Scout-Killer Build?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Gaeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hey folks,

I often play Atlas (from the first rulebook I ever bought waaay back when, just so nostalgic) and those Jenners/Commandos/Cicadas just run circles and pick me to death. Now and then I want to drop in a scout hunter/killer to get even.

I put together a Hunchback 4SP to be my scout killer (2 SSRM-2, 1 LL, AMS, stock armor/engine) but its not getting the job done as well as I'd hoped - feels slow and has trouble keeping them in sight.

What's your recommended scout-killer mech/build? Looking for a light/medium, preferring medium!

#2 NthDegree256

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but a Centurion with a LB 10-X AC and SSRMs seems like it would be bad news for a scout. The new CN9-D might be a good basis for it, since it also has a beefy engine (for better speed and torso-turn speed), although it comes stock with Artemis and SSRMs don't take advantage of that.

I like to run in a Jenner with DHS, a few medium lasers, and double SSRMs to put the hurt on other lights; I generally come out on top when going 1-on-1 with another light, and have decent odds at winning 1v2.

#3 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

The CN9-A and CN9-AL would be good scout hunters.

For the A would put in an LB 10, 2 med pulse, 3 SSRMs and an AMS. With 2 tons of ammo each for the weapons.

For the AL I have 3 ideas.

Large pulse, TAG for LRM spotting, 2 med lasers (or pulse), and 2 SSRM with 2 tons of ammo. Squeeze in a faster engine.

2 Large lasers, and 2 med lasers. A faster engine 250 rated it possible.

4 med lasers, either all standard, pulse or a combination, 2 SSRMs 2 tons of ammo. 250 rated engine.

Oh and don't forget the heat sinks.

All of the hunchbacks except the 4G can make a good light mech killer.

#4 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Needs weapons on the arms first. Second enough speed and twist... then SSRMs. Surprising COM 2D is not bad. Only had one jenner that could out turn me. (I havent played light mechs too much though, and he was all upgraded) I would assume cents and hunchies built for speed and twist wouldnt be too bad because they have more armor than a jenner, and way way more than a commando.

Pulse lasers are also good, and surprised I havent seen more LPL because they do more damage, and less beam duration/cycle time... perhaps too much heat/weight for speed builds.

Also this. http://mwomercs.com/...d-scout-killer/

Edited by BlackSquirrel, 08 November 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#5 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:57 AM

One of the best scout killers I've played which wasn't a light was actually an awesome with 4xSSRM2 and 2xLL. The key to kiling lights is having weapons in arms with both up/down and side to side movements. A dragon with a big engine does the job pretty well as well.

#6 Enemista

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

View PostGaeb, on 08 November 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hey folks,

I often play Atlas (from the first rulebook I ever bought waaay back when, just so nostalgic) and those Jenners/Commandos/Cicadas just run circles and pick me to death. Now and then I want to drop in a scout hunter/killer to get even.

I put together a Hunchback 4SP to be my scout killer (2 SSRM-2, 1 LL, AMS, stock armor/engine) but its not getting the job done as well as I'd hoped - feels slow and has trouble keeping them in sight.

What's your recommended scout-killer mech/build? Looking for a light/medium, preferring medium!

get tag on that 4sp with 2ssrms, 3medium pulses, larger standard engine (about 240), dhs, endosteel and scouts will fear you

#7 0NEHALF

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:10 PM

Stormcrow is best at this job - 1 tag + 5clanstreacs6 + 104km/hr )))

#8 Veolfen

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:30 PM

Mad dog too guys, 6 streaks + tag + small lasers Posted Image I know it's not a med, but because it's a clan mech, it goes fast.

Edited by Veolfen, 08 February 2016 - 11:31 PM.

#9 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:23 AM

View PostInveramsay, on 09 November 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

One of the best scout killers I've played which wasn't a light was actually an awesome with 4xSSRM2 and 2xLL. The key to kiling lights is having weapons in arms with both up/down and side to side movements. A dragon with a big engine does the job pretty well as well.

You can do that same build on a KTO 19 with a hell of a lot more speed and agility. Or you can trade the 2 LL for 3 mpl. The KTO 18 can boat 5 ssrm2 and 2 mpl with almost as good agility as the 19.

#10 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:35 AM

I recommend using pulse lasers instead of standard or ER along with duration quirks. But SSRM are probably the best scout killers around, so Clanners have an advantage here. A well placed AC 5/10/20 shell or SRM volley is great too, but requires good aiming and experience. Make sure you mount 360 target retention module against circling enemies.

You could also practise with your Atlas with a friend and try to get those SRM6s on his cheetah/firestarters/etc. With Artemis it's more of a "all or nothing" while without Artemis the spread can be useful (spray&pray).

Edited by Exard3k, 09 February 2016 - 05:40 AM.

#11 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:44 AM

In the Atlas put your back to the wall. Any wall will do.

Shoot them as they circle in front off you. Seismic or 360 sensor will let you know when they are getting back to your front arc.

#12 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:06 AM

Your options to hunt down lights would a KTO with a big engine or a Crow. I've provided other ways but these typically travel with your assaults and pick off lights because they are too slow to keep up.

KTO example:
KTO-18

Crow example: obviously you can add energy weapons if you want.
SCR-D

Hunchie:
HBK-IIC-B

Cent:
CN9-A

Edited by mogs01gt, 09 February 2016 - 06:14 AM.

#13 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,965 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:13 AM

I use my Ice Ferrets

Posted Image

#14 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:41 PM

Any Fast med pretty much, One of the crabs can use a xl 350

Treb 3c xl390 one of the cents Its funny when they run away thinking there safe but when they turn around there you are just be careful not to get dragged into the enemy team

#15 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostFanto, on 11 February 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

Any Fast med pretty much, One of the crabs can use a xl 350

Treb 3c xl390 one of the cents Its funny when they run away thinking there safe but when they turn around there you are just be careful not to get dragged into the enemy team

Not enough missile hard points to be a threat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users