• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostJiyio, on 29 October 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

what mech do you advise i get first? O.o

In addition to jenner, you might try the Centurion-A. It's a good introduction to customising in the mechlab, since you can fit ballistics, energy and missiles on it, and it can work as either a fast harasser or a slower line 'Mech.

#22 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostJiyio, on 29 October 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

what mech do you advise i get first? O.o

A Jenner, or a Cicada! The commando is too fragile for my tastes. If you like lights that is (or very fast mediums that is in the case of the cicada). There will be guides up soon with the hardpoints available to each (which weapon types you can mount where, and how many) for each variant, which has a large bearing on how each actually performs. I enjoy running them, however, as each will also give you some room for expansion; expensive stuff like Endo Steel, XL engines and DHS make them all the more viable, and give you something to work towards. I prefer the cicada atm, (the 2a - i THINK it has 6 energy hardpoints, aren't able to check right now) - fill it with MLAS, or SLAS if you don''t have double heatsinks) as it has more armor, and can move at around 130kph with an XL325.

Being lights, you almost always make money with them, unless you cram them with expensive upgrades. If it turns out you don't like them, you haven't shelled out a whole lot to buy them either, so not a huge loss there.

The JR7F has 6 energy hardpoints in the arms, and is popular as you can mount 6 small lasers there and toss out some respectable damage targeting the backs of poor, ponderous assault mechs.

Also, piloting light mechs is a very good way to build skill with the game, especially when knockdowns return and defecate in everyone's cereal again.

Have fun!

#23 Vaulden

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNM, USA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

View PostAshrok, on 29 October 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

Don't quit matches when you die, you don't get XP for that.

This is not true; if you quit the match you will receive your XP (if not in a trial mech) and C-Bills when your mech becomes available again (i.e. shortly after that match is over). You are able to select quite match and join another match using a different mech. I verified this was still the case before composing this post (this is something I tested 3 or 4 times during the closed beta).

Edited by Vaulden, 29 October 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#24 Dance Dance Ninja

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Because you only earn 25% money in a trial mech, it is better to get a real mech ASAP, even with the repair bills that come with non-trial mechs.

My suggestion is that you save up and buy a Jenner. It's a great mech to just run stock standard, although you might give some though to increasing the armor on the -D and -K varients. A fully destroyed stock jenner will run you 10k-20k c-bills in repairs, which is a lot less than what you lose with the -75% earnings on a trial mech, even on a loss.

After that you can save up for you fun mech/mechs.

#25 Gabrielpendragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

What you pilot depends on what you want to do. run fast and be a pain to the enemy run scouts, mediums and heavies do most the work on the battlefield, while assaults are bullet magnets. Sure they have a lot of firepower, but they are slow.

Thus far the profile section isn't implemented yet so the picture doesn't change. A phrase you will get used to here, it is still a beta :P Sorry guys he had to hear it sooner or later. Don't take the crap from those of us that were in the closed beta, we have been working hard and are kinda short tempered because of it.

You only lose like 20% in trials from what you would get. 100k wins become 80k wins...

#26 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

View PostWindies, on 29 October 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

You will not gain XP in trial mechs. You will gain 25% c-bills every match that you use trial mechs. You can save up your C-bills to then buy your own mech which will earn 100% xp and 100% c-bills.

I think the website is boogered right now so you can't change your profile stuff right now I dont think.

You will gain EIGHTY percent, not 25%.

#27 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostRedmond Spiderhammer, on 29 October 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

Thanks!

Welcome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users