Why are you in House Marik?

136 replies to this topic

#1 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

I know this topic has probably been posted before ever since the forums went up, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask the same question again now that new players, like me, came in with open beta launching:

Why are you going to declare allegiance to House Marik?

For me, it's a bit of two things: For one, I don't like space-feudalism, so just about all the other houses are right out. I know that's probably a gross over-simplification of the Battletech lore but that's the impression I get from all the other houses. The second reason, I have to admit, sounds really hipster: The most popular houses (which seem to be Davion, Steiner, and maybe Kurita - or at least they were the most popular all those years ago when I played the tabletop game) are too "mainstream". My excuse for being repelled by that is because in ANY game with factions, not just MWO, the more popular factions always seem to attract the most small kids and flat out horrible players.

So for me, that left 3 other houses to choose from: Liao, Rasalhague, and Marik. Well, I already mentioned I don't like space feudalism, and while Liao is actually an autocracy, I still don't like it. Plus I just flat out don't want to be the mustache-twirling bad guys which is the impression I always got from House Liao (again, perhaps a gross oversimplification). Which left Rasalhague and Marik. No offense to anybody who are dedicated to Rasalhague, but the way they seemingly popped up out of nowhere in the Battletech lore just seemed to me like a single Battletech writer came up with his own glorious pet faction that he wanted to ram right into the Battletech lore one day, and found a way to arbitrarily just shoe-horn it all in suddenly (it's for a similar reason that I don't like the clans at all).

So that left Marik who, I'll admit, seemed to be one of the factions that have had the least attention paid to it as far as lore goes. And that's fine with me because, given the nature of how community warfare is supposed to be when MWO officially launches, it means we have a whole lot of wiggle room to blaze our own trails and put our own stamp on battletech history (provided the devs stick to the hype and let us take over - or lose - certain planets) - my hope is that with player influences on the game, the developers will also reflect this in newly written lore even though we are effectively just re-living history. Marik has always been portrayed as a "great house" that pretty much just sat still effectively doing nothing while the rest of the galaxy was on fire and just sold weapons and mechs to everybody else. Perhaps with community warfare, Marik can be portrayed as a much bigger "mover and shaker" in the battletech universe as players blast each other to pieces for their respective houses.

I'm fine with Marik eventually being a "doomed" faction down the line - Marik, to my knowledge, never got completely stamped out. Just like Rasalhague. That just makes them the underdog, which is fine with me.

Well, those are my reasons. No doubt somebody who is much more well versed in Battletech lore will be by shortly to detail out how my perceptions about everything I've mentioned are wrong. But how about you? Why are you going to align yourself with the purple eagle?

Edited by Signal27, 03 November 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#2 Clubs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Why did I choose FWLM? Because the money's good, the scenery changes and they let me use explosives.

#3 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

View PostSignal27, on 03 November 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

a single Battletech writer came up with his own glorious pet faction that he wanted to ram right into the Battletech lore one day, and found a way to arbitrarily just shoe-horn it all in suddenly (it's for a similar reason that I don't like the clans at all).

I feel this way about a LOT of the smaller factions/periphery world things, merc corps too. So much Mary-Sue-ism in the lore, oh well. I chose Marik because it's 1)Space A-Marik-A, 2) the only one that really respects freedom and diversity in this 'grim-darkness-of-the-future' kind of thing. Once I joined marik I found a great community with a respectful attitude.

#4 Tomman

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

I actually joined house marik by accident....

Got tired of Pugging and did a BING search for a group with TS and FWLM was the first to pop up.
Stayed for the people!

Don't know a lot about the Lore of the game but I like dropping with the guys in Marik. Especially the guys in the 4th Regulan Hussars... which is why I joined them.

www.ToTheKnife.com

#5 StrogginOff

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

My favorite color is purple.

#6 TimTheEnchantor

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

I originally was a merc back in the Solaris days. I bounced between matches and really didn't have any loyalty. A family member of mine was in Marik the entire time in the Desert Rats. When it came time to realizing that being a merc wasn't all it was cracked up to be, I decided to pitch in and join the Rats. That wasn't my only consideration though. I agree with how Marik is governed, more so than any other house. I also agree with the OP, I feel that we may have a shot at providing the history books with some Marik pride on the battlefield - and that is the best thing I can hope for to bring me to what I really wanted as a merc, but couldn't.

#7 Mark Brandhauber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 291 posts
  • LocationYorkshire United Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

I picked The Free Worlds League for a few reasons, as a lore geek the Free Worlds League appealed to me because of all the Inner Sphere states it has the least referenced in the novels ( I like to think I'm writing the History....), It has the most diverse cultures forming it's citizenry. The Industrial might of the Free Worlds League manufactures some of my favorite mechs (shadowhawk, rifleman and wolverine) The same industrial might that would eventually be a prime factor in turning back the clan invasion as it was the only state un-touched by the clan invasion.
When I joined the free worlds league military back in closed beta (as a total noob!) i was greeted as a new mechwarrior warmly and with patience (as i was a unaware member of the dragon bowling league). The guys helped me learn to play the game see the threats on the field focus fire and win.
It's been over a year with them now (some of the guys here have been free worlds league for decades) and i want to throw out a thankyou to all those who have helped me in the excellent community of the free worlds league military
To all those at www.house-marik.net thank you carry on the great work

#8 Tahuti

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Shortly after the open beta started I looked for a faction to join. Merc'ing didn't appeal to me well. The whole world today is about money so I'll have a break at least in MWO. Reading the faction politicial systems and descriptions I decided to join The Free Worlds League. After a while I got to the BT sourcebooks that stiffed my loyalty.
One of the first units that I played with was the 4th Regulan Hussars. Their playstyle was simillar to mine and the players are great. (Yes! You guys!)

I also joined for the reasons of fiding my peoples legacy in MWO. (I am a Polish) FWL has elements of slavic cultural heretige and as we know the Marik family origined from some Eastern Europe nation of Holy Terra.

House Marik? Space-Rome. Pax Romana!

Long live our military ruler Thomas Marik! But most more: Long live the Free Nations!

#9 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

Nice thread necro. ;) :(

Anyway...

I chose House Marik and the Free Worlds League because I like the unit lore. To me, the individual units in the FWL just seem cooler than those in the other Great Houses (yes, I have all of the Field Manuals and other sourcebooks to compare them -- I'm a lore junkie). Plus I like purple -- my high school's colors were purple and white and my NFL team's colors are purple and gold.

#10 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I thought the segregating of the House forums was to encourage necros like this...

#11 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

Necros are fine, we need more life in this forum.

Oxymoron.

#12 AkiZeta

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

I joined them because there is respect in society diversity and in personal freedom .. I don't like feudal systems , dictatorships , and all this human grinder political systems .. I had a dilema if i would join this one or Mercenaries .. Mercenaries are closer to what i wanted fom the " personal freedom " point of view , you have no bosses , you are the boss of your own destiny and so on .. But i sympathize this faction , it's a hope for humanities future in this grim era ...

Edited by AkiZeta, 18 September 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#13 Chaotee

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

They told me I would get cookies...!

#14 DyDrimer

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationRight here.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

I got into it almost 30 years ago at a con I went to and won a table top tourney, one of the prizes was membership into fasa's ace's/ fan club and I had read a few of the books And enjoyed the lore behind Marik so I joined.

#15 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

Because it is the only "democracy" in the Inner Sphere :)

Posted Image

#16 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

Originally, I joined because back in MPBT: 3025, the day I loaded it, there was a bonus for joining House Marik. Met some great people that I've been in various games with for over almost 15 years.

Other than that, they have the BEST bacon in the Inner Sphere

#17 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostChaote, on 20 September 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

They told me I would get cookies...!

Sorry about that miscommunication...

#18 Sixzero

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC. Canada.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

I did not have a choice.

some RL friends who play asked me one day 'do you like battle tech' and i was like. "yes, ALL MY YES" and they where like, Join us in our house/unit, its and I was like, "and if i don't" and they where like 'find new friends to play with....'
so I joined but then met a HUGE and AWESOME community of mostly adults in the FWLM and now I am a happy member of the FWLM.

the FWLM is a great group for all players, hard core and casual alike. good friends, good drops and good times.

#19 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostAym, on 20 September 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

Sorry about that miscommunication...

It wasn't a mis-communication. Cookies were our position at the time.

Edited by Roadbeer, 22 September 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#20 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 22 September 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

It wasn't a mis-communication. Cookies were our position at the time.

Metacritic reviews of the cookies are in...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users