth of the back story it can develop. Pacific Rim barely had a story, Star Wars had the basic bilateral story, TLOTR had a massive world but thanks to its western fantasy stereotypes you don't even have to introduce them in the movie. It is for the very reason why there ain't any decent Star Trek movie recently, or any W40K movies. Therefore unless you manage to shrink the backstory to a tiny portion of BT world, it would not work.

There's only so much an anime can handle. It's greatest drawback is the inability to effectively display scale. Probably one of the reasons why most Japanese mechs either are 2-floors tall power armors, or completely throw any resemblance of reality out of the window.

That left us with only one thing: TV series.

But would people really watch that?

#72 Hollow Earth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 300 posts
  • LocationIntergalactic House of Pancakes

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

I would vote anime ONLY on the condition that the art style would be based of either Cowboy Bebop, Legend of Galactic Heroes or the movie Akira. The Animatrix art style would fit well too i suppose.

If not, then HBO series. i would watch it.

Edited by Hollow Earth, 28 July 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#73 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:00 AM

I would take an animation and art style like the recently released Knights of Sidonia. In terms of technology depiction, its the best one I've seen since Ghost in the Shell. You can catch it on Netflix.

The recently concluded Gundam Unicorn wraps up the Gundam Universal Century saga, and the story of Amuro Rey and Char Aznable. This is how you can do a really good looking anime mech series.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users