19 replies to this topic

#1 Suskis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 276 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

A huge part of Battletech universe is related to dropships, jumpships, warships and aerospace fighters.
Even if this game will start as a mech only combat, wouldn't you love to travel and fight across space one day?

There is a f2p game that has been in developement hell for years now, made by fellow italian programmers (3 people, actually) that looks damn good and it's quite a lot how I'd imagine an Aerotech battle.

(if I where the devs, I'd hire the team or straightly buy them off)

#2 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

It would be pretty neat, but I wouldn't expect it to be implemented into MW:O.

#3 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

That seems pretty cool man - nice find!

#4 El Loco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

View PostSuskis, on 10 April 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

A huge part of Battletech universe is related to dropships, jumpships, warships and aerospace fighters.
Even if this game will start as a mech only combat, wouldn't you love to travel and fight across space one day?

There is a f2p game that has been in developement hell for years now, made by fellow italian programmers (3 people, actually) that looks damn good and it's quite a lot how I'd imagine an Aerotech battle.

(if I where the devs, I'd hire the team or straightly buy them off)

No... I can live without space and aerial combat quite perfectly. But I agree with you, this game looks pretty cool. Rather than implementing aerial and space combat into MWO someone could just develop a BT themed aerial/space combat sim.

#5 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Might be worth a shot. 3 people ain't gonna put a big dent in the budget, provided they can handle CryEngine3 or learn how to handle it in time.

#6 HIemfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

The concept as a seperate game I'd go for. As part of MWO? Not really. ASFs are not Harrier Jumpjets (VSTOL yes, VTOL nope)or any of the more primitive prop jobs. The maps we would need to beable to effectively play them would be enormous (I'm talking the equivalent of hundreds of kilometers/miles) or we would risk high G blackouts and constant stalling.

As for the video, why does the fighter move like it has a stick stuck inline with the body of the craft? Think the dime 'sims' that came out a little bit before the pinball machine. It is a bit disturbing to me.

#7 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

Balooning and exploiting angle restrictions in aiming on ground combat is not wanted nor needed in my opinion,
and reading the devblog and FaQs the devs think the same way.

#8 Corwin Maxwell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 198 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Depending on the success of MWO, they devs at PGI might look into developing and launching a seperate game under the title of AeroTech Online. that would be nice i would like to see what they would and could do with that system.

#9 AC

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

A combined arms aspect could be fun. Aerospace plus battletech vehicles. Some of the Vehs were pretty vicious. Alcorn tank anyone??? :angry:

#10 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

Very cool looking project.

I think the Devs have plenty on their plate to keep them busy for a few years to come. That being said, I personally would enjoy seeing some combined ops.

Cheers.

#11 wwiiogre

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

combined ops for me as well, but in time when this game is done and the Dev's have no other mechs to make, then yeah add some vehicles and some AI and some Aero and even dropships and some cool first person or coop game modes. But first make this game perfect or better and have all the mechs in. Then combined arms works for me, but first get melee in please.

chris

#12 Hound

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

I would love to see it but I don't think it will ever be implemented into this game. The battleships, dropships, fighters, and jumpships were an awesome part of the universe that always intrested me.

Edited by Hound, 10 April 2012 - 11:08 AM.

#13 Grimm Gunn

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 62 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis MO

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

View PostEl Loco, on 10 April 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

No... I can live without space and aerial combat quite perfectly. But I agree with you, this game looks pretty cool. Rather than implementing aerial and space combat into MWO someone could just develop a BT themed aerial/space combat sim.

As far as I'm conerned,, you have so many people Pop Tarting now... So what the H*ll do we need more flying now?.....

#14 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Mechwarrior Living Legends was designed for combined arms, but I don't think MWO is going for that kind of game

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 10 April 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#15 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostHIemfire, on 10 April 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

The concept as a seperate game I'd go for. As part of MWO? Not really. ASFs are not Harrier Jumpjets (VSTOL yes, VTOL nope)or any of the more primitive prop jobs. The maps we would need to beable to effectively play them would be enormous (I'm talking the equivalent of hundreds of kilometers/miles) or we would risk high G blackouts and constant stalling.

As for the video, why does the fighter move like it has a stick stuck inline with the body of the craft? Think the dime 'sims' that came out a little bit before the pinball machine. It is a bit disturbing to me.

Actually, all Battletech Aerospace fighters are capable of VTOL takeoff and landing, it's necessary when they're operating in non atmospheric conditions (such as landing on a moon) This has been stated by btech developers many times.

#16 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

If that is representative of aerial combat in a mech game then please keep it out of MWO. I was bored out of my mind watching that video.

Maybe down the road you could include a space battle area, where ASF and dropships battled it out, and the planetary combat could revolve around mechs. Kind of a two round map battle system. For right now though I'll stick to mechs.

Edited by Listless Nomad, 10 April 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#17 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Moving down to OT.

#18 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Its the Battlemechs that everyone wants i think they should focus on those.

#19 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Didn't they already say MWO will NOT be Combined Arms?

#20 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

From memory the aerospace fighters in BT act more like the fighters in Babylon 5. They have vectored inertia and they face independently of direction they are moving in.

I could be getting confused because while I owned a copy of aerospace I didn't really play it.

As far as having it in the game, I think having control of aerospace support and perhaps the ability to deploy dropship assets is about as far as the game should go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users