How To Make User.cfg Work Again (+ Patched Sys_Spec* Files)

284 replies to this topic

#1 BladeXXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Here we are...

TL;DR version (as wished): go and play tetris! fin!

The Topic title and following passage is outdated within the new Terms of Use.
Spoiler

However... there are still some usefull tips in this thread - so have a look...

##########################################################################################

user.cfg from Colonel Pada Vinson [just corrected FOV] (system: E8400/4GB/HD4870) [tested - looks fine for me!]:
Spoiler

A newer one by Colonel Pada Vinson tweaked for Nov. 20th patch:
Spoiler

user.cfg from betocorp [removed FPS limitation!] (system: C2D 2.0 gts9600m 4Gb) [tested - looks like sh**, trees invisible >10m]:
Spoiler

And here is the latest user.cfg (v1.2) from Yaros (works worse for most, but some mentioned going fine with it!):
Spoiler

...and here one for Hi-End which I'm using! (author??? - got it somewhere from beta forums once upon a time - changed/overridden some cvars on the end [marked] for me because of my 1GB VRAM limit!):
UPDATED: corrected HDR an color!
Spoiler

I give no promises for the configs... if one of them works for you: fine ... if not: tough

With DX11 (some day...) this configs will be outdated ... but I hope some clever guys will fix it asap! :-)

Remember to clean/delete the Cache folder, if you make huge changes to your user.cfg!!!

##########################################################################################

Still low FPS?

Reduce your resolution:
set 1280 or something around - that's enough for seeing all details.

Give the game a higher CPU priority:
open task manager and apply "high" to MWOClient.exe (if you get a error message about admin rights, so you have to show all users processes in task manager first)
The easy way for Windows Vista + 7 + 8 (NOT TESTED ON XP!):
Download and run this registry file: mwo_high_prio.reg (Mirror: mirror)
This makes MWOClient.exe run with high priority by default.

Stay with standard and try to find the bottleneck of your system:
Install MSI Afterburner (just for OSD Server) and HardwareMonitor (http://www.hwinfo.com)
Configure (use g00gle) them to monitor CPU, GPU, RAM and VRAM usage in game.
Your VRAM usage should not go over 90% (close to 100% will limit your GPU usage!) ... also avoid to low usage (waste of resources). The texture slide bar (advanced options menu) affects directly to VRAM usage!
Your CPU usage should not go over 90%... Reduce some sys_specs if it does (advanced optiions)
If your GPU usage is 99%, that's OK - so you have no other bottleneck! If a lot below, so something else is limiting - need to dig a little deeper.

Have fun!

Edited by Egomane, 18 May 2014 - 08:18 AM.
Removed links that replace MWO client files

#2 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thx for repost.
Vote for pin :) .
Now we need some cfgs usable in latest patch.

#3 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

due this post

******* Betty
Currently in the game, available by .cfg command only. Will be turned on in
November with new dialogue, which sounds freaking awesome. Anyone seen or
heard our new trailer. Hint Hint. Answer: Yes.

Some1 know which cfg command i have to add?

#4 Staplebeater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...ow/page__st__20

in this post

#5 thorglen

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

tried the low spec config above and it makes caustic uberbright for the first 3 min or so. any idea why?

#6 Card

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLenoir, NC

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Great work, guys - thank you very much.

#7 Lufos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

well done, thanks again!

Edited by Lufos, 05 November 2012 - 04:26 AM.

#8 Taawus

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

No disrespect but, TL;DR?

I think I got confused somewhere along the way, I had it working on a previous version and now, poop.

#9 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

My current user.cfg file

Spoiler

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 05 November 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#10 Jammers

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 37 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

was looking for this post, thanks for re-posting. Do you have the high end settings as well by any chance?

#11 BladeXXL

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostTaawus, on 05 November 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

No disrespect but, TL;DR?

I think I got confused somewhere along the way, I had it working on a previous version and now, poop.

I can't follow you... TL;DR? what?

#12 Eleck

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostBladeXXL, on 05 November 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

I can't follow you... TL;DR? what?

It stands for "Too Long; Didn't Read". He wants you to put in a summary, or an "ADHD section". I'm ADHD and had no trouble reading through it. :)

#13 DontCare

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

I did everything according to te guide, but game keeps kicking me out after logging in, any thougts?

#14 BladeXXL

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostEleck, on 05 November 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

It stands for "Too Long; Didn't Read". He wants you to put in a summary, or an "ADHD section". I'm ADHD and had no trouble reading through it. ;)

thx :-)
can't help ppl who don't take time to listen or read!

I have 4 sections separated by ###:
- attributes.xml
- patch
- user.cfg
- tips and monitoring

No need to open 4 separated threads! :)

@DontCare:
Is this happening since you have modified your user.cfg?
If so: clean it again and delete the cache folder... also try to delete your profile folder (make backup).

#15 DontCare

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, that started after i did this, but i couldnt make the game work even after i restored everything. I guess i will reinstall it.

#16 evlkenevl

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Some of this can be confusing to folks that haven't followed all the posts from the last few months, especially to non-programmers.

According to what Blade wrote, to use his patch you first install the patch THEN set all the sys_spec settings in attributes.xml to 0. Is this correct? If it's supposed to be THAN, it would mean use the patch instead of setting them to 0 manually.

Also, past versions of these required attributes.xml and user.cfg files to be read-only. Still the case?

"Note: if you don't change a cvar inside your user.cfg so it will be set to the value of "High" (sys_spec = 3) by default!
That's what it should be!" To me this appears to say "a custom user.cfg must be used or these changes to attributes.xml will default to 3".

Not complaining, just being cautious about changing things when the wording isn't quite clear.

#17 TechMech

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

There are no work arounds, Streaks don't streak, SRM's are worse than before.
LRMs are the new weapon of choice as they have insane value, and pass threw most obsticales

#18 BladeXXL

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

View Postevlkenevl, on 06 November 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Some of this can be confusing to folks that haven't followed all the posts from the last few months, especially to non-programmers.

Sorry if it is... any suggestions?
btw.: You don't have to be a programmer to read a xml file or unzip a package! :-)

According to what Blade wrote, to use his patch you first install the patch THEN set all the sys_spec settings in attributes.xml to 0. Is this correct? If it's supposed to be THAN, it would mean use the patch instead of setting them to 0 manually.

No! You have either to set the attributes to 0 OR apply the patch and disable within the sys_spec* scripts!

Also, past versions of these required attributes.xml and user.cfg files to be read-only. Still the case?

It was never required to be read-only... some clueless guys wrote this in combination of setting the values to "-1".

"Note: if you don't change a cvar inside your user.cfg so it will be set to the value of "High" (sys_spec = 3) by default!
That's what it should be!" To me this appears to say "a custom user.cfg must be used or these changes to attributes.xml will default to 3".

Right! Setting attributes to 0 implies a custom user.cfg. But as wrote: you can apply the prefered sys_spec* settings in user.cfg before customizing.

Not complaining, just being cautious about changing things when the wording isn't quite clear.

I've asked in an other thread to help me with the right "wording" ... noone who requested THIS thread answered! (as usual: take - no give)
If you have any emprovements for the text... so I'm listening! :-)

@TechMech: switch to Tetris! Final release, no bugs, no workarounds, no S/SS/L-RMs! Perfect harmony!

#19 Yaros525

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts
  • LocationKiev, Ukraine

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

Don't know what devs changed in Nov'06 patch, but performance got much worse for me, will look at cvars again. Brawls are around 25 fps or less, was twice of that before. Caustic is unplayable for me. Don't think it's graphics code turtling the game, but netcode changes instead.

I see ~50% GPU and ~40-60% CPU usage, so...its just slow-coded.
It has something to do with line-of-sight trace, since looking at the clear scenery gives me nice 60 fps (sys_MaxFPS = 60) but once there are mechs onscreen, it gets much much worse.

Or, it's a temporary counter-memory leak measure, since I have 1- 2 sec freezes from time to time.

P.S. add gp_mech_hide_self_shadow = 0 to enjoy animated self-shadow. )

Edited by Yaros525, 08 November 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#20 Blindman25

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

I see you paste config with High settings or for high resolution.
Can you paste code for very bad PC? With resolution 800x600 or 1024x768 and very low settings.
I would be grateful

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users