my newly constructed battlemech cockpit!

245 replies to this topic

#41 Fizban Rayson

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

Way cool!!!

In the video you were talking about covering up the screw heads. Most home centers (Menards in my area) will sell adhesive discs that will stick over the screw head but still come off if you need to get to them.

Again that is jaw dropping!

#42 Thornn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts
  • LocationDown at the Mechit-Lube

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

I'm having trouble spotting the beer fridge...there is one in there somewhere, right?

#43 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

OMFG!!! NICE!

Is all I can think to say right now. Great job.

#44 AlanEsh

• The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

View PostVexgrave Lars, on 01 April 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Posted Image

New Category to be added - Built Mech Cockpit in House
You win!

No that'd be a punchout for the Nerd Card.

#45 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

/me wipes a tear from his eye

I'm proud of you, man

Now its time to engineer this into a kit so you can sell copies, catching the MW wave of 2012, and make a bazillion dollars.

#46 SirDenOfYork

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationSneads Ferry, North Carolina,U.S.A.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

I would kill for something like that, only kidding maybe wound.... :(

#47 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

nice :(

#48 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Well done!

#49 Tronchaser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

Nice going man, I thought of doing something similar too!

#50 HepatitisTK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSpace-Jello!

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

This is by far the most amazing thing i've seen in the video game world... perhaps the world period! However you did forget one... small... very important thing...

Where's the hula girl?! :(

Also... I may hire/enslave you to build me one. You shall be paid in puppies.

Edited by HepatitisTK, 02 April 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#51 TerminatorII

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

ok for everyone yammering on about eyefinity..... HOW do I get more than 2 screens into a single eyefinity screen? Im running 2x HD 6950's and want to put my three center screens into a single 3240x1920 display. also, is there a way to get Windows to reacognize more than 4 monitors?

#52 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostBlackfire1, on 01 April 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

O_O.... Oh my god.

Do you have any heating issues having 3 monitors, you, and anything else in the enclosed pit thats hot being sucked into your PC?

not at all, I planned for this =)

Allow me to explain the general idea of the design. There are two compartments, the cockpit, and the rest of the "closet". Both are pretty much sealed up except for the fans I installed. The backs of the monitors where the heat vents are are sealed off from the inside of the cockpit with foamrubber weatherstripping, but the backs are open to the outer and upper mechanicals airspace.

Cool air comes first into the cockpit through the 10" fan behind my right shoulder. The inlet for that fan is actually only a couple feet from my air conditioner so the air coming in here will be cool even in hot weather.

The cockpit area doesn't really have a whole lot of heat. Heat sources are myself, the screens (but not vents) on the monitors, and the AC adapters for the peripherals. All the lights are L.E.D. so they stay cool to the touch.

So the 10 inch fan creates a bit of a high pressure area in the cockpit because there is only one escape route it can follow. The escape route is the fan above my head which carries this (still cool) air through the computer "tower" chassis and over the CPU cooler.

The backs of EVERYTHING are open to the larger external airspace that is above the ceiling, below the armrest areas, and behind the walls. This airspace also has only one vent to outside the enclosure, and that is through the 21" fan mounted at the far top right of the enclosure (closet) which is a couple feet above the ceiling and all the stuff mounted up there.

So the 21 inch fan creates a slight vacuum in the outer compartment because the only opening has a fan pulling air outward. This results in an updraft of cool air into and through the outer enclosure from the cockpit enclosure. Also the 21 fan is located as high as possible because heat rises.

It's working great, I've checked and the temp stays nice and cool up there =)

#53 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Mason Grimm, no fuzzy dice for me. I want plastic toy dinosaurs on the dash. <3 anyone who appreciates the reference. The hula girl is a given, that'll be added asap... now how can I adapt a Hula girl to work off force feedback? =) Also /sad about this being moved to fan art, it's built for playing the game, and how many folks are going to find it here? I understand how it falls into fan art, but I thought it fit into general just fine too.

I'd love to get a second 6950 to boost performance but it'll be a while before I can spend that kind of money, as it is I'll be living on bread and water for months after building this thing!

I've posted a few times stating that I really hope I can run the 3D world on just my center screen (so it'll perform like single screen play) but put instrument panels/damage readouts/maps on the side screens. That would be my ideal solution I think. So far I find that in most games I can get good performance at 5760x1920 if I lower settings a bit and turn shadows to low or off. It does cause me pain to do this, I really like to set everything to max and forget it but that is not possible for me at that resolution. A 2nd 6950 might be possible in the fall, if my cars don't keep me too broke (ha.ha.ha., like that is gonna happen).

Shai'Tan, I have tried the overlapping bezels myself, the problem is that it throws off the perceived alignment of the monitors a lot. Unless you have a completely flat viewing angle the overlapped bezel causes everything to look out of alignment when you look at it. After playing around with eyefinity for over a year now I decided on this layout for the permanent mounts based on my personal experiences.

TerminatorII, sending you a PM now

Edited by Turbo Corvair, 02 April 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#54 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostAngelicon, on 02 April 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

No that'd be a punchout for the Nerd Card.

Only IF he had gotten it Prefab, this was custom.... Custom is mancard, like build a log cabin.

#55 Evil Ash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 182 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

You should start making these for market. Everyone here would buy one, even if it'll make them unemployed faster than drinking.

#56 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

I'm probably going to attempt to take this on with my 500 every two week weekend job pay..
but I have a few.. probably simple questions..
what kind of computer case was used on top and did you move the power and reset switches and remount them yourself?
how did you get your router power switches and stuff in the top left?
how did you get the status lights and stuff on the top right?
where did you get the voice for start up and shut down and what was your method to implement them into windows?

#57 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Amazing...

But for some reason it makes me feel claustrophobic. :(

#58 Xyph3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 213 posts
  • LocationRight behind you, in his AC/20 Raven

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Damn freggin Awesome!
I´m envious........

.....for real.......

...gotta have such an epic thing, too....

...envy grows.........

...aarrgh *********! NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

.... ok, you just made me and my buddy sit down and consider how to install a dual seated copy of this in our new apartment :(
(after fitting some ducttape around our heads to keep our jaws from smashing back on the floor...)

#59 damage

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Seething with jealousy here...

#60 RogueMae13

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

One moment, all the f***'s i have never given have just come rushing back in a big, annoying swarm, my jaw is on the floor, and I'm scared to come face to face with you, for I shall not stand a chance when you have such a wide field of view. Unless I get to pilot a Shadow Cat, in which case you should be worried ;D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users