#1 IceSkraven

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

This is my newest, most favorite build.

4xMachine Guns
1xFlamer

It's like that Honda Civic with a fart can you see driving down the road with a huge aftermarket spoiler and a stupid body kit. You know it isn't fast, they know it isn't fast, everyone knows it isn't fast. You know you would still drive it cause it's amusing as hell.

#2 MementoMori

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

My current 3C variant:

200 XL (81kph)
Endo steel - 208 standard armor
2x AC5
4 tons of ammo
1x Medium pulse

Really good sniper mech. I could swap for a 1x Gauss if I ever feel bored.

This is my 2nd favourite build:

3xAC2
1xSPL
3 tons of ammo

#3 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

XL 280
ER Large Laser
Ultra Auto Canon 5
3 ton ammo
full upgrade most importantly double heat sinks
save tons on arm and leg armor
its good not the best mech but find it better than the
XL 200
2 x UAC 5
little armor

#4 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

i will try the 3 ac2 sounds interesting :D and super annoying for enemy snipers and atlases XD
they getting very scared from ac's

#5 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

so i tryed the 3 x AC2 and well its fu%@%+ AMAZZZING its the scariest mech ever. Set one button to chain fire the next 4 an alpha strike. well if u pressing both at the right time... than u get a really beast machine gun :D aim for the head and your enemy going blind and screen shake all the time waoo nice. i made 300 damage in firs try. also lowered my armor for more ammo.

Edited by Flying Judgement, 07 February 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#6 DC1

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

1 LB 10-x (3 ammo)
1 medium laser
3 machine guns (1 ammo)
XL 300 engine
Endo steel frame

Not too powerful, but, with the recent patch, it's a great crit finisher. That, and it's fast. You could get ferro armor for an extra .75 tons, but I haven't done it yet just because I don't want to spend the c-bills.

Edited by DC1, 24 February 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#7 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

The guys on MechSpecs had a convo about 4 machine guns... Definitely the Honda Civic build of Mechs LOL

#8 Warge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 24 February 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

The guys on MechSpecs had a convo about 4 machine guns...

Tried 4MG + LPL. Even 4 MGs still useless...

#9 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

MG's do exactly what they're supposed to. 4x MG can easily put out 20 CDPS with a measly 1.6 DPS. They aren't made for destroying unarmored components, they're for destroying items within unarmored components.

#10 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

View PostSelfish, on 25 February 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

they're for destroying items within unarmored components.

So why I couldn't destroy unarmored Catapult's items? Mech was totaly unarmored exept legs (LRMs work), but even 4 MGs did nothing: lasers, missiles, nothing at all was destroyed. I and died in front of those damn Catapult. :D

Edited by Warge, 25 February 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#11 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostWarge, on 25 February 2013 - 02:47 AM, said:

So why I couldn't destroy unarmored Catapult's items? Mech was totaly unarmored exept legs (LRMs work), but even 4 MGs did nothing: lasers, missiles, nothing at all was destroyed. I and died in front of those damn Catapult. ;)

You need to land about a second of fire into the component with the items you want to destroy. Aim them consistently like you would with lasers, otherwise you'll spread damage around and not get the intended effect. Also, you need to know, or have a guess, at what is in the target component. An empty component can eat crits all day and it won't have any benefit. If you sustain fire on the component for about three to four seconds with 4 MGs, and can confirm the component was the one getting hit, chances are nothing is left in that component. Even 12 SHS (120 HP) would would be hard pressed to survive that level of an attack.

#12 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostSelfish, on 26 February 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

You need to land about a second of fire into the component with the items you want to destroy. Aim them consistently like you would with lasers, otherwise you'll spread damage around and not get the intended effect.

1 LPL + 4 MG: I did 3 full circles around Catapult, constantly firing, None of the enemy's weapons turned red. No effect.
Maybe I'll try this build after getting "master" for module slot, but right now I put 2 AC/2 + 1 LL, at least I can make 1-3 kills in battle.

#13 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostWarge, on 26 February 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

1 LPL + 4 MG: I did 3 full circles around Catapult, constantly firing, None of the enemy's weapons turned red. No effect.
Maybe I'll try this build after getting "master" for module slot, but right now I put 2 AC/2 + 1 LL, at least I can make 1-3 kills in battle.

MG's crit a lot for little bits of damage, which means if your opponent has a lot of similar sized items in a component you will need to destroy nearly all of them before you start seeing the effect of the crits. I'd recommend prioritizing components and sticking with them, then switching to another if it's available.

Take a look at the first clip here. I hovered over the Atlas' back to deal damage. After stripping the RCT I pecked it a bit as I moved to the opened front. This was in hopes to break through his engine and get shots on the often center mounted ECM module. I was originally going for the AC/20, but when I saw the LT open up I switched to it. That's where the D-DC carry the majority of their burst, and it's crucial to pull them out. I destroyed all three on my first pass (1.5s) while an ally took out the AC/20. The DDC lost all of his main weaponry in a matter of seconds.

#14 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostSelfish, on 26 February 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

Take a look at the first clip here.

I see... weapon, that needs skill and accuacy. For team players only.

#15 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostSelfish, on 26 February 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

MG's crit a lot for little bits of damage, which means if your opponent has a lot of similar sized items in a component you will need to destroy nearly all of them before you start seeing the effect of the crits. I'd recommend prioritizing components and sticking with them, then switching to another if it's available.
-snip-

I was playing with the same build myself today! From what I can tell, MGs definitely knock out components very quickly when massed. Opens up some new possibilities for a mech like the CDA-3C. Remember that they can also be used to trigger ammo explosions.

There is a discussion to be had about how viable this is. Myself, I like it. I think it gives mechs like the CDA-3C, DRG-5N, and SPD-K a leg to stand on, something they can DO with all those hardpoints they don't have the tonnage or slots to really use. I certainly find using them a lot of fun. In terms of pure usefulness though, I have to wonder. You are probably still better off using a heavier weapon and just tearing out entire components and blowing off legs than trying to MG them out piece by piece.

All in all, great buff to mechs designed around multiple MGs, unlikely to make them super common any time soon. Good stuff.

#16 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 26 February 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

There is a discussion to be had about how viable this is. Myself, I like it. I think it gives mechs like the CDA-3C, DRG-5N, and SPD-K a leg to stand on, something they can DO with all those hardpoints they don't have the tonnage or slots to really use. -snip-

Yes. When it comes to unrequitted crit seeking these kinds of mass MG builds are very strong, but it's also my opinion that just critting on its own isn't reliably useful and lacks rewards. Damage is easily rewarded through kills, kill assists, component destructions, and damage done. Crits aren't useful if the component is simply unarmored, since it needs items in it that are useful to destroy. It's a situational game. I find I can go a couple matches before a good opportunity to crit someone arises.

I think some of it is because there are no rewards or real feedback to the critical system. I started a thread on suggestions for adding an item critically destroyed stat--similar to the component destroyed stat/reward. I think the ability to know when you've critically destroyed something would be useful as well. Items like heatsinks are 'silent'. You won't know where they are, you won't know if you've destroyed them, and your opponent might not even care.

I must say the 3C is my favorite of the bunch. Fast, makes a lot of noise, and the PPC is a hoot. Would I say it's it better than a 2 ER PPC 3M? Not really. I just enjoy the 3C a lot more. This was definitely a step forward for these kinds of mechs. I hope to see more.

#17 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostSelfish, on 26 February 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

I think some of it is because there are no rewards or real feedback to the critical system. I started a thread on suggestions for adding an item critically destroyed stat--similar to the component destroyed stat/reward. I think the ability to know when you've critically destroyed something would be useful as well. Items like heatsinks are 'silent'. You won't know where they are, you won't know if you've destroyed them, and your opponent might not even care.

Definitely. Better/any feedback when you destroy an item on an enemy mech would be great. Hell, it would be nice to be notified when your own stuff is destroyed! Sure you can look around your mech and find the monitor with the sinks listed and tell that way, but that is far from the most useful or intuitive way to know you're losing crucial equipment.

A reward bonus similar to component destruction and TAGing would just make sense as well. Not a huge amount of cash, but a little bonus to recognize the contribution to the team.

As a note, if you see the enemy has an exposed CT, it's often worth pelting it with MGs even if there are no weapons in it. Extra heatsinks slotted in the engine can be destroyed by MG fire and ammo is plentiful.

#18 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

Is two months old too old for a resurrection? I didn't realize the whole "one free mech"-thing when I got my 3C, thinking it would be a good starter mech to learn the controls and a fun build. Whups - now I'm kind of stuck with it. Still, after a lot of tweaking, I've found a few fun builds.

First, I dumped in a 300XL (121kph), Ferro armor, Endosteel (since I don't have MC yet), then I started hunting for builds that helped in the harassment role. I put in a Beagle to help in the scout role and with all the upgraded "light stuff," I was able to pump the armor way up (SO worth the cbills) and an AMS (I seemed to be targeted by LRMs a lot, pre-PPC spamming).

I should say that the bane of my existence is Jenners, but I think that's true for everyone. All of my builds do best running out and capturing a resource point and then running back to the herd, and/or backing up the bigs, either plinking off back armor or harassing Lights away from my bigger teammates.

A little put off by the refire rate on the PPC, I dumped it and went with an Ultra AC5 and machine guns. The Ultra jammed a lot, so I switched it up to a regular AC5 and had a lot more luck - I put a TAG in the energy Hardpoint and had a lot of fun spotting, scouting, and generally being annoying. But only averaged about 70points of damage a round (RIGHT??).

I'd get loads of assists, but almost never got a kill. The AC combined with the MGs would really enrage opponents, though: I'd have Atlases chase me across the board, getting nailed by far more dangerous mechs which, of course, was the point. Of course, the survivability rate for that sort of thing isn't real high, sooo...

Recently, given that most people that run LRM boats also have TAGs of their own and Artemis systems, I dumped out the TAG and put a regular PPC back in, dumping the fun but ineffective MGs for an AC2. This build? Fun AND I'm getting a few kills. I'm also noticing that, since I can actually hurt an enemy mech, I'm not dying as quickly and still able to scout and run around and be obnoxious.

Jenners can still kill the crap out of me, though.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 23 April 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#19 PaleRyder

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

WOW If I knew that 3rd person was going to be implemented I NEVER would have bought into the Overlord package. This will completely open the game to exploits and totally ruin the simulation of being in the cockpit of a mech. The in ability to select maps, weights should have been a focus not the completely ridiculous 3rd person view. It was a joke in the original MW game and you were able to bid FFP on to get rid of all the people who just exploited the game. POOR choice of your time and development skills. Why do we still not have the ability to bid games or select que for specific maps or weight classes?

#20 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

Nevermind. Can't fit 4 ac2s.

Edited by Flagrant, 05 August 2013 - 08:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users