87 replies to this topic

#41 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

Sorry but no! They need to fix the game before they worry about your connection. You don't like don't play that's what I'm always told on the forums by this crap community. Mainly by overseas people too.

#42 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

Fix what? Rubberbanding mechs? People dropping on connection? Lagshooting?

Guess how many of them become non-issues when everyone has a sub-50ms ping.

#43 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

View PostKerenskyClone, on 21 January 2013 - 01:49 AM, said:

Need I go on? Why is MW:O the odd man out?

because it is still early beta and doesn't have enough players online at any one time to justify splitting the player base

the devs have stated that partially for legal reasons they are unlikely to be able to co-host international players as a single community and that regional servers will have to be sharded... meaning that if you want to start getting "match not found" at anything other than prime time playing hours, regional servers are a great idea!

I for one will not be transferring my account to euro servers if they ever get created, I'd much rather play with minimal lag on populated servers where my team mates are, then get hived off to 2nd class citizen servers closer to me (from experience - euro servers are not usually much better than the current ping I get to canada anyway)

if anything, Australia / asia servers should be first as they have the worst issues

Edited by Apoc1138, 21 January 2013 - 01:59 AM.

#44 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

View PostApoc1138, on 21 January 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

the devs have stated that partially for legal reasons they are unlikely to be able to co-host international players as a single community and that regional servers will have to be sharded..

Do go on. So they're able to sell the licenced product to anyone under the sun, yet the instance of the game that people connect to is forced into division by legals?

#45 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

View PostInertiaman, on 21 January 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

Yes them Asians can't stand a giant f2p robot.

ELO - that simply gives each player a universal, adjusted PSR. What's the problem checking this when someone enters a queue regardless of region. It's a system that works in several games, over several regions right now. This isn't speculation.

http://www.heroesofn...th.com/players/

In the meantime, and as far as I can see in absence of any good reasons on your part why separate regions would be a bad thing, everyone suffers today in lieu of your fears of a sub-standard tomorrow. It makes no sense.

What am i supposed to be looking at in that link? it's a blank table?

As to the last comment, it entirely depends on the implementation, if you allow regional movment which is a good thing for us, it has the potential to impact on clan wars further down the line, if teams up and leave to play on another server permanently you weaken that region, so from a company aspect they would prefer to keep people region locked to ensure server population stability which is bad for us the players that don't want to be region locked.

The game is perfectly playable to a high standard on pings of up to 150MS, beyond that and yes it becomes significantly harder

If im honest, i think they are waiting on netcode, and the state re-wind system before they make their choice, IF and its a big IF they pull off the state re-wind system well it has the potential to be great perhaps more so for no NA based players.

View PostInertiaman, on 21 January 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

Fix what? Rubberbanding mechs? People dropping on connection? Lagshooting?

Guess how many of them become non-issues when everyone has a sub-50ms ping.

I would urge you to talk to some of those Sub 50MS ping players, i know my unit has 3 of them, and they still get rubber banding mechs, and no damage, low ping is great, if the actual game based netcode was not so bad.

Edited by DV McKenna, 21 January 2013 - 02:07 AM.

#46 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

View PostInertiaman, on 21 January 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

Do go on. So they're able to sell the licenced product to anyone under the sun, yet the instance of the game that people connect to is forced into division by legals?

that's what they've said, and I understand the reasoning... not being privy to their actual contract I can't argue for or against their position, but go ahead and troll up an argument if you want, it's not one I'm going to get drawn into

#47 BFalcon

• 1,120 posts
  • LocationEgremont, Cumbria, UK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

View PostFrosted, on 29 October 2012 - 09:02 PM, said:

Uh, no Quebec is in Europe my friend.

No actually I care about my European friends I want them to enjoy the game lag free like I do.

Not to burst your bubble, but often get a 130 ping here in the UK...

If the ping's high, it's either poor equipment, poor connection or deliberate. One example might be a player in the UK using one of the "free" or low-cost ISPs - they often "connection share" within community blocks, so they might find their 8Mb connection is more like a 1Mb or lower at peak times, in effect. Even 20Mb or higher will find the same problem if they're on a no-frills connection. I'm on Plusnet, FYI, with the higher band broadband package and the "pro" addon, hitting 7.4 Mb/s.

Edit: I'd like to see an Aussie/Russian server to pick up the workload for those guys who REALLY cannot keep their pings down though... some of those guys just can't get the connection to the US that we can here in the UK.

Edited by BFalcon, 21 January 2013 - 02:10 AM.

#48 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

View PostApoc1138, on 21 January 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

that's what they've said, and I understand the reasoning... not being privy to their actual contract I can't argue for or against their position, but go ahead and troll up an argument if you want, it's not one I'm going to get drawn into

It's not really your position I find incredible. It's the hilarious notion that there are any legal barriers to instancing players out to local servers based on region. I'm not attempting to shoot the messenger.

#49 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

View PostBFalcon, on 21 January 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

Not to burst your bubble, but often get a 130 ping here in the UK...

Which is about the same as i get on a 60MB/s fibre connection, i achieve the correct speed on every test and download, but it's only bandwidth at the end of the day, that can't resolve distance too server.

For clarity what im saying, is the connection speed is only part of the equation, like you correctly point out the equipment and backbone of particular ISP's is a bigger factor, and it's something that will effect even regional servers.

Edited by DV McKenna, 21 January 2013 - 02:18 AM.

#50 BFalcon

• 1,120 posts
  • LocationEgremont, Cumbria, UK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 21 January 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

Why do you assume the bulk of the player base is not consolidated in one region? Im pretty positive the Asian server would be very quiet for this game. The NA/EU ones would likely be ok, although i have never found EU Mech units to be of the same skill level as the top tier NA units.

Maybe because the Asian community right now has terrible pings and so would not want to play regularly - give them a decent server and they might...

As for the Euro units? Some of our best are UK/Eu based, thanks...

View PostDV McKenna, on 21 January 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

Which is about the same as i get on a 60MB/s fibre connection, i achieve the correct speed on every test and download, but it's only bandwidth that can't resolve distance.

Yeah, not saying that faster is better by a long shot...

Mind you, wish we had a choice of fibre up here... :(

#51 Pecosdude

• Pip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 15 posts

I am doing quite well with 300-400ms ping.
I use ballistics, lasers and missiles weapons.

However, It is tiring having to adjust my positon, movement and timing to compensate for the lag.

#52 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

View PostDV McKenna, on 21 January 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

What am i supposed to be looking at in that link? it's a blank table?

It is - but it serves as an access point to the database of very time-critical game that uses an ELO system over four regions yet allows players to traverse at will. It's an example of an entirely practical place for MWO to end up should it decide to actually move in any direction at all.

View PostDV McKenna, on 21 January 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

As to the last comment, it entirely depends on the implementation, if you allow regional movment which is a good thing for us, it has the potential to impact on clan wars further down the line, if teams up and leave to play on another server permanently you weaken that region, so from a company aspect they would prefer to keep people region locked to ensure server population stability which is bad for us the players that don't want to be region locked.

You're conflating the topology of MMO's with that of an FPS/match system. A region doesn't equal a server. A region is simply a tag that each instance server has in order to players to filter their destination. There really is no brick wall here....and I'm not sure why you keep insinuating as such. Additionally I'm not entirely sure why factions wouldn't have their progress (whatever shape that may take) tracked as a whole according to the stats that come out of each region. Why would there be any difference. You don't need to split global chat or friends list unless a player wants to. They don't care if they suffer latency. The match does.

#53 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

View PostInertiaman, on 21 January 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

Yes them Asians can't stand a giant f2p robot.

Somewhat true.
Simulation genre just isn't well receive by the player mass over here, there are niche player around but hard to justify launching it here.
Twitch shooter are preferred, that is why you can find at least 5 different Counter Strike clone in service over here.
Meanwhile WoT SEA is the worst performing server with possibly lowest population compare to WoT in other region.

MWO is still in early beta testing and not yet ready for expansion into other regions, not until issue like match making, netcode, new player learning curve, end game content are hammer out.
Unlike that other publisher would want to license the game for their region at its current state. :(

#54 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 29 October 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

The only time a international MMO got a english server in asia (read : not china) was warhammer online. And they were removed like a year later because the game tanked as a ******, buggy WOW clone. We will never get an asian server unless PGI gets the balls to do it, because they will probably look at WOW and say "Oh, WOW is so successful but even they don't have an english server in Asia, that means it must be impossible."

The Dota 2 SEA server is bawss though. 90ms for Dota 2 games :(

#55 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 21 January 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

For clarity what im saying, is the connection speed is only part of the equation, like you correctly point out the equipment and backbone of particular ISP's is a bigger factor, and it's something that will effect even regional servers.

For sure - that chap in the above post uses Plusnet for example. Their layer 3 is largely a total mess. Noone should be suggestion that regionals are a panacea, but christ they can't hurt and unless someone at PGI is very poor at handling contracts, they shouldn't cost more than continuing to host a growing playerbase in NAM. You've got to have the slots either way.

#56 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

View PostInertiaman, on 21 January 2013 - 02:19 AM, said:

You're conflating the topology of MMO's with that of an FPS/match system. A region doesn't equal a server. A region is simply a tag that each instance server has in order to players to filter their destination. There really is no brick wall here....and I'm not sure why you keep insinuating as such. Additionally I'm not entirely sure why factions wouldn't have their progress (whatever shape that may take) tracked as a whole according to the stats that come out of each region. Why would there be any difference. You don't need to split global chat or friends list unless a player wants to. They don't care if they suffer latency. The match does.

What PGI have already said, each region will have their own servers, they have as yet not found hosting partners in the EU or Asia.
Each region would be region locked (P2 Transfer i bet), but your free to set up accounts on a non home region.
Each region would have it's own separate not linked version of clan wars, each region will be different in it's outcomes.

That is what they have said about it thus far for whatever reason's they came too they have been highly quiet on the subject for some time.
If you allow people to freely transfer between regions, you would find people will transfer to the busier regions, you see it across many games.

Regional play is a good thing, just not in the way it is going to be implemented at the last mentions of it.

View PostInertiaman, on 21 January 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

For sure - that chap in the above post uses Plusnet for example. Their layer 3 is largely a total mess. Noone should be suggestion that regionals are a panacea, but christ they can't hurt and unless someone at PGI is very poor at handling contracts, they shouldn't cost more than continuing to host a growing playerbase in NAM. You've got to have the slots either way.

True, but largely depends on the ISP's tiering partners, take WoW-EU for example, hosted in France and Telia are the peering partner, pings even from UK to these closer servers are still typically 100Ms average, and Telia has sooo many problems multiple times a year.

You have to look at the technology end to end, and in all honestly from the UK i tend to have better experiences playing on NA based servers than European ones.

#57 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 21 January 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

If you allow people to freely transfer between regions, you would find people will transfer to the busier regions, you see it across many games.

If PGI are talking about regional servers in any form other than a simple matchmaking segmentation, I have no idea why. And again - can cite tens of games that don't feel the need to adhere to any such model, persistent progression or not.

#58 Felix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

Here a list of some Free2Play games that have regional servers:

World of Tanks,
Planetside2,
World of Warplanes (Beta)
Age of Conan (recently F2P)
League of Legends
Dungeons and Dragons Online

Because, since MWO is already hurting for money throwing up extra servers would only compound the problem and drive the game into the grave even more quickly?

#59 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

Here a list of some Free2Play games that have regional servers:

World of Tanks,
Planetside2,
World of Warplanes (Beta)
Age of Conan (recently F2P)
League of Legends
Dungeons and Dragons Online

Didn't Conan flop harder than a Magikarp out of water once people realized the game polished stopped after level 20? :( League is huge with like 1.3m++ concurrent users in SEA. Saw some WoT posters but meh. Most people I know don't like it here. A friend of mine installed it in his internet cafe and the kids just kept playing DOTA 1, Counter-strike 1.6 and Special Forces (FPS). :lol:

Whatever DOTA 2 uses for the SEA connections it is made out of pure love <3 :(

#60 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

A server in Moscow would be cool. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users