Real world price for Mechs

85 replies to this topic

#21 Mister Haha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

View PostAbrahms, on 05 November 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

So its $60 to gear up the trees of one mech

no. $60 to get 3 mechs - but at least 3-4 days of playing after that to actually gear up all the trees.

so basically, not much of a steal for the player. lol

i have to admit i totally broke down and bought one of the atlas models because i couldn't stand it anymore. then i converted XP because the model doesn't fit my playstyle at all.

definitely felt akin to "pay-for-convienience", but on a clearly fabricated convenience (and yes, all of them are fabricated, i know) rather than feeling like a more rewarding or legitimate convenience. like a boost in C-Bills, or a cool visual change.

there's no doubt the speed tweak for my atlas did wonders.. nearly 2x the kill average per game, instantly.

Edited by Mister Haha, 05 November 2012 - 12:39 AM.

#22 D34K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 304 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

You converted MC to Mickey Mouse money. This still isn't real a currency.

I only understand gold standard or a medical-grade crack equivalent.

#23 Landsharkk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Locationnear Seattle, WA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostSean von Steinike, on 05 November 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

Or, free, if they play enough games. Don't forget that part.

Doing some testing of my own I was able to average about CB 553,328 per hour using the Trial mechs with PUG's only. During that same time, match length averaged about 8 minutes and 30 seconds. That means it averages just over 7 matches per hour.

If you wanted to max out all the jenners it would take about 9 million CB total. That's roughly 18 hours of non-stop grinding (129 matches), if you just saved up enough to buy all 3 at once. Then you need to actually play each of those jenner mechs long enough to get XP to unlock all the pilot stuff, plus another few million CB (read: Several more hours of playing) to get enough CB to cover the cost of buying your own weapons/equipment for your bought mechs.

In the end, just to max out the jenner (buy them all and unlock all XP), you are looking at what, like 40 hours of playing (280+ matches)? And that's at the low end.

Now let's say you want to max out the Atlas. You need 43.2 MILLION CB to buy all of the Atlas mechs. That's over 86 hours of grinding (or 602 matches), and that's BEFORE you add the time/cost for weapons/equipment and for the XP needed to unlock the pilot skills. You are easily looking at 120+ hours of playing for that (at least 840 matches).

Edited by Landsharkk, 05 November 2012 - 12:43 AM.

#24 Gunghoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationThe Swayback with 9 Medium lazers, brawling like the beast. Over past that valcano!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

This proves my opinion the mecs are roughly 40% too expencive. If they keep the current price I will never buy a mech maybe other things but never a mech. Unless it is something super awesome hero mech.

#25 tarksosin

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

I've been playing for...three, maybe four days now. Not a founder, blah blah blah. Easiest way to up Cbill earnings is to join the public TS server. Went from 60k or so per match to 80-100k depending on how I did. Generally loaded up the trial Awesome and rained forty-five seconds or so worth of LRMs down and then played guard for the real LRM boats. After the first night of this, picked up a Jenner. Been a blast, and I've earned more than enough to pick up other mechs, but have instead focused on building the Jenner out (endosteel, XL 300, ferro-fibrous, etc.). Looking to pick up the six laser hardpoints one for some variety.

Besides, isn't the point of a game to play it? Call it a grind or whatever you want to, but even getting my *** handed to me in the trial mechs I was still having fun and learning from my mistakes. I'll grant you that if you want to get in a big customized Atlas, yeah, that's gonna take a lot of time. But, at that point, I'd say look at the cost/benefit of dropping the nearly thirty dollars. At federal minimum wage in the US, you're looking at four hours of a shift to pay for the most expensive one. Don't drink Starbucks for a week. If you'd rather trade that four hours for the 86 hours of grinding, that's your call. Me? I figure I'll never go above a medium chassis (I love scouting) so I'll save the MC I'm going to eventually purchase for skins, bobbleheads, and other things of that nature. But, to each their own.

#26 MouseNo4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 630 posts
  • LocationVictoria Australia

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

You guys keep referring to the journey as a hard slog, a grind that is anything but enjoyable. Just because earning something takes a while does not mean you can't feel good about having worked hard for it. Yes getting to the end will take a while but you are not exactly working a second job.

You should enjoy the journey rather than complain about the number of bumps in the road and be happy for having earned what you set out to obtain.

MWO isn't about being at the end 5 mins after starting. Being at the end only provides a small bonus to what your ALREADY DOING. This isn't a game where things magically change completely when you reach the end.

#27 potatoparrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostMouseNo4, on 05 November 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

You guys keep referring to the journey as a hard slog, a grind that is anything but enjoyable. Just because earning something takes a while does not mean you can't feel good about having worked hard for it. Yes getting to the end will take a while but you are not exactly working a second job.

You should enjoy the journey rather than complain about the number of bumps in the road and be happy for having earned what you set out to obtain.

MWO isn't about being at the end 5 mins after starting. Being at the end only provides a small bonus to what your ALREADY DOING. This isn't a game where things magically change completely when you reach the end.

I must say the following though: I've already got plenty of hard journeys in my life. I play video games to have fun, not to work even more. When I finish a big, complicated 3D model and render it out I think "Yay, I've accomplished something - It wasn't terribly fun, but the end result is what matters!"

When I play a video game, if it's telling me to work for my fun then I'll say "How about no, all these other games are offering me fun now."

#28 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

The main problem is that you're not gaining any XP while you grind out for a real mech, which essentially means you're wasting your time so you can waste your time again with a real mech, before you have a mech you want - or you can buy it straight away, and not waste your time.

A more annoying feature is not gaining ANY GXP while in trials.

#29 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Very interesting table, you also need to compare the MC "Packages" they have available right now. the $20 for an Atlas actually translates to $30 as you need to buy the 6k MC pack. Very interesting table though, and useful information in a way.

#30 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostRiceyFighter, on 04 November 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

Just go eat top ramen for a few days if you don't want to grind a week for c bills. 12.50 can buy you an awesome which is still a good assault mech.

Sounds perfectly single and collegeish to me... talk about taking me back a decade or more... I think they are right, the price seems fair for the most elite of mechs and unlike most F2P games, at least you can still earn them over time...

#31 Monkey Bone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

You used to get a full mechwarrior game for 20 bucks. Now its only a ******* atlas.

#32 Schrottfrosch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

Ok just to compare these prices to WoT, the only other similar game to that matter: 2500 gold is 10 € - a MAUS tank is roughly 6 Million of their credits. 1 Gold tranlates into 400 Credits:
2500 * 400 = 1 million credtits = 10 € for 1 million credits
10€ * 6 = 60 € for their biggest tank atm
US Dollar is at 1,2839 €
So 60 * 1,2839 = 77,034 $ for a MAUS tank

In that light - 20$ for an Atlas is CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 potatoparrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

View PostSchrottfrosch, on 05 November 2012 - 01:53 AM, said:

Ok just to compare these prices to WoT, the only other similar game to that matter: 2500 gold is 10 € - a MAUS tank is roughly 6 Million of their credits. 1 Gold tranlates into 400 Credits:
2500 * 400 = 1 million credtits = 10 € for 1 million credits
10€ * 6 = 60 € for their biggest tank atm
US Dollar is at 1,2839 €
So 60 * 1,2839 = 77,034 $ for a MAUS tank

In that light - 20$ for an Atlas is CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something has gone horribly wrong with either the layout, the mathematics or my reading comprehension if a tank in WoT costs 77 THOUSAND dollars.

#34 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

I think the costs are a little off in my honest opinion. I missed out on the founder due to a thread that i misread. Was looking at the MC packages and its definitely a bit steep. 14.95 for 3000 MC is quite alot of cash for a relatively small amount of MC. What i think alot of people are miss understanding here is your buying a single mech for a single experience. Then what happens if you buy the mech and you dont like it? Thats lost real life currency. Yea you may buy an atlas for 20 bucks but how many load outs can you actually equip it with? And then if you want to level the tech tree you need 3 Atlas. Then you have to buy some Mech bays. I'm not saying the mechs arent worth the money paid. Im saying the time frame of enjoyment on your purchase is a limited time experience. I doubt many people could run a HBK 4G for 10 hours + without getting bored. I think 6000 MC for 15.00 would be closer to the mark. I feel like you have to compare the in game value of the mechs you could purchase with another games monthly fee for unlimited access. I think PGI lowering the prices a bit would encourage players to purchase more mechs and create a much larger hanger. Look at steam games. THOUSANDS of Steam users buy game bundles that are on sale because their so cheap, and then they never end up playing them, they buy them because theres no real risk of loss. Making a 5 dollar purchase is alot easier to gamble with then a 15 dollar purchase.

#35 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

View PostJings, on 05 November 2012 - 01:56 AM, said:

Something has gone horribly wrong with either the layout, the mathematics or my reading comprehension if a tank in WoT costs 77 THOUSAND dollars.

rofl i couldnt stop laughing. Yea something horribly wrong by that math.

#36 Vosje

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

To be honest: I don't worry about these prices so much. Yes you have to grind as a ftp-starter. What else is new? Not getting XP for your trials, does bother me a bit. I'ld prefer having a small amount of XP along having a small amount of C-Bills for a job well done. But if I like a game, I'll get those unlocks just for doing what I love most later on. I mean, it's not like we have an end-game to get to.
Now, I'm a casual gamer, so people will allways have a headstart on me, either bought or earned the hard way. Will I spend money on the long run? Likely on skins or other fluff, but mechs I'ld like to earn. Or maybe even better: Salvage :lol:

#37 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

View PostJules Gonzales, on 05 November 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

You used to get a full mechwarrior game for 20 bucks. Now its only a ******* atlas.

Blame inflation.

#38 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

Why does everyone say that they need to play for a week to get a mech? I saved enough money for two atlases in a five days of playing or so ... Given ou only do this once, it isn't that bad.

#39 Mykaelous Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

I was expecting it to be about 5-10 bucks for a mech TBH.

#40 RAM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

View PostJules Gonzales, on 05 November 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

No MechWarrior (or indeed Battletech) game was ever $20 new upon release.

(I do concede that the MPBT: Solaris box was $20 iirc, but that might have been on sale and you still had to pay connection charges)

RAM
ELH

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users