my newly constructed battlemech cockpit!

245 replies to this topic

#21 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Slash. Envy.

#22 NightFallsOnU

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationPlanet Robinson

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

I WANT IT!!!!!

If you build it They will come....

watch out Paul might not let you play in the Beta if you have a better setup than he who shall not be named.....
OH wait i said paul.... NNNNNOOOOOO

#23 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostBlack Dragon EnDrakus, on 01 April 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

this is truely epic. I've thought of building something like this for a long while, but alas, an apartment is not a place where such construction is really feasible.

Thanks again for all the compliments guys! EnDrakus, one of the tricky things about building this was that I had to make it easy to return things to the way they were. It's just about free standing, I made about 10-15 screw holes in the wall and that is it. It just sits on top of the floor and is not attached to the ceiling at all. In a couple hours I could remove it completely and the only sign it was ever there would be the small number of screw holes in the wall. If it was an apartment patch those and paint and you'd be all set to get your security deposit back =)

#24 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Awesome. Simply awesome.

Two things. a) you know you can buy black and yellow striped tape for about 5 bucks, right?

:ph34r: The seat coming in and out on runners? Brilliant idea! thieving it for mine....

#25 SovietKoshka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSomewhere betwixed the stars of the inner sphere and rim

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

HOT MOTHER F***ING DAMN THATS COOL.

HOT MOTHER F***ING DAMN THATS COOL.

#26 SovietKoshka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSomewhere betwixed the stars of the inner sphere and rim

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

dude you should make this into a buisness. lik fo rizzle

#27 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

O_O.... Oh my god.

Do you have any heating issues having 3 monitors, you, and anything else in the enclosed pit thats hot being sucked into your PC?

Edited by Blackfire1, 01 April 2012 - 11:53 PM.

#28 Izzy Morejon

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationNew Ivaarsen

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

:ph34r: Incredible dude. Props

#29 Black Dragon EnDrakus

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

View PostTurbo Corvair, on 01 April 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

Thanks again for all the compliments guys! EnDrakus, one of the tricky things about building this was that I had to make it easy to return things to the way they were. It's just about free standing, I made about 10-15 screw holes in the wall and that is it. It just sits on top of the floor and is not attached to the ceiling at all. In a couple hours I could remove it completely and the only sign it was ever there would be the small number of screw holes in the wall. If it was an apartment patch those and paint and you'd be all set to get your security deposit back =)

Hmm.. good point. My origional idea was more along the lines of some of those flight-sim pods that you see in the arcades sometimes, a fully freestanding, enclosed unit with, ideally, an integrated hydrolic or air powered piston system in the base that would acurately simulate pitch, yaw, and roll. That piece of mechanics would be quite costly though, and I have no idea how I'd get it to properly syncronise to what's going on in the game. Most likely if I did ever build the pod, it'd just be a static base with maybe a butt thumper setup like you have.

#30 StompyMcGee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

View Postpursang, on 01 April 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

+1

#31 Nav

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

That is an awesome setup. I was amazed at how much it looked like what I had in my mind about the way I wanted to build a simpit. :ph34r:

It's a joy to see what you have done! Hats off to you mate! It's like you read what was in my mind. I designed the basic structure in Google sketchup just to get a feel for the overall geometry.

The only thing I would probably do different if and when I ever get around to building my own, would be a centre column between the legs with a 7" to 10" LCD touch screen and maybe another two touch screens. I'm really waiting to see how they bring MWO out with regards to projecting instruments or MFD's on external displays.

You even have the same keyboard. But I have an X-52 joystick.

Once again, awesome job!! :angry:

Edited by Nav, 02 April 2012 - 03:12 AM.

#32 Kristarian

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationEarth, United States, Indiana

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

I must say, very nice indeed. Years ago I used to go to a mall that had the Professional mechpods, with full instrument panels and the like they were just overwhelming, but your setup is very nice I envy you.. Great job.
Thank you for sharing.

#33 McGunns

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

Oh wow, a very nice setup. It reminds me of the Steel Battalion days...

#34 Laveticus Draconis

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

View PostTurbo Corvair, on 01 April 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

Materials mostly of 1/4 ply/underlayment/luan which is $10 for a 4x8 sheet and 2x4's which are $2.18 or so each 8 feet long. This info is in my 2nd post on this thread =)

Only one vid card required if you have an AMD card, Nvidia requires 2 for this which is the ONLY reason I'm currently running on AMD. I have a HD 6950 and a core i5 2400.

Total cost not including the computer peripherals was probably $250-$300 but I did cheat by using as much stuff we already had as possible. This did INCLUDE studding out and enclosing a closet where there wasn't one.

Very nice setup, I love seeing more and more Eyefinity rigs! One thing; you might want to consider a second 6950. I don't think one is going to cut it for 5760x1080+ in MWO. Mechwarrior Living Legends runs like crap at that res on my I5-2500K at 4.6GHz and 2x 6950 2GB rig. It could be that MWLL is just poorly optimized for Eyefinity, who knows?

#35 Shai tan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

That IS cool, and like many.... I have had sort of the same thought. 1 I thought of was if the monitors should be butt up against each other showing 2 frame bezels side by side? Or should I put the bezels so they overlap showing only 1 bezel, thus showing more screen.

Get me?

Still a very cool setup. Mine would have be more open tho cause sometimes I like to throw the left leg up on the table when relaxing. LOL

#36 Trevnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

That. Is. Awesome. Props to you man!

#37 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

To be honest; I'm not digging it at all...

I MEAN WHERE THE HELL ARE YOUR FUZZY DICE HANGING FROM THE ROOF MAN!! COME ON!! THAT WOULD MAKE IT EPIC!!!!

#38 Der Kopfsammler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 239 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 02 April 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

To be honest; I'm not digging it at all...

I MEAN WHERE THE HELL ARE YOUR FUZZY DICE HANGING FROM THE ROOF MAN!! COME ON!! THAT WOULD MAKE IT EPIC!!!!

And the hulla girl.

#39 Sarriss

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

That is a sick set up, I wish I had that sort of know-how and ambition, sadly the furthest I go is building PCs, which I'm currently in the process of doing, I'd be lying if I said it was purely for the release of MW:O but I'd also be lying if I didn't say I was spending way more money on the build because of MW:O.

#40 Storm McIntyre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

Wow... Just... Freaking... Wow.....

Now, I have to go and have the medtech reattach my jaw that is currently on the floor!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users