• LocationVictoria Australia

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Posted Image

MC cost calculated via the following formula:
http://mwomercs.com/profile/credits
  • $6.95 -> 1,250MC = $0.00556 or a little over half a cent per MC
  • $99.95 -> 25,000MC = $0.003998 or a little under half a cent per MC
  • Split the difference = $0.001562
  • Add this number to the cheaper price to achieve best approximate price depending on how much MC was purchased.
  • Result = $0.004779 per MC
Just for general information - no motive intended. Had a few people in TS wish to know just how much a mech is worth in real world money.

EDIT - My bad, somehow i chopped off the final mech. :/

Oh and please dont attempt to calculate your Founder's MC with this formula was you cannot accurately do it without knowing the price of your Founder's mechs nor any of the other bonuses you obtained with your purchase. Yes 20,000MC would equal approximately $95.58 but this number cannot be used to value it when you were given other things besides this.

Edited by MouseNo4, 04 November 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#2 potatoparrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Around $20 for an Atlas.

Ouch.

#3 Frosted

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Thank you for compiling this.

#4 Secundus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'd be less bothered by the high prices if there were more game modes and maps to make the game more interesting in the long run. If the game had more variety to keep things interesting in the long run would take away from making it feel like a grind which then turns into a job which then turns into what's the point?

#5 Valder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

View PostSecundus, on 04 November 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

I'd be less bothered by the high prices if there were more game modes and maps to make the game more interesting in the long run. If the game had more variety to keep things interesting in the long run would take away from making it feel like a grind which then turns into a job which then turns into what's the point?

They're coming. Read the PCGamer article in this month's issue (december), it talks about Advanced Assault with base defenses that can be destroyed/controlled and Dropship Mutator where you drop into the same battle 4 times. New maps will probably be once every 2 months, new mechs 1 a month.

Personally, I just love tearing things apart with my Dragon. It never gets old.

#6 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

View PostSecundus, on 04 November 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

You make it sound like these things are not in the works....

#7 VlCTOR

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationSC-USA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

I thought this thread was going more this direction. http://suidobashijuko.jp/

#8 RiceyFighter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostJings, on 04 November 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

Around $20 for an Atlas.

Ouch.

I honestly think 20$ for an Atlas is a very good price point. You are buying the biggest mech with the biggest load out. The Atlas K is the exception. Just earn your XL engine.

Remember all these can be earned by saving up money. Except the Hero Mech which isn't that great in the long run.

Edited by RiceyFighter, 04 November 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#9 MouseNo4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

View PostVlCTOR, on 04 November 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

I thought this thread was going more this direction. http://suidobashijuko.jp/

Cute, but old old news.

#10 potatoparrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

View PostRiceyFighter, on 04 November 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

I honestly think 20$ for an Atlas is a very good price point. You are buying the biggest mech with the biggest load out. The Atlas K is the exception. Just earn your XL engine.

Remember all these can be earned by saving up money. Except the Hero Mech which isn't that great in the long run.

Woah there, let's compare what $20 can get you aside from a single 'mech in an online game. I'm gonna have to turn that into British Pounds Sterling, though, which gives me about £12.50.

£12.50 is a restaurant meal. £12.50 is an entire pizza to myself. £12.50 is two, maybe even three indie games on Steam. £12.50 is around 2300 Riot Points, which can net you maybe 4 different Champions, or 3-4 Skins - More if you wait for sales. £12.50 is too much to spend on a single 'mech.

#11 RiceyFighter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

View PostJings, on 04 November 2012 - 11:43 PM, said:

Woah there, let's compare what $20 can get you aside from a single 'mech in an online game. I'm gonna have to turn that into British Pounds Sterling, though, which gives me about £12.50.

£12.50 is a restaurant meal. £12.50 is an entire pizza to myself. £12.50 is two, maybe even three indie games on Steam. £12.50 is around 2300 Riot Points, which can net you maybe 4 different Champions, or 3-4 Skins - More if you wait for sales. £12.50 is too much to spend on a single 'mech.

I think is the perfect price for THE BIGGEST and MOST EXPENSIVE MECH. 20 bucks is not a lot in the long haul. Just go eat top ramen for a few days if you don't want to grind a week for c bills. 12.50 can buy you an awesome which is still a good assault mech.

The developers have to make money somehow. If this game was completely free, this game would have shut down within a few weeks of beta.

Also you get to keep these mechs for life.

Hell there are other games out there where you will get the equivalent content power for 50 bucks a month.
No one is forcing anyone to use cash, hell this is probably the only game where it closest to F2P and not P2W model.

Edited by RiceyFighter, 04 November 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#12 Valaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Purpose misspelling of the Yen-Lo-Wang?? We usually call it the Yellow Wang lol.

#13 potatoparrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostRiceyFighter, on 04 November 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

I think is the perfect price for THE BIGGEST and MOST EXPENSIVE MECH. 20 bucks is not a lot in the long haul. Just go eat top ramen for a few days if you don't want to grind a week for c bills. 12.50 can buy you an awesome which is still a good assault mech.

The developers have to make money somehow. If this game was completely free, this game would have shut down within a few weeks of beta.

No one is forcing anyone to use cash, hell this is probably the only game where it closest to F2P and not P2W model.

I'd say LoL is doing much better in the F2P side. TF2 is also sitting pretty as a prime example of F2P.

MWO right now is sort of... Waddling up to the line and sticking a leg over it, then pulling it back and giggling.

Lots of the things you have the "option" of buying are... Less optional than many would assume. Trial 'mechs are, simply put, not fun. Not even remotely fun. They are bad. They are cannon-fodder. They are default, optimized and balanced for a different game which leads to them being horribly obsolete here. The XP bonuses, CBill bonuses and just plain acquisition of 'mechs... Well, without it you're locked into trials for a long time.

True, there is no pay wall per se in MWO... But there's a pay hill. The boosts, the money shortcuts and the convenience are what currently make this game fun. I will be perfectly honest: If I didn't start with my Founders Jenner, I would not play this game because of how un-fun the trial 'mechs are. They are just bad. Food for the fire. Lambs to the slaughter.

Me and two buddies regularly play together. You know what trial 'mechs are to us? Free kills. Nothing more. They offer no resistance not due to any failure on the pilot's behalf, but simply due to the fact that they aren't using a "real" 'mech because they haven't forked over that cashola.

MWO is... Damn close to crossing the line. It is certainly not a shining example of F2P.

#14 RiceyFighter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

View PostJings, on 04 November 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

I'd say LoL is doing much better in the F2P side. TF2 is also sitting pretty as a prime example of F2P.

MWO right now is sort of... Waddling up to the line and sticking a leg over it, then pulling it back and giggling.

Lots of the things you have the "option" of buying are... Less optional than many would assume. Trial 'mechs are, simply put, not fun. Not even remotely fun. They are bad. They are cannon-fodder. They are default, optimized and balanced for a different game which leads to them being horribly obsolete here. The XP bonuses, CBill bonuses and just plain acquisition of 'mechs... Well, without it you're locked into trials for a long time.

True, there is no pay wall per se in MWO... But there's a pay hill. The boosts, the money shortcuts and the convenience are what currently make this game fun. I will be perfectly honest: If I didn't start with my Founders Jenner, I would not play this game because of how un-fun the trial 'mechs are. They are just bad. Food for the fire. Lambs to the slaughter.

Me and two buddies regularly play together. You know what trial 'mechs are to us? Free kills. Nothing more. They offer no resistance not due to any failure on the pilot's behalf, but simply due to the fact that they aren't using a "real" 'mech because they haven't forked over that cashola.

MWO is... Damn close to crossing the line. It is certainly not a shining example of F2P.

Then it comes down to, How will the developers going to make money? If the developers make the game entirely easy, no one is going to pay for some premium content or mechs.

Everyone complains about bug fixes and more content, but we going to have to pay for it somehow. Yes things can be a bit expensive but overall it keeps the game running.

Option A ) Play for a week in your trial mech and you will get enough C-Bills for a hunchback, centurion, or jenner

Option B ) Fork out 5 to 10 dollars to start out.

Honestly that is pretty dang cheap to start out, other games like WOT requires probably 50 dollars to get a foothold on the game.

Edited by RiceyFighter, 05 November 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#15 potatoparrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

View PostRiceyFighter, on 04 November 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

Then it comes down to, How will the developers going to make money? If the developers make the game entirely easy, no one is going to pay for some premium content or mechs.

Everyone complains about bug fixes and more content, but we going to have to pay for it somehow. Yes things can be a bit expensive but overall it keeps the game running.

Option A ) Play for a week in your trial mech and you will get enough C-Bills for a hunchback, centurion, or jenner

Option B ) Fork out 5 to 10 dollars to start out.

Honestly that is pretty dang cheap to start out, other games like WOT requires probably 50 dollars to get a foothold on the game.

The only thing that concerns me is that if I step back and look at this game as an outsider (as in, not someone who's been playing MechWarrior since he was 3 years old) I see the following:

It's an "F2P" game that lets me either dive in with a 'mech that isn't even remotely fun to use, or I can pay to start having fun.

Any other game and I'd be put off immediately. F2P games don't earn their money from initial purchases, they earn it from the long-time players, the goofballs who just want to funnel their money somewhere. League of Legends offer just skins for cash - I will quite happily throw my money at Riot to turn Kog'Maw into a butterfly just like I will throw money at PGI to have a Hula Girl in my cockpit. What I will not enjoy is finding myself needing to spend that money on something like the very thing needed to enjoy the game.

I just think the entire trial premise is broken right now - Trials are awful and don't even fit what they're meant to be. Surely a trial 'mech is for someone to try the chassis and see if they like it? Instead they're more Grinding 'Mechs. You play in these terrible 'mechs until you can afford a good one - Have fun!

It needs fixing, really.

#16 MouseNo4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

Dont know how or why the topic got changed to F2P, trial mechs and other game titles.

#17 SpiralRazor

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

One could, if one wanted to, bring up Poxnora.

Its free to play as well, but even LESS fun then MWO when it comes to what your starting battlegroup is....Ive gotten some kills with the starter Awesome..

I never won a SINGLE game with my starter battlegroup in Poxnora, against another human.

I have to admit though, Riot blows everyone else away on the F2P scene...by far...even WITH that ******** tribunal thing.

#18 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

The Cicada 3M purchased with c-bills is totally a steal.

#19 Abrahms

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

So its $60 to gear up the trees of one mech

unlikely players will buy into a game that costs so much for so ltitle... but hey, ya never know

#20 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

View PostAbrahms, on 05 November 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

So its $60 to gear up the trees of one mech

unlikely players will buy into a game that costs so much for so ltitle... but hey, ya never know

Or, free, if they play enough games. Don't forget that part.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users