What is Required to gain a 'Spotting Assist'?

12 replies to this topic

#1 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

It seems so sporadic at times. Sometimes they come easy and rapid-fire...even on the same target, other times I dont get sqwat.

I guess its one of those things I havent fully figured out after all these months...I thought I had.

#2 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

If you're the first to target an enemy that others target and fire upon (and hit, I think) you get a spotting assist for each one. I sometimes get three-four in a row as I call out a target and the LRM-boats let loose.

Edit: Nice sig, by the way :)

Edited by stjobe, 04 November 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#3 Daycrist Bloodfang

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Where do they get these sigs?

#4 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

You need to have the target in your line of sight and in sensor range, you need to be locked on to the target, and a teammate must be shooting lrms at it. You can get one spotting assist per target per teammate.

#5 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

View Post***** n stuff, on 04 November 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

You need to have the target in your line of sight and in sensor range, you need to be locked on to the target, and a teammate must be shooting lrms at it. You can get one spotting assist per target per teammate.

Not just LRMs, any type of damage done to the enemy can get you spotting assists - I get them a lot in the middle of a furball since it seems I'm one of the few people bothering to actually press R to target enemies...

#6 That Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

i think you get the spot bonus if the shooter does not have LOS to the target (so IDF and very long range fire)

#7 Desavian

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Omg... you get bonus if youre the first to _SEE_ enemy even without targeting it _BUT ONLY_ if one of your team will target it.

#8 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

View Poststjobe, on 04 November 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

If you're the first to target an enemy that others target and fire upon (and hit, I think) you get a spotting assist for each one. I sometimes get three-four in a row as I call out a target and the LRM-boats let loose.

Edit: Nice sig, by the way :)

Thx...actually, it was your sig that inspired me to make it :)

#9 oO Biohazzard Oo

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 8 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

IMO, Spotting assist is broken, if I the scout seeks out and find the enemy, that of itself should be a spotting assist. If nothing else, we know what is out there!

If scoring is tied to a team mate actually hitting an enemy I have risked my life to spot, then %%%%(%$$$^&*(#@# spotting!

With ECM, a scout's job, particularly if he is in a mech that can't have ECM (really stoopid concept by the way) is made almost pointless.

If the reason I'm not getting spotting assists is due to enemy ECM, and I just "happen" to be in position to eyeball them, then Houston, we have a problem!

Please fix!

"Only IDIOTS and NOOBS fire in the DZ!!"

#10 Thomas Dziegielewski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere - St.Ives - CERES METALS, AAlcadis Revised Underground Complex, B5

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

An ally LRMs(verb) the target you were the first one to spot(target) and keep until damage was dealt.

There is other criteria.

I am trying to convince design to make the bonus based on damage dealt by ally. It will make it more fair.

#11 BlacKcuD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 229 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationmwo-builds.net

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostThomas Dziegielewski, on 26 February 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

An ally LRMs(verb) the target you were the first one to spot(target) and keep until damage was dealt.

There is other criteria.

I am trying to convince design to make the bonus based on damage dealt by ally. It will make it more fair.

Any news on that? A complete rain of death shower resulting in destruction should be worth more than just holding in a reticule for a few seconds until some missile bruises it. Would feel much more rewarding that way and encourage people to keep the target locked!

#12 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Where can I find my mech's sensor distance? I've been playing a spider on the vanguard for 9-12 games now, and get perhaps 1 spotting assist per game if that.

The times where it really is irritating is when I get spotted first as a light (scout?) mech and start taking fire before anything has shown up on targeting.

Is there a detailed examination of how spotting works? Because I'm getting really frustrated with no mechanics framework to build from.

#13 XSerjo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostUncleKulikov, on 01 April 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

The times where it really is irritating is when I get spotted first as a light (scout?) mech and start taking fire before anything has shown up on targeting.

Theme about max sensor range: http://mwomercs.com/...-sensors-range/

It's bad idea for scout to stay close then max range of enemy's radars. That's my opinion: taking highest position and spotting enemys by your eyes is MOAR effective then radar scouting. It allows you to detect enemy movements form max viewdistance (2000m) and gives you more protection, more time for your teammates to take good position. But.. It is not "spotting assist".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users