MechCommander 2 - penetration mechanic

7 replies to this topic

#1 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

So, I've been playing around in MechCommander 2, and a term in the game that I've seen a couple times but never had explained is 'penetration.' I've looked at some guides online and some have mentioned penetration but have not told me anything that would it allow me to factor it into how I can compare weapons against eachother.

Anyone know how this works? Based on in-game language used I'm guessing 'more damage per strike (rather than averaged damage over time) means more penetration,' but that doesn't give me something that I can work with really.

Posted Image
Pic is MC2 Urbie, of course.

#2 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostMotionless, on 02 April 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

So, I've been playing around in MechCommander 2, and a term in the game that I've seen a couple times but never had explained is 'penetration.' I've looked at some guides online and some have mentioned penetration but have not told me anything that would it allow me to factor it into how I can compare weapons against eachother.

Anyone know how this works? Based on in-game language used I'm guessing 'more damage per strike (rather than averaged damage over time) means more penetration,' but that doesn't give me something that I can work with really.

Posted Image
Pic is MC2 Urbie, of course.

I think it means you want to stock up on soap on a rope, man. :mellow:

#3 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

I was googling now, 4 years later, for the same question, but found no answer, only this unanswered thread.

So I'll up it, in full knowledge of it's age.

Anyone with an answer now?

#4 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:32 PM

I would guess it means certain weapons have an armor piercing bonus / bonus to damaging internal components rather than external armor.

That said I don't remember hearing about this being a thing.

#5 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:22 AM

And where does one know if they have?
I mean, the source code is open for 10 years now, people have to know more by now!

If I can get a better DPM with several smaller lasers than with one larger one (and do not care about range), do I have to assume that they penetrate worse and stay with the latter?

#6 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:34 PM

I see penetration mentioned twice here, but unfortunately no specifics.

https://www.gamefaqs...er-2/faqs/13705

I would guess its based on weapon type.

100% of the heat energy a laser emitted would need to be conducted from the outer layer of armor to the inner layer of internals to inflict damage. This implies no penetration occurs until the outer armor layer is slagged.

A high speed gauss round delivers kinetic energy rather than heat. This means if its speed and mass per armor surface area is enough to defeat the resistance of the armor, it can penetrate with a loss of some energy, the rest of its energy in turn damaging internal components. Rounds with high speed are known to pierce armor. There is a certain threshold point where at a certain speed a round will pierce armor.

Mech Commander 2 has been open sourced for so long I downloaded the source code two or three times & never did anything with it.

Whatever the penetration mechanic is, I guess it has never been significant enough for people to look into.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 17 October 2016 - 09:34 PM.

#7 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:54 AM

OK, so penetration is a probability, lasers have supposedly none and AC some? What about MGs? They are mentioned in this context (I found the same document when googling prior), they would have to be even less effective against armour than non-penetrating lasers, which fit badly to the formulation in the linked document.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users