Fencers in MWO!

52 replies to this topic

#41 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

Ah, re-enactment fighting is different here in Ireland. One of my best friends does it, and he takes multiple trips to the hospital every year for things like getting stabbed in the hand with a spear or catching a sword thrust with the back of his kneecap.

And then, there's the Polish stuff, which the Irish guys can't get insurance to fight at....

#42 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostFaenwulf, on 25 August 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

As an axeman I have to say: Come Here and I'll cut your head off! Your tiny little e-peen fencing tool will never get through my sturdy wooden shield!

Sooo...yeah.

But to be honest: Neither Modern Fencing, Modern Iaido/Kendo or Modern Medieval Swordfighting is anything like the real deal and someone who fought with those weapons for live or death in the ages they were used would just laugh at our silly doodling.
For example: because of the most common rule set we use here in germany ( for example no head/neck hits and nothing below the elbows and knees, and no private parts as well as no thrusting with any other weapon than a spear) it is extremely common to use light weapons and try to hit somebody over their shoulder on the back because of the giant round shields used in the viking age. Would be totally useless in real combat.

Thats why i do Epee, whole body is target, its actually the closest thing you can get to olden dueling(as epee is the dueling weapon, and you would only ever duel to first blood{sometimes death though})

#43 Faenwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 671 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

Yeah, we got some other systems here in Germany, too. Dont worry. But those are only used between experienced fighters. One is called Huscarl which allows for more places to hit the body, and the other is full contact, which is just real, rampant mayhem. Body Checks in Full armor with a 90cm Round Shield and all those funny things.
But nothing for me as a beginner without body armor. Got everything covered from the head to the neck and from the feet to a good bit over the knee as well as the hands to the elbows. Just got to add a bit more padding here and there.
But who needs body armor, really? :)

Well, next years the time for my so long awaited steel lamellar. Those leather things can suck it!

#44 Dreamweaver85

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

Another swordsman who's not a fencer. I've done about 5 years of Iaido. I do want to try fencing at some point.

#45 Sam Slade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

I did alot of fighting against guys that used backsword(highland) and hand and a half(scary, scary weapon) and I always found that mobility, a disengage and a quick jab was preferable too a big heavy weapon.

That was until a guy who was a cop and worked on protection details for Aussie politcians joined(he would use a hand and a half one handed and take a main-gauche in his off hand... ironic name as he was left handed).

#46 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:25 PM

A bit of a necro-bump, to see if any new fencers (or other sword-sport people) have shown up in the MWO community since 2012!

#47 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:57 AM

i repaired a fence once. a bear had tore it up pretty bad, some nails and bailing wire, a few new posts and some lumber and it was good as new.

#48 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:05 AM

I've never trained in kenjutsu, fencing, epee, foil or any other weapon.

But I recognize the skill.

This seems cool. Someone developed a suit of body armor that can withstand full force strikes from blunt force trauma & sharp edge based weapons. The suit has sensors that can measure strike velocity and force and is the basis for what could become an emerging sport.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 22 May 2016 - 05:08 AM.

#49 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:55 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 May 2016 - 02:57 AM, said:

i repaired a fence once. a bear had tore it up pretty bad, some nails and bailing wire, a few new posts and some lumber and it was good as new.

I saw this thread come up and assumed it was a new proposal for an economics/salvage aspect for the game (sell salvage on a black market (ala a fence), etc.). Then saw it was a 5 year old RL thread having to to with the fencing sport. Then your post, which reminded me that I really ought to be outside putting up another few hundred yard of cattle panels.

Wait. What are we talking about again? Stompy robots that build fences with swords??. I'm lost again. I gotta stop drinking. Sigh.

#50 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:16 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 23 May 2016 - 03:55 AM, said:

I saw this thread come up and assumed it was a new proposal for an economics/salvage aspect for the game (sell salvage on a black market (ala a fence), etc.). Then saw it was a 5 year old RL thread having to to with the fencing sport. Then your post, which reminded me that I really ought to be outside putting up another few hundred yard of cattle panels.

Wait. What are we talking about again? Stompy robots that build fences with swords??. I'm lost again. I gotta stop drinking. Sigh.

nah, drinking helps. it helps a lot. why isnt there a drinking thread full of bender memes?

Edited by LordNothing, 23 May 2016 - 04:16 AM.

#51 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 605 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:18 AM

https://youtu.be/OUKzvX9-8F8?t=1m23s

Bout the closest I ever got to fencing!

#52 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

Swordfighting: Not what you think it is.

http://io9.gizmodo.c...you-think-it-is

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users