23 replies to this topic

#1 CaveHermit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGalactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

This workaround is actually a physical workaround.
1. Load TAG onto Mech.
2. Save Mech.
3. Ready Mech.
4. Launch / Drop.
5. Deselect current grouping for TAG.
6. Put TAG on Weapon group 6
7. Jam coin into keyboard for weapon group 6.
8. TAG is now on constant auto-fire.
9. Enjoy TAG bonuses from 180 M to 450ish M.
10 . Collect spotter bonuses.

This trick also works for any thing you want to auto fire..

#2 Dan vuong

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Warning: not recommended on Pulse Lasers.

#3 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

You could always use a programmable control device or macro program to repeat it so you don't damage your keyboard with said coin. That said, it might be good if TAG had an ON/OFF switch rather than click-and-hold because of the way it's used.

#4 charov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

I use a macro on my CH Pro Throttle to toggle the autofire for group #6. Faster and easier than risk to damage the keyboard (that I don't use, btw).

#5 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Same here. I use a simple macro for keeping the 6 Key pressed... the troubble just starts when I try to type anything in chat or when the match is over. I have to reset the macros every time so that it doesnt type 666&&&&&&G&&&&&&L&&&666666666.

Does anyone know a way for a Logitec keyboard Macro to be able to toggle on and off?

#6 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

Isn't it easier to just add the TAG to every weapon group? That way you can just go about your business, and as soon as you fire on something, you also TAG it?

E.g. from my COM-1D:
Weapon group 1: LL, TAG
Weapon group 2: 2xSSRM-2, TAG
Weapon group 3: TAG

Notice how it's in a group of its own as well? That's because I might want to fire it on its own.

#7 Xeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

View Poststjobe, on 29 October 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

Isn't it easier to just add the TAG to every weapon group? That way you can just go about your business, and as soon as you fire on something, you also TAG it?

E.g. from my COM-1D:
Weapon group 1: LL, TAG
Weapon group 2: 2xSSRM-2, TAG
Weapon group 3: TAG

Notice how it's in a group of its own as well? That's because I might want to fire it on its own.

Not really as there are times you hide in the bush not wanting to alert the enemy you are tagging them. Tag needs to be a toggle on or off.

#8 ZivyTerc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationBehind you...

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

Good thing they didn't implement TAG correctly :] If they did, missiles would home on the spot where you're aiming, regardles if it is a rock or a mech.

#9 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

View PostZivyTerc, on 30 October 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

Good thing they didn't implement TAG correctly :] If they did, missiles would home on the spot where you're aiming, regardles if it is a rock or a mech.

Yup... tieing your shoelaces in an Atlas could be really suicidal then ;) .

Adding the tag to every weapon group is a good workaround, but doesnt work in every situation. For LRM lock you need an approximate lock in the general direction of the opponent, not direct center torso lock.

you want to keep TAG on the enemy as long as possible. If you stop shooting to cool down you are loosing a potential part of teh TAG effeciveness. Being able to toggle it on or off would be nice.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 30 October 2012 - 06:52 AM.

#10 Crashking

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 75 posts
  • LocationIn Game

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

View PostZivyTerc, on 30 October 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

Well if they were implementing TAG correctly .. it would only work for the Arrow IV Missile Artillery system... but heck I guess this might depend on how it may have been updated over the years. The above is my Battletech Compendium - Rules of Warfare.. though I can't find a copyright date in it.

I am with you that you don't it on constantly as its like firing any weapon.. has the chance you will be noticed.

Also if they were doing things by the book we wouldn't have half the recon data that is shared in the game here without C3 modules.

#11 Jacob Dieffenbach

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

View PostCrashking, on 30 October 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

Well if they were implementing TAG correctly .. it would only work for the Arrow IV Missile Artillery system... but heck I guess this might depend on how it may have been updated over the years. The above is my Battletech Compendium - Rules of Warfare.. though I can't find a copyright date in it.

I am with you that you don't it on constantly as its like firing any weapon.. has the chance you will be noticed.

Also if they were doing things by the book we wouldn't have half the recon data that is shared in the game here without C3 modules.

I think we're likely to see a lot of that recon data disappear as they implement more pilot modules and the actual C3 equipment.

Before those things are implemented, it's important for PGI to see how they will effect the game--you can't balance the game around no recon data, then implement C3 equipment and expect everything to work out fine. Better to assume advanced recon is the baseline, and then once you actually add the gear, make it optional.

#12 paladin yst

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 238 posts
  • LocationTerra Inner Sphere

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

7. Jam coin into keyboard for weapon group 6.

Some streetsmart there, its actually a smart idea and really works lol

#13 Cornelius V Osmond

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOn your internets soon™

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:26 AM

1. Buy gamer keyboard
2. use driver to define toggle key
3. ???
4. Profit

service trolld stop
anyone?

Edited by Cornelius V Osmond, 31 October 2012 - 05:28 AM.

#14 Artificer

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

Another drawback with the coin workaround is that it doesn't reactivate after you use the full map or check the score sheet. It does reactivate after shutdowns at least.

I still use it but will look into gamer keyboards.

#15 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Or you could just have a mouse with a thumb button on the side like mine and hold it down while you're engaging. That way you don't have TAG going off the entire time you are closing to meet the enemy.

-k

#16 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but programmed one of my buttons on my Razer Nostromo to toggle on/off for weapon group 6... threw a TAG on one of my Mechs... hopefully that'll do the trick... (then again, never made a macro before... yeah yeah... I'm old... now get off'a my lawn... :) )

#17 Kharn Nete

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

I have TAG assigned to each group where I do have lasers or balistic weapons, AND to the group 6, using <> key (between left shift and Z in spanish keyboards) as alternative for it. This way I'm always TAGing while I'm harassing the enemy, and if I don't want to fire my weapons to TAG I use my bored little finger.

#18 CaveHermit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGalactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

Lentil.. Love the elegance of your code variation of the Autofire. Mine has the feel of using a hammer on the Critial warning siren, Yours has the feel cut off being wired to a wireless key fob.

#19 Lentil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationCazenovia, NY

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 05 November 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

Is it possible to bind another button to turn off the TAG?

Something like:

<action name="m_wg6" onRelease="1" keyboard="7"/> ??? ["]

I had the same thought, but sadly, this didn't work. I speculate that whatever is parsing this file ignores any additional entries for the same action name. I remember one of the patch notes a few weeks (months?) back saying something about 'preventing multiple key bindings'. In my opinion, I'm not sure why that's something to be prevented, but I digress.

We should hope that PGI implements a 'toggle' option for weapon groups. Perhaps a separate mode similar to the way chain fire is implemented. I could see machine guns also benefiting from a toggle control rather than mashing the button. At some point, we're going to have to stop editing the game files to get what we want. :)

Edited by Lentil, 05 November 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#20 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

At least for now, editing files is all we`ve got. And it works.
You don`t have to turn TAG off anyways: if you want to sneak, just point it to the ground.

I found out that not having to press a button constantly improves my accuracy with other weapons, and I can concentrate on using 3 other weapon groups.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users