Crash At Login, Fread Error

v1.0.142

194 replies to this topic

#141 Soulgorger

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Curious... Did/do any of you have any other games that use the Crytek engine?

#142 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Lol, Souldgorger, you beat me to it. Yeah, we're working with the engine makers to try and track this down. They asked specifically about the CryENGINE SDK, but I think it should be more generalized than that right now. So, those of you with the FRead problem, have you installed any CryTek stuff? Like the FreeSDK from CryDev, Crisis 1/2, etc.

#143 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 15 November 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

Lol, Souldgorger, you beat me to it. Yeah, we're working with the engine makers to try and track this down. They asked specifically about the CryENGINE SDK, but I think it should be more generalized than that right now. So, those of you with the FRead problem, have you installed any CryTek stuff? Like the FreeSDK from CryDev, Crisis 1/2, etc.

I have not.

#144 Captain Greene

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

I have no Crytek stuff installed.
Would not be adverse to installing something if there is something specifically you'd like me to try.

#145 Hashan

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

this is outstanding, i have not got anywhere with this. after hours. and multiple installs. updating windows. restarting, restarting.... and i just reinstalled windows... It is deffinetly at your end. i dont know what to do... i give up, have fun with your game....

Edited by Hashan, 16 November 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#146 Hideki

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationSinsheim Germany

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

after the last patch im able to start a game and was even able to play 1 match..
but the fread bug still exsists and the game crashes after loading a map now.
for me who has only little time to play and wants to play a fast round its impossible to spend that much efford to get it work every time i want to play.

-> q9550
-> 560ti
-> 4gig ram
-> samsung 830 ssd 256gb

after running 7zip -> objects.pak is damaged

Edited by Hideki, 17 November 2012 - 04:22 AM.

#147 IKEAhardWood

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

Just got the issue again... this time 7 zip doesnt indicate any broken pak files O_O well i am re downloading each of them starting with the objects. Now please someone tell me this is a new problem and not some year old propblem that the devs cant still fix.

Edit:

Wait just a moment... i just noticed that the game started acting up, the moment my disk defrag was done... Am i to take this as an indication that the game cant handle a disk defrag O_O(would not be the first time, and dont feel bad, even valve has made that mistake) if so... how in the hell did it get past the "screening"

System specs(the ones that matter in this case)

Win 7 ultimate, 64b
HDD[Spin drive] WD Caviar Blue 750gb
HDD[SS Drive] OCZ Ibis 160gb
Graphics card: XfX GTX285 XXX Edition, Driver ver.285.62(Last driver that works properly with my card, Nvidia still has not fixed the screen flicker problem on boot up[Screen flickers till you manage to change resolution])
4GB ram 1333mhz underclocked to 1033mhz to better work with the E7300 core 2 due 2,66ghz processor. My system should meet the specsc of the game, and i run the game with everything at medium, native res(1920x1080) and with vsynch for constant 50 fps.

Edited by IKEAhardWood, 18 November 2012 - 04:22 AM.

#148 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

I'd also like to ask, is does anyone have problems when downloading the game? MIne is constantly crashing while patching... Makes it really hard to actually get the game up so I can test and of the fixes they suggest!

#149 Scrilla

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

I started getting the "FRead did not read expected number of byte from file, only 128 of 0 bytes read" tonight.

Tested the files and found "C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Objects.pak: CRC failed in Objects\mechs\skins\founders_a\catapult_founders_a_body_spc.dds. The file is corrupt".

Going to try replacing the Objects pak and see if that fixes it.

#150 IKEAhardWood

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

View PostHobo Dan, on 18 November 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

I'd also like to ask, is does anyone have problems when downloading the game? MIne is constantly crashing while patching... Makes it really hard to actually get the game up so I can test and of the fixes they suggest!

sadly,yes...

#151 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostIKEAhardWood, on 18 November 2012 - 04:12 AM, said:

Just got the issue again... this time 7 zip doesnt indicate any broken pak files O_O well i am re downloading each of them starting with the objects. Now please someone tell me this is a new problem and not some year old propblem that the devs cant still fix. Edit: Wait just a moment... i just noticed that the game started acting up, the moment my disk defrag was done... Am i to take this as an indication that the game cant handle a disk defrag O_O(would not be the first time, and dont feel bad, even valve has made that mistake) if so... how in the hell did it get past the "screening" System specs(the ones that matter in this case) Win 7 ultimate, 64b HDD[Spin drive] WD Caviar Blue 750gb HDD[SS Drive] OCZ Ibis 160gb Graphics card: XfX GTX285 XXX Edition, Driver ver.285.62(Last driver that works properly with my card, Nvidia still has not fixed the screen flicker problem on boot up[Screen flickers till you manage to change resolution]) 4GB ram 1333mhz underclocked to 1033mhz to better work with the E7300 core 2 due 2,66ghz processor. My system should meet the specsc of the game, and i run the game with everything at medium, native res(1920x1080) and with vsynch for constant 50 fps.

Do you mean you had the game running while the defrag was going, or that you waited until after the defrag was complete and then noticed the FRead error?

#152 Kramar

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

I also experienced this error with the newest patch. Not the first time I've seen the error either. Previously I've also experience a lot of issues with the patcher crashing mid way, tho that seems to be fixed now.

I run Win 7 64 bit and the free version of Avast.

Used 7zip and found that the object.pak had corrupted (the dragon files and river city map). Re-downloaded just that file and it too was corrupt, only in different files (the atlas this time) . I disabled all the avast shields and tried again and this time it worked. Could be a coincidence but I'd say its worth turning off anti-virus just to be sure.

#153 D1G17AL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 103 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

This is the first time I have seen this error. I ran 7-zip and it found within the forest colony level.pak the terrain\cover.ctc file to be broken. I am inclined to wonder with Ikeahardwood about the defrag issue, because I have been running the game with Razer GameBoost and that allows defrag of individual programs, I defragged before playing tonight and after several laggy games I got the Fread error. I don't use Avast, I do use AVG and have never encountered an issue with my anti-virus conflicting with games.

Edited by D1G17AL, 21 November 2012 - 01:15 AM.

#154 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostKramar, on 21 November 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

I disabled all the avast shields and tried again and this time it worked. Could be a coincidence but I'd say its worth turning off anti-virus just to be sure.

Did you test immediately after downloading? Or did you wait for the game to error, and then test the file?

It isn't logical for it to be the Antivirus. If your antivirus were that eager to corrupt files, you'd have corrupt files all over the place. Even if you want to narrow it down to just the PAK files -- those are merely bog-standard ZIP files with a different extension. If your AV were at fault, you'd have frequent issues with ZIP files.

The only common denominator is MW:O.... too bad it's not a particularly common bug. It'd be easier for them to track down if they could replicate it.

#155 Ghost Inc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 136 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Got the error again.
Then, i defragmanted (Auslogics).
Then, i exchanged objects.pak and textures.pak. Worked well, but nonetheless an effort I actually do not want to take.

#156 Wired

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'm getting this error now too, I was able to play all day before taking a 4 hour break.

Strangely my situation fits some of the asked about symptoms - Game is on a SSD, installed the Cryengine SDK....Also the modified date on my objects.pak(which came up corrupt btw) is before the frontend file.

Edited by Wired, 21 November 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#157 Kramar

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

View Postltwally, on 21 November 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Did you test immediately after downloading? Or did you wait for the game to error, and then test the file?

It isn't logical for it to be the Antivirus. If your antivirus were that eager to corrupt files, you'd have corrupt files all over the place. Even if you want to narrow it down to just the PAK files -- those are merely bog-standard ZIP files with a different extension. If your AV were at fault, you'd have frequent issues with ZIP files.

The only common denominator is MW:O.... too bad it's not a particularly common bug. It'd be easier for them to track down if they could replicate it.

Yes, after reading this thread I tested the file straight away after downloading both times. BTW, I also used chrome browser to get the files. As I said, could be a coincidence. I also noticed that when I first downloaded the single object.pak file, it was a different size to the one in the game directory.

What you say sounds logical enough. However when it comes to software, I believe its wise to stick with the engineering problem solving mindset. Start by testing the easy and simple possibilities first and work your way to the more complex.

I'm not so sure on the whole defrag theory. I patched and played straight after it completed. My defrag only runs overnight. In my case, having downloaded the single .pak file and tested the file straight after download, the file obviously corrupted during the download. Sadly, that still leaves quite a few possibilities tho.

#158 IKEAhardWood

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostKrist Smith, on 20 November 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

Do you mean you had the game running while the defrag was going, or that you waited until after the defrag was complete and then noticed the FRead error?

problem appeared after defrag, game was not running at the same time, not even on the basic client level.

#159 Eldrion

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts
  • LocationOwning the Night

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Having the same problem as everyone else but no running Avast AV. No defrag at work either. Updated both the Objects.pak and textures.pak. Started the game with my Dragon 1C on desert like map (name escapes me) and crashed to the mechlab/home screen within the first 3 minutes of the game. No Alpha strike used during the match. All of my crashes have occurred with my Dragons and my Catapult on the deset map as well as the Lost Colony map. Testing a third mech before going through a full re-install. I did not experience this crash until the last mini patch that the client downloads this week (26-29NOV). Game was running fine prior to the patch other than the 10fps loss that everyone seems to be reporting since open beta began.

All mechs crashing on all maps now after installing new PAK files.

Edited by Eldrion, 24 November 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#160 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 15 November 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

I believe I played Crysis, Crysis: Warhead, and Crysis 2 on this machine. No issues.

View PostIKEAhardWood, on 18 November 2012 - 04:12 AM, said:

Wait just a moment... i just noticed that the game started acting up, the moment my disk defrag was done...

HDD[SS Drive] OCZ Ibis 160gb

Hope you're not defrag'ing your SSD. There's only the tiniest of performance boosts from doing so, and on the flip side, you put quite a few write-cycles on it for that insignificant return.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users