'stay logged in' checkbox still not working

19 replies to this topic

#1 Rathe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

Are you telling me that even after your huge site overhaul, checking 'stay logged in' at the login screen STILL doesn't work?

#2 Asatruer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

Seems like it still does not work to me.

#3 Ihasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 843 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yes it's most annoying to have to re-log in every hour, especially when the "keep me logged in" box is indeed checked.

#4 Asatruer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

I often have to log back in without closing either my browser or tabs with the forum open, and also on a test I closed all forum windows and opened them back up and did not have to log in. Sessions do not expire by closing the tabs.

#5 Rathe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostAsatruer, on 30 October 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

I often have to log back in without closing either my browser or tabs with the forum open, and also on a test I closed all forum windows and opened them back up and did not have to log in. Sessions do not expire by closing the tabs.

well, the proper way to set it would be so I don't have to log in every single time.

#6 RenegadeMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationUSA's Caustic Valley: Arizona

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostThontor, on 30 October 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

The stay logged in checkbox is not here to automatically log you in.

It's there to keep your session from timing out while you are still at the site. If you close the site, or the browser, it will let your session expire. This is due to security reasons, as your forum ID/password is the same as your game ID/password. And there is real money involved in this game.

This is explained with a few dev quotes that I can find once I get home to a real computer.

This makes a lot of sense, but as a user, it would make a lot more sense to re-title this feature as "Prevent login timeout" or something similar.

#7 Madoc Owain

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationGreenwood, IN

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

I have had to re-log in this morning and have not closed my browser nor restarted my computer in the 2 1/2 hours since I initially logged in. This is actually a behavior change for the worse, from the previous forum, as there at least I could be 'inactive' and remain logged in.

#8 Kribby D

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

Yes the whole "keep me logged in" checkbox is a misnomer and at the very least confuses it's intent. This is extremely annoying. Please either remove that checkbox entirely (as it is not at all doing what it implies it does) or keep the cookie persistent as tabs/browser windows are closed. This is how it SHOULD work and the fact that it doesn't is extremely annoying. What makes this website/forum special from every other forum/website out there with a persistent cookie? You are going against the grain here. Doesn't make sense.

Bottom line: change it.

Edited by Kribby D, 31 October 2012 - 08:24 AM.

#9 Kribby D

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

View PostThontor, on 31 October 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

How many other forums do you know where your login gives you access to real money transactions

More than none.

And that's all fine and well as an excuse, so make the checkbox more intuitive then. That's the real complaint here. The checkbox doesn' tget you the behavior you'd expect from the wording it's showing. "Keep me logged in"... Does that mean forever? For an hour? For... what? It doesn't work like what is "typical" on the web. It needs to change. It should say "keep current session active" or something. It fights agains what the typical user would consider typical behavior from such a function.

For example: my banking website. I have a username and a password. There is a check box. It's accompanying text states: "Remember this user ID?". If I check that, it will remember my user ID over browser sessions. It will NOT keep me logged in over browser sessions; however, there is no expectation that it would given the wording I see for the check box. What I'd expect (and what I get as behavior) if I check the box is that, the next time I go to my banking website, my user ID will be autopopulated and I will only have to enter my password to log in.

Edited by Kribby D, 31 October 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#10 Kribby D

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostThontor, on 31 October 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Completely agree that the labelling of the option is deceptive.

But I don't know of any forum that gives you access to real money transactions and keeps you logged in so that you don't have to actually go to the login page.

Most pay websites, at the very least, allow the cookie to exist across tabs. So paypal for example: yes it forces you to re-log in if you've closed your browser (oh look, it conveniently remembered my username ;) ) but it also remembers your session in each browser instance. If you close the paypal tab without closing the browser window, then go back to paypal, your session is still live. This is true of most "pay sites".

#11 Kribby D

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostKribby D, on 31 October 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

Most pay websites, at the very least, allow the cookie to exist across tabs. So paypal for example: yes it forces you to re-log in if you've closed your browser (oh look, it conveniently remembered my username ;) ) but it also remembers your session in each browser instance. If you close the paypal tab without closing the browser window, then go back to paypal, your session is still live. This is true of most "pay sites".

I retrack this particular post. It seems it is remembering the session over tabs now. So they should change the wording on the check box and I think we are good. :)

#12 Asatruer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostThontor, on 31 October 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

But I don't know of any forum that gives you access to real money transactions and keeps you logged in so that you don't have to actually go to the login page.

How about Steam and Amazon? Both of them allow you to stay logged in, and both of them deal in real money transactions.

#13 Kribby D

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

View PostAsatruer, on 31 October 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

How about Steam and Amazon? Both of them allow you to stay logged in, and both of them deal in real money transactions.

I use both of these and was about to start a list above but decided that if they intend the site to have the behavior it currently has then they just need to change expectations by changing the wording on the check box. However, I'd rather it work like Amazon and Steam.

#14 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostThontor, on 30 October 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

The stay logged in checkbox is not here to automatically log you in.

It's there to keep your session from timing out while you are still at the site. If you close the site, or the browser, it will let your session expire. This is due to security reasons, as your forum ID/password is the same as your game ID/password. And there is real money involved in this game.

This is explained with a few dev quotes that I can find once I get home to a real computer.

Well - even if I don't close the site or the browser it will STILL times out, at least for me ... so I would say that it is currently broken in terms of "Keeping me logged in"

Edited by Mawai, 31 October 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#15 Denim Dan

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Change or remove it because it doesn't do what it says.

#16 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

Connection sessions are expiring despite checking the box and not closing the tab... so its kinda not working.

#17 Hagal

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

They just forgot to hire a User Experience Designer or at least someone, who has a feeling for Interface Design. You can feel it with this checkbox, in the mechlab, in the hud and so on. I therefore seriously doubt the checkbox will change in whatever way.

#18 Elder Thorn

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostRathe, on 30 October 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

well, the proper way to set it would be so I don't have to log in every single time.

the proper, and secure way, is not to do it. When you get your account compromised you will cry about it too, this is one small part of protecting it.

Edit: forgot to add: at least that is what they say ;)

Edited by Elder Thorn, 01 November 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#19 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

This has started up again since the website change / redesign.

Was working for me, finally, prior to that. Or at least I'd only have to log on for a new session; it would stay logged on if the browser was open and on this page.

#20 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostThontor, on 01 November 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

just logged in at home...

the checkbox wasnt even there

Well, now there's no more issue about whether the checkbox does what it's supposed to or not.

(Let's just hope they don't "fix" DHS the same way...eek.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users