Freeze Frame/disk Access Bug (Mainly On River City) But On Other Maps Too...

v1.0.134

15 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:22 AM

River City is unplayable almost now. A month ago before the Cry engine update, it was fine. Totally playable and even enjoyable at times. Now it is frustration to the point of wanting to nuke the map from orbit or check off a box to never play on it.

What is the problem? The disk access bug. Now, for those that will argue--it isn't a bug, well, per tech support it is.

They just don't know exactly what it is.

What happens is framerate will be okay but if I turn my mech to look in particular directions, my SSD will then go nuts and start caching all sorts of stuff and my framerate will... "lock up" i.e. I get to look at a pretty picture for several seconds and then it will start animating again after teleporting me. Some of these locks can be five to ten seconds long. Others are a second or two.

Any of these locks are annoying.

On some drops the locks occur every few seconds. On others, only when I look at either teams spawn (mainly the southern, lower spawn in the bottom corner edge of the map of that spawn).

Now, I don't have a great system, a Q9450, 4 gigs ram and 2x 260 GTXs. Thing is--it isn't me. A clanmate of mine has a i5 system (super fast), 16 gigs ram and the absolute top of the line ATI card right now. He also gets it! The only difference with him is that it drops to 4 fps and he's porked all round periodically like me.

This points to one possible culprit--video buffer caching issues with GPUs. Why? I got rainbow textures on maps on this map once. Other than that--I dunno.

Things I've tried:

1. Latest drivers for GPU/dx/etc etc.
2. Turning off Ambient Occlusion
3. Turning down detail for ambient related stuff in options
4. Manually disabling SLI for MWO
5. Setting physx to 2nd gpu
6. Deleting shaders folder (over and over)
7. Reboots
8. Pull hair out (I'm not a CPA so I don't want to go bald yet Posted Image )

So, I'm stuck. I have multiple clansmates with the same bug. Everyone agrees the map didn't use to do this. It is now doing it on all maps to a limited extent but mostly--River City.

Who else is getting this? Anyone know of a fix? Other that are getting it--have you reported it?

The bug needs to be stomped out. It is ruining the game now for me. I miss the silky smooth framerates of months ago.

#2 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

bump

#3 Vermaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

I've had my FPS crash to below ten, and then below five. Only seems to happen when I'm in a light mech (the only one I have access to is the trial raven), but I have not exactly run exaustive tests. This did not happen before the most recent patch. I am not professing a megasystem capable of running this game in 60fps constantly, but I usually had 25-30+ in high detail with the occasional drops to the high teens. Now I have it running in medium for the same framerate.

It has happened on River City and Caustic. I'm tempted to uninstall the game, delete the temp/install folders and try a clean download. Dunno if this will help or not, but I can't see it hurting.

#4 GoodVindicator

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

I got similar problems on GTX285 NVIDIA card. Sometimes screen will be black or with squares instead of text and all textures. Rarely windows 7 messages about video driver malfunction and game resumes to normal state after video driver auto-reload by windows.

#5 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

Another thing worth pointing out is I'll get a crash due a "Memory Allocation Error" when this is happening on rare occasions, also. They had deemed this solved by the devs but, well, it isn't.

#6 why485

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

I've had this happen to myself when playing. I have 4GB of RAM and sometimes I just flat out run out and then experience exactly what you're talking about. The best I could do is just to close as much stuff as possible to free up as much RAM as possible. Not much else I've been able to do.

#7 Wispsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

I have this same isssue far too many times on river city as well, and I use an i5 :/

#8 Buzz313th

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

I think we are talking about the same thing here...

there may be a solution.. See this thread

http://mwomercs.com/...ated-4-fps-bug/

#9 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

Yeah that is very similar indeed. I think the only thing saving you from disk access hell is your 8 gigs of ram versus my 4. Either way, it is a severe problem none of us should be having.

#10 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

Bump. This is a serious problem that deserves developer attention.

#11 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Okay, I just did a complete, fresh re-install. Problem still persists. Rivercity is pukingly bad. I want to just delete the map.

#12 Kaputnik

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 52 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Tried my Workaround?
http://mwomercs.com/...udden-fps-drop/

it already helped a few players i know.
Cant tell if it absolutely will help you but i believe it will do so!

#13 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hmm nice little batch file there, thanks!

I was hoping there'd be more than the shaders folder but it is a start I suppose until PGI really fixes it.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 30 October 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#14 Azaadia

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

I am running i7920 with 6Gigs Ram and 460GTX OC with SSD and HDDs. I run the game in LOW graphics at 1920x1080 Fullscreen. Well, my frame rates dies (literally slow motion) every couple of sorties. Most of the time I can play without issue. Sometimes, I get stuck in the intro scene where everything is orange tint. I don't think this game is ready for prime time yet. Too many bugs. Sometimes the Mech Lab freezes and I cant save and changes to my mech and the only way to launch a sortie in this situation is the Trial Mechs.

#15 TunaR

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

bump. Used to run well, now every game is 4 FPS, all the time. Needs immediate Dev support.

#16 Scop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

I've received a freeze-frame image a few times on Frozen City (always while heading towards the tunnel) and once on Forest Colony. On all but one occasion I was able to work-around by going for my Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). When I tried to select the Task Manager, it jumped me right back into the game, where things were moving again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users