Key Binding and Mouse Sensitivity

21 replies to this topic

#1 Archm4ge

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

Alright, game is going open beta tomoro. But 2 things have been hugely bothering me ever since some time ago. Frustrating.

1) The inability the change the mouse sensitivity of TORSO TURNS. ffs, every FPS provides that, i cant understand why is it so difficult for mwomercs to make one under Options. If there is some way to edit the mouse sensitivity settings in the config files manually, i would deeply appreciate if someone guide me how to. (Or is there something i dont know about relating to this topic?) Been searching for this in the forums but i cant find it.

2) The inability to bind certain functions to MouseWheelUp and MouseWheelDown. I used to be able to bind my "Center Torso" to MouseWheelUp and some other function to MouseWheelDown but i dont know why they took it away. When u get used to certain keys and playing it with certain keys and then they suddenly decided to removed it, dont u think it sucked? For ur info, Chivalry Medieval Warfare binds Stab to MWheelUp and Overhead Hack to MWheelDown, why would Piranha underrate the use of these 2 inputs? Again, if anyone knows how to get around these by manually editing mwo config files, some guidance would be deeply appreciated.

Just kinda feel that they should concentrate on getting such basic things right first, rather than the new content. It would make my gameplay experience much more pleasant and enjoyable.

#2 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:12 AM

Mouse sensitivity; Go to ~ C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\User Config, and add the following lines

i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel=0
cl_sensitivity = 0.2

The last figure (0.2) can be adjusted to taste, the default value is 1.0.

As to binding the m-wheel, check out the guides>general forum, I have a post up on there specifically about that, it's on the first page.

Edited by BigJim, 28 October 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#3 Archm4ge

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

Thank u so much, very helpful and straight to the point. Liked

#4 MuffinTop

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,089 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNext door to nobody.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

I would like to bind my mouse wheel to zoon, and I'm unable to do so.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

By default the mouse wheel click is the zoom. Zoom 2x/Zoom 3x/normal. The game is not currently setup to control if you zoom in (wheel forward) or zoom back out (wheel backwards). The guide mentioned above will show you how to attach commands though to it.

#6 BigJim

• 1,458 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 28 October 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

By default the mouse wheel click is the zoom. Zoom 2x/Zoom 3x/normal. The game is not currently setup to control if you zoom in (wheel forward) or zoom back out (wheel backwards)

What he said.
Personally, i use mouse wheel-up to toggle between the 3 zoom modes, and wheel-down to target nearest/next enemy.

I prefer mouse-1 for group 1, mouse-2 for grp-2, mouse-3 for grp-3 and mouse-4 for grp-4.
Anything more than 4 weapon groups and I forget them when I switch from mech to mech..

Edited by BigJim, 28 October 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#7 Reiss

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostBigJim, on 28 October 2012 - 03:12 AM, said:

As to binding the m-wheel, check out the guides>general forum, I have a post up on there specifically about that, it's on the first page.

I can't find that mentioned topic, could it be it's in the closed beta forum? And if so, could you make a copy to the new "Guides->Controls" forum, please?

#8 NoGhost

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Im new to this game, not new to mechwarrior and yes that key binding sux big time. Cant direclty remove bindings. If can, its hidden very well.......................... I like to click and press something to clear binding what I dont use. Now I can see joysticks what I dont have etc. confusing. Now have to bind same button everywere. Very bad.

#9 Archm4ge

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

basically to bind to mousewheel, u find a file called actionmaps.xml within your Mechwarrior Online\User\Profile\[YourName] folder. bind the function u want to "mwheel_up" and "mwheel_down"

#10 Goliath 3000

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

View PostBigJim, on 28 October 2012 - 03:12 AM, said:

Mouse sensitivity; Go to ~ C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\User Config, and add the following lines

i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel=0
cl_sensitivity = 0.2

The last figure (0.2) can be adjusted to taste, the default value is 1.0.

i have user.cfg file in mwo main directory.

am i writing:
i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel=0
cl_sensitivity = 0.2
exactly? i mean, speace between equally sign or no, because you write it different in different lines?

#11 TheRealPope478

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

I must be ******** because I can't find a way to edit the file at all. I tried to open the user.cfg file and my laptop told me to download some free file viewer thingy. I downloaded that and the file comes up as a blank page that I can not edit at all. Maybe I don't have the right file or something, but the main point I'm thinking right now is "why is this neccesary?" I realize this is just a BETA test at this point, but this is a major problem. At the default mouse sensitivity the game is basicaly unplayable. Your crosshairs bounce around so much that a target lock is not possible.

The Devs should prioritize adding a sensitivity adjuster into the options menu ASAP. Its a basic function that might have been over looked, but should be addresed quickly or this game will not get off the ground. By the open BETA you should expect to get players like me that are not very computer savvy and as much as I would love to try this game out its not worth my time at the moment. I have spent the last 3 hours just trying to get this basic issue resolved and regardless of whether or not I'm ******** for not being able to fix it, I still can't play the game.

I'm a LONG time mechwarrior fan and have been looking for a new mechwarrior title for years, so I hope that the devs will get this fixed soon, but in the mean time I think I will stick with Mechwarrior Living Legends. I still suck at that but at least I can shoot straight.

#12 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

View PostTheRealPope478, on 16 November 2012 - 02:04 AM, said:

I must be ******** because I can't find a way to edit the file at all. I tried to open the user.cfg file and my laptop told me to download some free file viewer thingy. I downloaded that and the file comes up as a blank page that I can not edit at all. Maybe I don't have the right file or something, but the main point I'm thinking right now is "why is this neccesary?" I realize this is just a BETA test at this point, but this is a major problem. At the default mouse sensitivity the game is basicaly unplayable. Your crosshairs bounce around so much that a target lock is not possible.

The Devs should prioritize adding a sensitivity adjuster into the options menu ASAP. Its a basic function that might have been over looked, but should be addresed quickly or this game will not get off the ground. By the open BETA you should expect to get players like me that are not very computer savvy and as much as I would love to try this game out its not worth my time at the moment. I have spent the last 3 hours just trying to get this basic issue resolved and regardless of whether or not I'm ******** for not being able to fix it, I still can't play the game.

I'm a LONG time mechwarrior fan and have been looking for a new mechwarrior title for years, so I hope that the devs will get this fixed soon, but in the mean time I think I will stick with Mechwarrior Living Legends. I still suck at that but at least I can shoot straight.

The file is blank unless you put something in there. Common commands work, and there are a million cryengine 3 commands that were covered in detail on the beta boards at one point.

I don't think anyone knows why the game doesn't have mouse sensitivity in the actual game.

#13 Daimonos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

The best post I can find on rebinding the mouse wheel is http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1359831

#14 TheRealPope478

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

well I think I figured it out. just right clicked it and opened it with note pad. added text and the mouse seems more under control now. actually got 2 lucky kills last match.

I do feel strongly still though that the devs need to prioritize adding mouse sensitivity to the menu options ASAP though just so that people will give the game a chance. Its hard enough trying to learn a new game without the mouse all over the place. And casual gamers can't be expected to dig through the forums just to adjust there settings.

All in all though I greatly appreciate the advice and I hope to see you all under my crosshairs very soon.

#15 Elfman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

Agree with the mouse sensitvity in a game option.

Presently depending upon the build I am playing I have to quit and restart game when changing from sniping with large laser to brawling configs and change the setting to suit in user.cfg

Would be a lot easier if i could just change the setting on the fly between matches

#16 BigJim

• 1,458 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

View PostGoliath 3000, on 07 November 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

i have user.cfg file in mwo main directory.

am i writing:
i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel=0
cl_sensitivity = 0.2
exactly? i mean, speace between equally sign or no, because you write it different in different lines?

Good point - I just checked my User.cfg file and that's how it's written there, the middle line does not have spaces between the equals-sign and the zero..

Looks to me like the game engine recognises the syntax both ways, because when I wrote the above post way back when, I just copy/pasted those lines right outta my own User.cfg file.

#17 Blaximus

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Sweet thanks for posting the mouse setup.

#18 Loqgar

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

I can't seem to edit my user.cfg file. I tried to open it with word, and notepad and get nothing but blank screen. Any ideas?

Edit: Blank by default, I'Just add the lines

Edit2: 0.2 was way to low for me I tried 0.6 and like it much better. I will play around with it to find the best value for me. Everyone should try it out unless you use a different way to control your sensitivity, especially if you like your arm mounted weapons

Edited by Loqgar, 09 December 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#19 Hypertrophy

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

For the love of *****. How do I clear a keybind in this horrific control config. Not reassign, just clear the bind. Please help. Did several Google searches with no success.

#20 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

no clue. nice bump.

since its up though, it there a way to bind reduced mouse sensitivity to the 4.0x zoom function? or do i need a gaming mouse/keyboard for that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users